Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering. Hope it doesn't happen to you!

I bought my F back in June, with about 44k on the clock. Within a month a noticed some oddities with the steering, The symptoms only showed on the motorway and were particularly noticeable in marginal conditions e.g. windy days.

You can read up on the full symptoms on the US forum via this link, but in short when making lane changes the steering could exhibit a notchy feeling, exactly as described in L-SB-0016-11.

I picked up the car from the dealer this morning. The good news is that it looks like the issue has been fixed. The bad news, £3.5K for a new steering rack. Thank you Lexus warranty!

I thought I'd share this with you all just in case you come across the issue in the future!

15 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Blimey! Have to love the extended warranty and for the length of time they offer it. Glad it's resolved without incident. 

Cheers bud :)  I'm currently sat in a cafe (AV8), feeling very happy about it :)  @Mark G @Big Rat @emjay82 @Rusty Crobar

, where are you?

IMAG0280.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

I bought my F back in June, with about 44k on the clock. Within a month a noticed some oddities with the steering, The symptoms only showed on the motorway and were particularly noticeable in marginal conditions e.g. windy days.

You can read up on the full symptoms on the US forum via this link, but in short when making lane changes the steering could exhibit a notchy feeling, exactly as described in L-SB-0016-11.

I picked up the car from the dealer this morning. The good news is that it looks like the issue has been fixed. The bad news, £3.5K for a new steering rack. Thank you Lexus warranty!

I thought I'd share this with you all just in case you come across the issue in the future!

Yikes.... Although these cars are well put together the warranty is worth every penny IMO. Glad you've got it fixed and are back on the road @Flytvr

• Like 1

Well myself, @Flytvr and @Big Rat spoke about this last week, I cant remember which dealer it was I spoke to last year about this, they had a customer with the same issue, however he had not taken out an extended warranty and couldn't afford the bill for the repair, the dealer bought the car of him, the guy was gutted.

Glad its sorted mate, and why are you at Kemble without us................

• Like 2

Yeah that's right @Flytvr stuffing his face with coffee and cake at our @Mark G and 🐀 Fav spot while we are working our fingers to the bone saving hard for the steering rack failure fund 😂

Well done matey thankfully the warranty gobbled it up 👍

Big Rat

• Like 3

Just now, Big Rat said:

Yeah that's right @Flytvr stuffing his face with coffee and cake at our @Mark G and 🐀 Fav spot while we are working our fingers to the bone saving hard for the steering rack failure fund 😂

Well done matey thankfully the warranty gobbled it up 👍

Big Rat

Here what's that posh plate on that beautifully silvered coloured 'F' car ?

Big Rat

2 hours ago, Mark G said:

Well myself, @Flytvr and @Big Rat spoke about this last week, I cant remember which dealer it was I spoke to last year about this, they had a customer with the same issue, however he had not taken out an extended warranty and couldn't afford the bill for the repair, the dealer bought the car of him, the guy was gutted.

That's a horrible situation to be in. As the car becomes cheaper it's more likely to tempt people who have the car at the upper limits of their pricerange, especially with the Lexus brand reliability history.  What were they new?  £50k+?  They are unfortunately going to cost like a £50k car to fix.  Thankfully the brand seems to be pretty reliable when compared to rivals but when things do go wrong the costs mount up very quickly.  IIRC £120 an hour labour rate at a Lexus dealer?

I've had 1 radiator replaced under warranty and I'm still in profit from the 4 years of extended warranty that I've bought.  I've been lucky with timing in getting 2 years for the price of 1 each time but they seem to come round so often it can't be that difficult for others to do.  The fact that it includes roadside relay too, I don't understand why you wouldn't do it.  It's only £75 or so a month.

