Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Back Door (Tailgate) not working on 2010 (Series 3) RX450h

Hi, Thanks for that info - I tried that a few times, but no joy I'm afraid.  I'm not sure I can just leave it and hope it will magically start working again, as its seriously annoying my wife.   I'll have a look back through this, and related threads and find the part that needs buying and maybe have to bite the bullet on that. 

Philh3333, 

The part number you need it 68910-48023 its the latest part number for the rear PBD motor, if you do need one theirs a company in the UK that can supply them or buy from abroad much cheaper than Lexus dealer.  If you are capable of swapping it out yourself quite an easy job

On 2/10/2023 at 2:36 PM, Philh3333 said:

Herbie, if you still have the information that pertains to this issue  - I'd be grateful to have a look.  I might get my car back this weekend and warm it up for a good while and see if that does anything.  

PM just sent to you Phil.

Hello Guys,

I'm Thibault from France and I was really happy to find this very useful topic! I have the same issue on my rx450h 2019, try all the things (reset procedure, check the fuse, etc..) but it's exactly the same issue than all of you... Battery went down during this winter and the issue appear.

I'm interested also by your informations @Herbie ;-)

I'm really surprised that, with the numbers of issues, Lexus don't have a recall campaign for this...

Anyway, this is my first issue after 300 000kms of pleasure with this old girl, I will pray and charged my Battery to solved this^^

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here’s an update on this long running topic. Sorry for the length of the posting.

I went to Africa for eight weeks, arriving back home on 3 March. My 2015 RX450h Premier stood unused on the driveway for those eight weeks. When I got back the car started immediately but the power back door was completely dead. Nothing whatsoever would cause it to open.

I read this forum thread from start to finish and noticed two things. First of all, many people had experienced this problem after not using their car for a few weeks. Secondly, there is a fair number of people who say the problem fixed itself after one or two months and a good long drive.

So, I sat back and thought I would see how it goes. For the last 30 days I’ve pressed the relevant button on the dashboard every time I’ve got into the car - with no success.

Yesterday, I had to call at my Lexus dealer for an unrelated issue. It’s a 1 hour and 15 minutes drive on the motorway at high speed. When I got to the dealer, who shall remain nameless here, I mentioned the dead power back door. I told him that there were dozens of people on the Lexus Owners’ forum with the same issue and that a common thread was that people hadn’t used the car for a few weeks before the power back door issue had appeared. My Lexus dealer said “You shouldn’t believe all this stuff you read on the internet. I’ve never heard of a power back door issue at all”: so, I booked the car in for a few weeks later for them to look at it (at a cost to investigate of £102).

However, my vigorous drive at 70+ mph for over two and a half hours return journey seems to have sorted the issue. This morning, I got into the car and pressed the power back door in the usual hope, as I’ve done for the last 30 consecutive days, and voila! it beeped and the rear door opened fully. I closed it, tried it with the remote fob and by using the button on the door and it all seems back to normal.

I’m not a car expert but there has to be some sort of Battery issue involved here. Mine, and other people’s problems, seem to have been cleared after a few weeks or months and a good long run.

What is curious is that Lexus not only claims to have no knowledge of the issue but dismissed it out of hand when I raised it.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading some reports that the pbd started working after a few long journeys decided to wait a while. No such luck, so decided to take it to the local dealers, who confirmed  that replacement was needed £800 + labour. Ordered said unit, but waiting 2 weeks to be delivered! Decided to upgrade car for a later model 2017 premier. Now waiting for towbar electric wiring loom!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, my Lexus RX 450H from 2012 has the same problem. Sometimes the PBD works fine, sometime the back door open and and i here only two piep.

The Battery was change for two years by my lexus dealer and my CTEK charger is every 3 weeks in use, because i installed a WEBASTO parking Heater.

An Idea? maybe Herbie can send me the file?

Regard from Germany, Frank

On 1/23/2023 at 10:04 PM, RX450HPrem said:

John let us know if they fit and fix your issue 

Thanks 

Paul

Hi Paul.

The struts fitted perfectly and I have had no issues at all since fitting them. I know my problem was different to most others, but it seems strange that my problems started when the Battery died. 

Hello again, 

my problem is still the same! The Battery is good and new and yet the tailgate does not always open and there is a beep when it does not open. If I disconnect the Battery for 10 minutes, it works again a couple of times and then it doesn't work again. I removed and cleaned all the locks, checked the sensors on the left and right. It drives me crazy that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The struts are also both new original from Lexus!

On 6/17/2023 at 10:39 AM, FrankyOne67 said:

Hello again, 

my problem is still the same! The battery is good and new and yet the tailgate does not always open and there is a beep when it does not open. If I disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, it works again a couple of times and then it doesn't work again. I removed and cleaned all the locks, checked the sensors on the left and right. It drives me crazy that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The struts are also both new original from Lexus!

On 6/17/2023 at 10:39 AM, FrankyOne67 said:

New day, new try (Saturday)! I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and then reinitialized the PBD. I set all the gap dimensions and then it worked all Saturday and Sunday. This morning (Monday) it won't go out again. I push the remote control and open all the doors and then push the button on the PBD and again nothing happens just a long beep.

• 4 weeks later...

