Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

19 minutes ago, plastic orange said:

In my case it dripped onto my monoblock and it seemed to seep into the block surface and I couldn't wash it off. Eventually I took a brass wire brush to buff off the stain, but this didn't really get it all off. Prior to this I used brake cleaner, thinners,  power washing, jizer etc, in fact anything I could think of. I wasn't really impressed with it, so have never used it again. It may not affect granite cobbles though, but not worth the risk, put down a sheet before working I'd suggest.

Pete

Thanks.

I actually have some spare cobbles so I will do pre spray test just to see what happens. You are right though that the cobbles may not be affected the same way ,because unlike paving blocks they are nowhere near as porous.

Removed the front & rear dashcams from my MINI Clubman today. I hard wired it so I had to dismantle a fair amount of trim. Got all that sorted, then managed to find the cigarette lighter plug and suction cup mount, so it’s installed temporarily in the Lexus for now.

I couldn’t get the A-pillar trim off at all, I presume you’re supposed to cut the top black clip and replace it with a new one?

when I removed the passenger side panel off the dash I could see some non-original wiring, so I’m not sure what is/was previously installed. A job for another day.

Does anyone have info about installing a new fused circuit from a spare fuse position in one of the factory fuse boxes?

The A-pillar trim was completely dry again today… 🤷‍♂️

Free laugh on me, ordered some generic centre caps for the barge. Ordered based on specs found on this forum. They finally arrived and with the gods allowing a 30min interlude between rainy spells, decided to go pop them on.

They seemed a little tight, but I found that reassuring. Couple of taps with the rubber mallet to send it home so to speak, but the cap had other ideas, pinging straight back out and hitting me on the tooth! 😆

Then it rained, so went back inside and will leave it for another day 😛 Maybe a tiny bit of lube required, or possibly the wrong size, we'll find out on the next episode of....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

Free laugh on me, ordered some generic centre caps for the barge. Ordered based on specs found on this forum. They finally arrived and with the gods allowing a 30min interlude between rainy spells, decided to go pop them on.

They seemed a little tight, but I found that reassuring. Couple of taps with the rubber mallet to send it home so to speak, but the cap had other ideas, pinging straight back out and hitting me on the tooth! 😆

Then it rained, so went back inside and will leave it for another day 😛 Maybe a tiny bit of lube required, or possibly the wrong size, we'll find out on the next episode of....

Get your own back. Use your toothpaste to lubricate it in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GMB said:

Could have had a tracker fitted at some point?

Possibly. I have the car back, as of yesterday - I'll put an update in my other post tonight. The Lexus dealer had it for a whole week!

At long last I got around to the headlights. Just used lemon leftover from baking Muffins, god this guys talented (wife made 'em), and some bicarbonate soda. Cutting through the nonsense online there is no secret to doing this kind of treatment. It is always going to be some form of mildly abrasive treatment. period!

Anyway, both my headlights now look a better match for each other. The righthand one was a bit more opaque and the treatment improved that whilst not in my opinion being perfectly bright. I'll take the win of improvement.

20231116_155915.jpg

• Like 4

Measured the centre caps properly with vernier gauge and re-measured the inner and outer diameters of the wheels where the caps would sit. My previous incident was always destined to happen it seems. Centre caps I have are too big! 😞 Time to re-order!

The 'weakest' part of my SC 430 is some of the internal leather. Back seats as usual with these are fine. The front though are , passenger seat not too bad ,but drivers seat showing the more usual signs of compression after 18 years of driving a bum about. Moreover the front seats have a shine you wouldn't get from the factory. I had thought I would do the leatherwork myself after seeing a really good example of same on this site. However, upon reflection even after restoring the leather I am not going be happy with the result because it needs more than I can give it, or indeed any DIY can give it. Towards that end it is booked into Buffalo Leather at Little Hoole in January. They will remove all the recent silicone applied to the leather. They will remove front seats taking out leather to the pad refoaming and restitching the leather back in afterwards returning the leatherwork to in their words ' a factory finish'. I thought long and hard about this having seen some glorious examples of what you can do internally, but at the end of the day those mindboggling examples have changed the car too radically. The car after such work is simply too far from original for my taste. So, to keep it original and back to a factory finish is my choice for this car. each to theirown.

