Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

been offored 2001 one owner with 74000 but with missing history dealer say full history car looks and drives great is it worth risking it

peter algar

* Depends on price.

* Tell the Dealer to state in writing that the vehicle has a full service history and name the place which serviced the vehicle.

* Check MOT History via internet and this place too   

* Ask the dealer to give you the name of the last owner

Good luck.

so long as everything is mechanically sound when you go to view/drive it  i.e no weird/ strange sounds from engine bay, no oil/ water leaks, and gearbox shifts through all gears then nothing to really worry about..just get him to knock the price down due to not having evidence of service and money saved from that could be used to have all fluids and filters changed.  see below

engine oil, gearbox oil, engine coolant, brake fluid, diff fluid, air filter,pollen filter, spark plugs

all above does not have to be done in one go. most important is engine oil and gearbox oil change and rest can be done at a later stage.. 

also get a free visual under body inspection done at any garage to check brakes, suspension, tyre and exhaust condition. if all is good then 

job done.

• Like 1

wonder if you might have any luck getting the service history whilst it was being serviced by Lexus ?  It was all computerised I'm sure

you can but ask or maybe there is some search engine for you somewhere that the guys on here might know about !

Malc

On 12/9/2019 at 1:55 PM, Malc said:

wonder if you might have any luck getting the service history whilst it was being serviced by Lexus ?  It was all computerised I'm sure

you can but ask or maybe there is some search engine for you somewhere that the guys on here might know about !

Malc

IIRC if you go to any Lexus dealer with proof of ownership (V5C) they will print you out any service history they hold for the car, the other option is to get the former keeper’s details which will be shown on the present V5C and contact them. Another plus point with the latter method is you can ask questions about the car, for example why did they sell it?

On 12/8/2019 at 8:56 PM, royoftherovers said:

* Ask the dealer to give you the name of the last owner

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

the other option is to get the former keeper’s details which will be shown on the present V5C

Are we not forgetting GDPR here?

I would think there's zero chance of getting the former keeper's details.

3 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Are we not forgetting GDPR here?

I would think there's zero chance of getting the former keeper's details.

You are right Herbs, but I said "ask the Dealer"

If one does not ask one does not get !!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

Not all Dealers know the law!!

For me dealer service history or main dealer service  history at the lower price mark is not a make or break decider. I base this on buying more cars amd motocycles than Mr average. My last one outwardly a mint BMW 325 i coupe with a full MDSH, needed a dual mass flywheel/clutch (DMF) in a short space of time in my ownership. Infact during the first week of ownership I felt a minor clutch judder in certain conditions. Thankfully I extended the aftersales warranty via the sellers scheme with a three year warranty for a fraction of the going price as the dealers get a 70% discount. However what a tussle I had to get the selling dealer to accept my consumer rights and then as a result of incessesant pressure the warranty company and the garage had to stump up. Also during the same time frame a starter motor was replaced ( awful failure to engage disengage, not sure very intermittently) and an ABS sensor. If the main dealer were any good they should have picked up the DMF issue at least.

I always have a major service carried out on my cars on arrival, my trusted mechanic stated he knows the wheels on my BM have hardly ever been off the car, the calipers have never been fettled, the air con needed regassing and  lubricating. Most main  dealer servicing nowerdays is not worth the paper it is written on. Naive folks with BM's that I know for a fact pay a salty wedge when the inspection light comes on, this is basically a once over, no oil or filter change just a once over. Also when it is oil change time the sump plug remains and a bilge pump is used to suck out the old oil, too much of the old oil is left in as the nozzle cannot get all the way to the bottom. 

I suppose the moral of the tale is buyer be aware, do not pay over the odds and factor in a major service just after purchase, with a trusted independant.

My brand new car is not going to be MDS as they do precious little and charge huge amounts. I keep proof a VAT reg garage  does the service as per the book and use original parts.

BTW the Lexus SC looks a cracker !

4 hours ago, Wisemonkey said:

I suppose the moral of the tale is buyer be aware, do not pay over the odds and factor in a major service just after purchase, with a trusted independant.

My brand new car is not going to be MDS as they do precious little and charge huge amounts. I keep proof a VAT reg garage  does the service as per the book and use original parts.

BTW the Lexus SC looks a cracker !

And this is what i always tend to do each and every time i buy a car.. i ignore what ever is in the service book and redo all fluids, filters and plugs again just so i know it has really been done.

• Like 1