Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

That is very true. That is why in my previous post I stated IS220d 2005-2009, as the IS200d which came in 2009 was sorted. However, t still drives me mad when people with IS220d are coming and looking for a ways to increase hp and remove DPF - exactly opposite from what had sorted IS200d.. Lexus reduced the power of the engine and majority of reliability problems wee gone.

On 03/12/2016 at 11:36 AM, Linas.P said:

That is very true. That is why in my previous post I stated IS220d 2005-2009, as the IS200d which came in 2009 was sorted. However, t still drives me mad when people with IS220d are coming and looking for a ways to increase hp and remove DPF - exactly opposite from what had sorted IS200d.. Lexus reduced the power of the engine and majority of reliability problems wee gone.

The DPF removal is what bugs me most.

Oh BTW instead of just a visual assessment of DPF presence in the MOT, the government are currently looking at ways to assess DPF function and check whether it is actually there.

• Like 1

Same here... as for more power we simply know it will kill the engine, but that is owners own risk. But DPF removal is outright crime and been so officially since ~2012. Somehow it is still not enforced during MOT's

Me 2 can't understand why people want to remove dpf for more power it's sufficient for a 2.2 diesel car.why get is220d get v6 or v8  if u want power. if u do lot of motorway miles any way dpf will not block. if u gonna do 4-5k per yr get any petrol car or is250.

Isn't it illegal or mot failure to remove dpf.normally just remove filter in dpf so can't even tell if it's been removed, next poor owner have to fork out 1000-1500 for dpf replacement. 

Met few ppl with bmw with 525d dpf removed, they know garage get mot passed but next poor owner will get penalised. could be me or from forum 

There should b more depth checks on mot if dpf is still there. 

I having nothing against diesels had lots of diesels in past as had no dpfs was used for lot of miles but now diesel not appropriate that y got is250. 

I tend not to look at is220d problem threads much anymore. but I've had mine for 5 years, I've had the usual problems. had them sorted and she's still chugging on great :) . done close to 40k miles in her and reaching 140k miles and I still love every minute of it.

• Like 1

Passed one going the other way this morning, plumes of muck from the back end, took a few minutes for the smell to disappear from inside my car.

Just glad I wasn't following it, a very poor advert for Lexus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyv said:

Passed one going the other way this morning, plumes of muck from the back end, took a few minutes for the smell to disappear from inside my car.

Just glad I wasn't following it, a very poor advert for Lexus.

That is why my A/C is always on re-circulation when driving in London (obviously not because IS220d only, there are worse offenders like vans and cabs). I only use fresh air at the very start while getting from garage on small side street and turn it to re-circulation and filtration as soon as I join main street. I don't understand how people can drive in London on "fresh" air. I am not surprised that according to research drivers are more affected by pollution than cyclists, when I realised how many people are using A/C on "fresh" air in traffic or have windows open.

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That is why my A/C is always on re-circulation when driving in London (obviously not because IS220d only, there are worse offenders like vans and cabs). I only use fresh air at the very start while getting from garage on small side street and turn it to re-circulation and filtration as soon as I join main street. I don't understand how people can drive in London on "fresh" air. I am not surprised that according to research drivers are more affected by pollution than cyclists, when I realised how many people are using A/C on "fresh" air in traffic or have windows open.

I tend to use recirc a lot, but it was damp and foggy this morning, so had it on fresh, until meeting the aforementioned Lexus, of course.

• Like 1

happens... it sometimes drives me furious. I sometimes click on air filtering before switching to re-circulation and when filtering goes off after 3 minutes, it sets everything back as it was (so back to fresh air). It doesn't takes long for me to start looking around for something burning, before realising I have "fresh" air coming from some diesel in front of me.

But I must say .. petrol cars are usually not a problem, but if you are following diesel it is impossible to bear the stink straight away.

Mikeyv I had same problem with my is220d . chucking out lots of smoke on my way to and from work and I found it really embarrassing so took it into lexus bristol who identified the 5th injector to be the problem. After some reprogramming of the ecu it corrected the problem.

I don't want to bash the diesel but even the guys at lexus admitted it was the worst car ever produced by lexus and the majority of their repair work is carried out on the is220d . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

I don't want to bash the diesel but even the guys at lexus admitted it was the worst car ever produced by lexus and the majority of their repair work is carried out on the is220d . 

This is kind of statement where I start feeling sorry for Shahpor... 

• Like 1

Hehe, cheers Linas, but it's fine :smile:

Each to their own.  I still believe that a lot of problems that the dealers are taking care of with the 220d are general diesel issues.  It is just that there isn't another Lexus diesel model to compare it against.

Also, of the people on this forum, there have already been a few people, like Ismael and Jamie, that have supported my suspicion that there are more happy 220d owners than perhaps people realise.

Actually, the thing in Rebecca's post that impressed me the most was that they fixed the 5th injector problem with a ECU re-flash. :smile:

On 06/12/2016 at 9:07 PM, Rebecca said:

Mikeyv I had same problem with my is220d . chucking out lots of smoke on my way to and from work and I found it really embarrassing so took it into lexus bristol who identified the 5th injector to be the problem. After some reprogramming of the ecu it corrected the problem.

Glad you got it sorted Rebecca.

As you say, very embarrassing to be pumping out obvious pollution, in these environmentally aware times, bet you got plenty of dirty looks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links