Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Since it has been a long time, I think this thread is due an update.

So, close to 3 years of ownership and rapidly approaching 100,000 miles, it is still with me and doing the daily grind well.

The update is that I had a minor service done on Tuesday and the result isn't good...

The things wrong that they have identified:

1. Leak from NSF tyre is from the valve (or tyre pressure monitor specifically).
  2. Drivers heated seat not working properly.  Regardless of the setting used, the seat would heat up to max and then cut off.  This looks like the heating element in the drivers seat is faulty.
  3. NSR shock absorber leaking.  Both fronts are also leaking but only very minor and are apparently still good for a while.
  4. Transmission oil pump noisy.
  5. Rear discs and pads need replacing.

As you can imagine, this lot is very expensive to fix ( £4k to £5k at an estimate).

However, good news!  In typical Lexus fashion, the extended warranty that I (thankfully!) have has agreed to cover most of it.

I am going to be paying for the rear brakes (fair enough), but the warranty company are going to fund the replacement of the tyre valve, heating element, shock absorber and oil pump.

As you can imagine, I am rather relieved and pleased by the outcome, and as usual, Lexus Reading have been superb throughout.

I do need to wait several weeks for the parts to arrive, but since the car is working fine in the meantime, that isn't a big deal. 

• Like 4

Lexus Extended warranty strikes again...

The seat actually makes sense as a warranty job... but shock absorbers?! Or transmission oil pump on 100k miles car?!

I mean it is really unbelievable that things like shock absorbers are covered, any other warranty would have them under "wear and tear" and I assume shock absorbers are the most expensive part here.

I know, right?

I suppose this is another example of Lexus standing by the quality of their cars.

I agree that it's doubtful any other warranty would have agreed to change some of those parts considering the age and mileage of my car (8 years and 98000 miles).

As for most expensive part, I am not sure since labour was included, but if I had to guess then I would say that the transmission oil pump is probably more expensive than the shock.

You know, it is times like these that remind me why I want to stay with the brand for my next car, but sadly I am not sure I like any of the current ones...If they did a ES450h then that would certainly be an option.  The only other one I can think of at the moment is a GS-F, which I cannot afford ☹️

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I know, right?

I suppose this is another example of Lexus standing by the quality of their cars.

I agree that it's doubtful any other warranty would have agreed to change some of those parts considering the age and mileage of my car (8 years and 98000 miles).

As for most expensive part, I am not sure since labour was included, but if I had to guess then I would say that the transmission oil pump is probably more expensive than the shock.

You know, it is times like these that remind me why I want to stay with the brand for my next car, but sadly I am not sure I like any of the current ones...If they did a ES450h then that would certainly be an option.  The only other one I can think of at the moment is a GS-F, which I cannot afford ☹️

Why not get a younger GS 450h Shahpor in early 2023 ?

It too will have a LEXUS EXTENDED WARRANTY and by the time that is nearly expiring there will be a raft of new Lexus vehicles available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

but sadly I am not sure I like any of the current ones...

I am very familiar with this situation... what are they thinking?! For me wanting a coupe it is very very tight indeed!

At least if you looking for saloon, maybe LS500? It seems they have shrunk it a little bit - at least astatically it now looks sportier, more coupe like...and LS price falls like a rock after few years.

• Like 1

Thats a hefty bill to pay, luckily you have a warranty!

I think this is first time I hear that MK4 has leaking shocks! Any idea why? Just age, wear and tear?

Also, why would transmission oil pump fail? 

After issues like above you think rear discs and pads is just a drop in the ocean! 🙂

I need to call Lexus and find out when is mine Battery check, who knows what else they might find while at it! 😞

• Like 1

17 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Why not get a younger GS 450h Shahpor in early 2023 ?

It too will have a LEXUS EXTENDED WARRANTY and by the time that is nearly expiring there will be a raft of new Lexus vehicles available.

That is an option John, but it is still feels strange to me to get what is basically the same car two times in a row.  Perhaps I am being too picky, but I do like to try new things 🙂

17 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I am very familiar with this situation... what are they thinking?! For me wanting a coupe it is very very tight indeed!

At least if you looking for saloon, maybe LS500? It seems they have shrunk it a little bit - at least astatically it now looks sportier, more coupe like...and LS price falls like a rock after few years.