Fascinating things you get to know. For example this Lexus is full leather throughout whilst both Merc and BMW only do part leather paired with PVC. The restorer said they do about 3 or 4 Mercs a week where the PVC has basically failed and the seats lose their shape in essence. he was very complimentary about the Lexus quality. I mean he could have been 'shining me on ' a bit there ,but he seemed sincere.

Not sure this really qualifies as 'what did you do do to your Lexus today' , because really I just did a bit of research, thinking, and ultimately sign the check.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Not sure this really qualifies as 'what did you do do to your Lexus today' , because really I just did a bit of research, thinking, and ultimately sign the check

No need to apologise for this, Stephen.  You are restoring your Lexus to the standard it enjoyed when new.  It will once again be able to park proudly amongst its contemporaries.

That you are not personally doing this work is irrelevant.  In fact, it is to your credit that you recognise that others are better suited to achieving the results you require.

And who says it’s easy to sign a cheque?  😊

• Thanks 1

Stephen, at least you’re not needing a ramp nor axle stands  to get the interior sorted ……. but you might get “ crushed” writing that cheque to the upholsterer …..

Wots the ££££ damage likely to be ? 

Malc 

40 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Stephen, at least you’re not needing a ramp nor axle stands  to get the interior sorted ……. but you might get “ crushed” writing that cheque to the upholsterer …..

Wots the ££££ damage likely to be ? 

Malc 

I look at it this way ,I am not paying. All of those people who borrow money and pay over 5% interest on it are paying. I'm just a platform it flows through. 😉

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

I look at it this way ,I am not paying. All of those people who borrow money and pay over 5% interest on it are paying. I'm just a platform it flows through. 😉

😕 I am told I have that affect on people.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:15 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Whatever you do, don't buy fancy aluminium caps.  They will weld themselves to the brass.

Welded on valve caps would be a good theft deterrent.  

I wonder why metal valve caps don't have a locking grub screws. Sure it would be fiddly to remove them to top up the air but it would seriously slow down any thief trying to mess around with a tiny Allen key.

Today i researched more and more on adding an extra couple of wires to the steering wheel button connectors with inline resistors to allow for a 4 pin AUX port to be installed allowing phone music controls via the steering wheel without the heafty price tag of a new headunit or having to rely on Bluetooth etc... I shall order parts £2ish and give it a quick trial run and if it works report back with instructions for those wanting to avoid the Chinesium headunits or expensive GromLine products and don't wish to use Bluetooth modules to enable something that should come stock.

9 hours ago, Sundance said:

In just less than 3 months ... I have been suspicious ... but now I'm pretty certain 🤐 .

Cut me some slack here at least I didn't run out of a building trying to fight off 200 Federales with just 6 bullets ☺️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Cut me some slack here at least I didn't run out of a building trying to fight off 200 Federales with just 6 bullets ☺️

I'm impressed you can run ..........  thought you might be that sitting duck 😂

Malc

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Anybody might think you think I am Quackers !

Your names not Donald tho’ but equally as kwackers 🤔

trumpety trump trump trump 

Malc 

MOT today. Clean Pass no Advisories …… 247k miles on my N reg 1995 beauty 😂

5k miles only tho’ since last annual service and MOT 

The years seem to fly past 😇

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

MOT today. Clean Pass no Advisories

Mine failed. They said there was something seriously wrong with the big nut behind the steering wheel.

Pin on Cartoons

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GMB said:

Mine failed. They said there was something seriously wrong with the big nut behind the steering wheel.

Pin on Cartoons

You just need to ask Malc for advice on the bribes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links