Connoisseur

SC430 exhaust + added humour

Recommended Posts

Am temptingly close to returning to the SC fold. Saw one yesterday where the main advisory on the last MOT warned about entire exhaust system badly corroded. So the selling garage guy says 'ok lets find out worst case shall we' and rings a Lexus Dealer to get a price on a full system. I did warn him but he insisted. 'That'll be £3550 inc VAT sir' says the man from Lexus.  The face was an absolute picture he heh, so might be a good negotiation point.

Anyway might go ahead but does anyone know of a place that could make me up a normal soft metal system at a more reasonable price? Want to avoid stainless as I prefer the signature quiet Lexus noise. 

All advice much appreciated; watch this space.

tvm

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Connoisseur said:

Am temptingly close to returning to the SC fold. Saw one yesterday where the main advisory on the last MOT warned about entire exhaust system badly corroded. So the selling garage guy says 'ok lets find out worst case shall we' and rings a Lexus Dealer to get a price on a full system. I did warn him but he insisted. 'That'll be £3550 inc VAT sir' says the man from Lexus.  The face was an absolute picture he heh, so might be a good negotiation point.

Anyway might go ahead but does anyone know of a place that could make me up a normal soft metal system at a more reasonable price? Want to avoid stainless as I prefer the signature quiet Lexus noise. 

All advice much appreciated; watch this space.

tvm

M

It is not that stainless is more noisy than mild steel it is that in general bespoke stainless manufacturers use a series of fixed size straight through silencers instead of baffled units that are OEM fitting. You can specify that you want baffled silencers in stainless that will be just as quite, and last the life of the car.

John. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Britprius said:

It is not that stainless is more noisy than mild steel it is that in general bespoke stainless manufacturers use a series of fixed size straight through silencers instead of baffled units that are OEM fitting. You can specify that you want baffled silencers in stainless that will be just as quite, and last the life of the car.

John. 

thanks John, that is v helpful. Now have these pics. Seems to me the car needs a new back box and pipes out, together with the twin pipes forward. Thoughts welcome, but could be a solution and negotiating point.

IMG-20191204-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191204-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20191204-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191204-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20191204-WA0004.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current forum favourite is Tony Banks for exhausts but a bit of a trip for you Michael as he's in Leeds. Top quality work though. The stainless system he put on my GS is virtually silent.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Andy, that is really useful information 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Connoisseur said:

Thanks Andy, that is really useful information 👍

Who is Andy ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave always calls me Andy. Has done since we were kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Dave always calls me Andy. Has done since we were kids.

So, why do you call Michael, Dave ?????????????????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's Michael?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He certainly is. The SC430 is a lovely car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol, just caught up with this to finish the tale, but first thxs for the humour guys🤣 will let Andy know next time I bump into him!😉

Anyway, next day, after them putting the car through the mot and it failing big style on everything but the exhaust, the boss of the selling garage contacted me to pull the car from sale,  just as it disappeared from AT! I think I must have been asking all for them the wrong questions about the right things. 

So if anyone on here sees a 2005 non facelift in grey at a 'good' price, check steering wheel motors, tpms, tyres and exhaust - or just avoid. 

Thxs all for help, am not giving up just yet on the SC. An old skool V8, convertible that eats the miles and is soo comfortable? Who could say no..

Best

Michael 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Club Hybrid Poll

  • 482 Hybrid Reliability

    1. 1. If you were to consider buying a Hybrid model over 5 years old, would you be worried about the reliability of the Hybrid system?


      • Not really as Hybrid systems are always reliable
      • Not if it had a Manufacturers Warranty on the Hybrid system
      • I would not buy a Hybrid model over 5 years old