My power back door stopped working during the winter, as the weather warmed up and became less humid in May the power ack door started working again. It is still working, but anticipate it will stop again when the cold damp weather comes back. Probably a corrosion issue somewhere in the unit.

• 1 month later...

Good Afternoon,

I have a 2012 advance gen3 and i am trying to pre empt things failing ont he car. the powerboot is something i have read is a common failure with the motor / pcb failing.

I have been tempted to replace the gas struts in the boot with OEM parts, in my head this will take the pressure off the power mech and prolong its life.

Any thoughts, it would be 200 euro to buy them and replace myself.

thanks a million

I had a similar problem on my 15 year old Rx400h---purchased a can of the strangely named Gummi-pflege from amazonhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-7182-Rubber-Care-75-ml/dp/B00CSYM1K8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=gummi-pflege&qid=1693569258&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

The rubber seals around the rear hatch seemed a bit "sticky"--not surprising after such a long time.

Treated the seals and hey presto, the rear hatch was working smoothly again. I think that perhaps the "stickiness" of the seals was preventing the motor from lifting the hatch.

3 hours ago, Lydiamight said:

I had a similar problem on my 15 year old Rx400h---purchased a can of the strangely named Gummi-pflege from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-7182-Rubber-Care-75-ml/dp/B00CSYM1K8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=gummi-pflege&qid=1693569258&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

The rubber seals around the rear hatch seemed a bit "sticky"--not surprising after such a long time.

Treated the seals and hey presto, the rear hatch was working smoothly again. I think that perhaps the "stickiness" of the seals was preventing the motor from lifting the hatch.

I've always used Nextzett gummi pflege stift on all my rubber seals at least twice a year. Prevents them freezing shut in the colder months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/nextzett-91480615-Rubber-Stick-White/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=gummi-pflege&qid=1693580246&sr=8-5

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am having the same issue on my 2011 Lexus Rx450, the boot will not open manually and neither with the button on the fobs or in the car, no beep sound or anything. All the other door locks open and close fine. Was working fine and all of a sudden decided not to open. Is there any suggestions or help? Herbie is there a file or something that we can try and diagnose?

thanks in advance

Hi @Herbie, please can you supply the same info you have shared with others to solve this issue. It will be very much appreciated. My symtpoms are identical to those in the OP. Any help or guidance received will be very much appreciated. Regards Rob

23 hours ago, RobGentry said:

Hi @Herbie, please can you supply the same info you have shared with others to solve this issue. It will be very much appreciated. My symtpoms are identical to those in the OP. Any help or guidance received will be very much appreciated. Regards Rob

Just sent a PM to you Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and thank you all for chipping in to help solve this common issue. @Herbie I would greatly appreciate it if you can please provide me any details regarding this problem I've had for a such a long time.  Background: all fuses all good, tried pushing the button in the glovebox, no beep with pressing the release button (both of them) there is also no sidelights in the trunk and additionally noticed tailgate lock not working also.  

Hi everyone,

Winter has come and with it, the tailgate issue. I had this last winter but it began working again in late spring absolutely fine.

It stopped working a few weeks ago as winter set in, same as most here with no beep, not able to open manually from the outside and boot interior lights not working.

I got the manual from Herbie last year (thanks again) but still can’t find a cause or fix.

Has anyone had any luck recently or are we all just only using our boots in the summer?

P.S Been a Lexus fan my whole life with our first family Lexus being a 1990 LS400 and mine a RX330, what was everyone’s first Lexus?

Cheers,

Simon

• 1 month later...

As my RX had this problem and I managed to fix it, thanks to this thread, I thought it useful to add my experience to the mix.  A few months back, as the cold weather set in I had the typical total shutdown of rear door latch switch, tailgate lift motor & interior lights. No Battery recharging or resetting would fix it, I waited for warmer weather for it to start working again but no luck. Got lucky and sourced a well priced new OEM motor off FB marketplace, saw the pretty basic YT vid of the american guy fitting it, which gave me confidence it was doable. Having done the job successfully (I will admit I punched the air when the motor kicked in) my tips are these:  

You need to be confident at popping the interior panels out, perhaps buy a plastic crowbar kit as there are places where metal/glass damage is possible if using screwdrivers etc. You will need a decent 3/8 or half inch socket set (bolts are 10mm but need plenty of leverage) preferably with knuckle and short extensions. When fitting the new motor you should probably use lots of thread lock, some tinkering will be needed to get the bracket holes to line up. Fit all the bolts quite loose at first and then tighten once they're all in position. Whole job took around 90 minutes.

If you can do stuff like fit kitchen cabinets or do decent level DiY you can definitely do this job and save yourself a bomb at a Lexus dealer.

Same problem started to occur this autumn with my 2013 RX450h.
At first when I pressed the button it openeb, but didn't close - only two beeps.
Then after a few weeks it didn't open anymore from the remote button - only from the car - two beeps again when the remote button was pressed. And finally I heard only two beeps whenever I pressed a button.
Now it's starting to get warmer already and voila, one day I tried to press the button again and it worked - it opens and closes every time.

So my conclusion is that cold temperatures are the cause in my case. But now is the question - where is that weak point that gets affected by cold weather?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links