I would love something like this:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Ls-Saloon/500h-35-Premier-4dr-CVT-Auto-jjckzg5

But, alas, I doubt I will be able to afford either buying or running it anytime soon.

Although, I did see a dark metallic RC300h on the motorway today and it looked good.  I am just not sure I can manage with the downgrade in performance.  I should be getting an IS as a loan car for 2 days in a couple of weeks whilst my repairs are being done, so it will be a good time to see how I like it day to day.

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Thats a hefty bill to pay, luckily you have a warranty!

I think this is first time I hear that MK4 has leaking shocks! Any idea why? Just age, wear and tear?

Also, why would transmission oil pump fail? 

After issues like above you think rear discs and pads is just a drop in the ocean! 🙂

I need to call Lexus and find out when is mine Battery check, who knows what else they might find while at it! 😞

I'm sure everything will be fine Vlad 🙂  Yours has a lot less miles than mine.

No idea why the shocks are leaking, but the fact that 3 out of 4 are seems to suggest that they all will eventually.

The transmission oil pump is a strange one, so perhaps my car was just unlucky, just like with the seat.

Yep, I have never been so please to have to pay 'only' £295 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I would love something like this:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Ls-Saloon/500h-35-Premier-4dr-CVT-Auto-jjckzg5

But, alas, I doubt I will be able to afford either buying or running it anytime soon.

Although, I did see a dark metallic RC300h on the motorway today and it looked good.  I am just not sure I can manage with the downgrade in performance.  I should be getting an IS as a loan car for 2 days in a couple of weeks whilst my repairs are being done, so it will be a good time to see how I like it day to day.

Yeah seems worthy upgrade to GS, I like face-lift even better. I guess all depends on how quickly you want to upgrade. If historic prices are anything to go by, then in 2023, you maybe be able to pick-up one like this just under £20k.

I am pretty sure nowadays you more likely to get UX as courtesy car, so I would not count on IS. Quite strange they don't give much ES as courtesy cars either... 

I don't think I will have mine by 2023, but who knows?

Funnily enough, Lexus Reading have CT, IS and UX's as their current loan fleet.  I borrowed a UX on Tuesday whilst mine was being serviced; I wasn't a fan...

I have requested an IS because it is the next best option, and yes, it is odd that they don't have an ES to lend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

CT, IS and UX's as their current loan fleet.

It seems like 2023 is some date in distant future, but I just realised myself it is only 2 years away!

Yes that is same everywhere. In terms of driving dynamics UX is certainly an upgrade over CT, but I just don't understand how did they make it even less practical?!

IS is on another level form the other two and to be fair I would prefer it even over ES as well.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

I am pretty sure nowadays you more likely to get UX as courtesy car, so I would not count on IS. Quite strange they don't give much ES as courtesy cars either... 

Seems to vary depending on the dealer. I've had NXs the last couple of times.

I had NX as a long term loaner when they were fixing my seat, but for short term it is rare i.e. service for a day it is always IS, CT and now as well UX.

I guess maybe they are prioritising bigger/more valuable cars for longer terms.

They did have an NX as I have had that as a loan car before, but they seem to chop and change depending on what they have for sale/sold recently.

42 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yes that is same everywhere. In terms of driving dynamics UX is certainly an upgrade over CT, but I just don't understand how did they make it even less practical?!

I know, I couldn't believe it when I opened the boot and saw how small it was!

13 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I had NX as a long term loaner when they were fixing my seat, but for short term it is rare i.e. service for a day it is always IS, CT and now as well UX.

I guess maybe they are prioritising bigger/more valuable cars for longer terms.

It's whatever the dealership decided to do. You would expect most to go for the cheaper models but I've never had a CT or UX as a loan vehicle from Guildford - not saying they don't use them but I've never had one.

The last time I used Reading, which was 2 years ago, I had a UX when my GS was in for a service. But I had my last service at Guildford and had a NX for the day. Just a few weeks ago my wife's UX was in for half a day getting the CarPlay update installed, again I got a NX as a loan vehicle.

It may as well be dependant on a customer ... 😁

They know I am cheap and will never pay for anything, unless warranty replaces it or it is included already in the service, maybe that is why they don't give me any initiatives. To be fair even IS would be nice, but I almost forgotten how it drives by now... few years back it was always IS, but recently just CT and UX.