The above sounds a bit pompous, it's not supposed to.  Just trying to point out my logic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chuckie478 said:

That's a horrible situation to be in. As the car becomes cheaper it's more likely to tempt people who have the car at the upper limits of their pricerange, especially with the Lexus brand reliability history.  What were they new?  £50k+?  They are unfortunately going to cost like a £50k car to fix.  Thankfully the brand seems to be pretty reliable when compared to rivals but when things do go wrong the costs mount up very quickly.  IIRC £120 an hour labour rate at a Lexus dealer?

I've had 1 radiator replaced under warranty and I'm still in profit from the 4 years of extended warranty that I've bought.  I've been lucky with timing in getting 2 years for the price of 1 each time but they seem to come round so often it can't be that difficult for others to do.  The fact that it includes roadside relay too, I don't understand why you wouldn't do it.  It's only £75 or so a month.

The above sounds a bit pompous, it's not supposed to.  Just trying to point out my logic.

Absolutely!!! 

Yep @Chuckie478 is right expensive cars have on going costs that match there original purchase price, fact.

If you can afford to buy, run one of these I think it's right to have the warranty for the peace of mind, there are those who say pay into your own monthly war chest for the unforeseen depends if you can be that disciplined.

These things I feel can have the opportunity to bite you badly financially which can sour the ownership experience which is not what any of us want,  the days are long gone when most of us can do our spannering with instances like @Flytvr has had.

Big Rat

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

Yep @Chuckie478 is right expensive cars have on going costs that match there original purchase price, fact.

If you can afford to buy, run one of these I think it's right to have the warranty for the peace of mind, there are those who say pay into your own monthly war chest for the unforeseen depends if you can be that disciplined.

These things I feel can have the opportunity to bite you badly financially which can sour the ownership experience which is not what any of us want,  the days are long gone when most of us can do our spannering with instances like @Flytvr has had.

Big Rat

I once replaced the rack on my 1978 Opel Kadett Estate (1196 cc!). But these days............forget it.

The other thing to remember is that IF the new rack has not sorted out the issue, then I just go back to Lexus.

Once Lexus had fitted the new rack, I set about the more difficult job of attaching some new plates.  I used a screwdriver, a drill and TWO drill bits. That basically exhausted my tool box..... and me! If I've done a bad job, a plate falls off. Imagine if I'd set about the rack myself!

30 minutes ago, Chuckie478 said:

The warranty is great value, obviously you expect to pay a bit more on tyres, fuel, Kemble coffee but the unforeseen costs could be a game changer with a car like this. Still hopeful that Lexus will offer warranty when mine expires in Feb 2018, although I expect they wont offer it at the same price of £895 for 24 months with a 10 year + car. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I once replaced the rack on my 1978 Opel Kadett Estate (1196 cc!). But these days............forget it.

The other thing to remember is that IF the new rack has not sorted out the issue, then I just go back to Lexus.

Once Lexus had fitted the new rack, I set about the more difficult job of attaching some new plates.  I used a screwdriver, a drill and TWO drill bits. That basically exhausted my tool box..... and me! If I've done a bad job, a plate falls off. Imagine if I'd set about the rack myself!

It's no mean feet changing the plates, I also took on this complex engineering task recently with the added complication of doing it in the dark. If you've mastered this @Flytvr the rack would've been a walk in the park :wink3:

• Like 1

Just renewed my warranty before Xmas and it starts when the current warranty runs out in May. There seems to be no problem paying for it while the deal is available.

2 minutes ago, Tom24 said:

How often does the 2 years for £895 offer come up or is it an ongoing deal?

Mine is up end of May and would like to add another 2 years when it's due. 

Its been around for as long as I've owned and been looking for an ISF, 2 years +.

Key Features:

• Coverage available on Lexus models up to 10 years old or 140,000 miles*. 
  • All policies include Lexus Roadside assistance with European cover.
  • MOT Cover included to protect you from unexpected repair bills.
  • Cover for car hire and hotel expenses if required.**
  • Cover for the majority of parts and labour charges.
  • Repairs carried out by an official Lexus Service Centre.
  • Unlimited mileage cover.
My only query is about the upto 10 years old bit.     

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links