31 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

It may as well be dependant on a customer ... 😁

Perhaps it does 🙂

So far whenever I have needed a loan car I have asked what they have available and then request the one I wanted, which is how it usually works out.

Although, I have had to call the dealership directly as the main call centre for Jemca doesn't know what the dealers have at the time.

20 minutes ago, F.A. said:

I’ve had a UX, ES and NX the last few times our cars have been in to Bristol Lexus. 

An ES would be great, but I suspect I would have to suggest I was looking to buy one before they would lend it to me 🙂

7 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

An ES would be great, but I suspect I would have to suggest I was looking to buy one before they would lend it to me 🙂

Especially, for current GS owners it seems to be what they would want to push! If we trust Lexus marketing blurb, then it mean to be the car replacing GS... If all this Lexus product placement would make sense, then any GS owner in theory should be contacted and offered ES.. but perhaps Lexus knows themselves it is not very convincing "up" grade, especially from GS450h.

That is how it works in US - because whole courtesy car thing is partially marketing, so I was told at least i.e. that if you take your car for service, they will always try to match something similar to what you driving, but newer, or the model above... unless you have specific preference. I guess in UK that does not make sense considering they barely sell half of their models and volumes are so low, that matching "upgrade" or what customer wants is not really possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

I wouldn't mind a test drive in an ES at some point. Its the logical upgrade for me when the time comes. However I can't help feeling the Camry is better value.....

1 hour ago, superatticman said:

I wouldn't mind a test drive in an ES at some point. Its the logical upgrade for me when the time comes. However I can't help feeling the Camry is better value.....

It absolutely is, ES feels like Toyota inside. And that is not necessarily bad thing, but it is distinctively Toyota - if somebody sat me blind into it and I would have to tell what car I am in I would say Toyota. It is just absolutely on a different league from GS mk4, GS feels solid, materials are nice to touch etc. on ES materials are "fine", but the feel plasticky, doors feels light, all the panels feels light etc. it just feels like distinctively cheaper car. 

It is a logical upgrade path for me as well, but like Linas says, it might not be as nice as my GS on the inside, so I would need to take a closer look.

I would also need a seriously extended test drive though to see if I could live with the drop in performance.  I admit that most days it probably wouldn't make much difference, but I do like the relaxed nature of my V6 and the effortless way it gains speed.

If only I could afford a GS-F, it would solve all of my problems 🙂

• Like 3

I had an ES300h F Sport for the day as a loan car. If you are happy just cruising around then it was a nice car. 
The interior was a nice place to  be in BUT it was certainly a step below in materials and appearance (in my opinion) than the 4GS. 
I found that it didn’t really gain speed at any urgency when you put your foot down on the motorway, so you may feel short changed in this area if you are moving from the V6 in the GS450h. Personally I felt that it was too sluggish compared to our previous IS250. 

• Like 2

Good to have some insight, so thanks for sharing.

Being sluggish compared to an IS250 is somewhat worrying.  I wonder if anyone has tried it compared to an IS300h, which I can relate to having driven a few.

Of course, all of this is hypothetical at this point, but since I can't imagine the line up changing any time soon, it will probably still be a concern when I come to change mine.

47 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Good to have some insight, so thanks for sharing.

Being sluggish compared to an IS250 is somewhat worrying.  I wonder if anyone has tried it compared to an IS300h, which I can relate to having driven a few.

Of course, all of this is hypothetical at this point, but since I can't imagine the line up changing any time soon, it will probably still be a concern when I come to change mine.

I found it "less offensive" compared to IS300h, it is not faster for sure (0.3s slower actually), but somehow entire car seems more relaxed. IS300h had relatively sporty and responsive suspension, so it felt like it could go fast, but was only let down by the engine.

ES300h just does not feel sporty at all and engine just kind of fits overall "mediocrity" of the car. It has A25A-FXS engine, which apparently it is slightly updated - better fuel economy and in my opinion there is no noticeable dip in acceleration like before, so it blends electric and ICE drive better and it is overall smoother, but just slower... 

Going to ES300h from IS300h... not terrible, less sporty car, but more comfortable. I could argue that IS300h was fundamentally better by being RWD, but realistically any benefits of that were negated by sluggish engine anyways so it is moot point. However, I cannot imagine going form GS450h to ES300h, it is less luxurious, less comfortable and less sporty. Just downgrade in all aspects. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links