Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

4th Yr service RX200T

Hi. I'm new here and loving my car.

Its a 28k miles 2016 RX200T.

Lexus.co.uk quote £660 for my 4th Yr service. I think that's shocking. Before I discuss this with my local Cardiff discount, do you have any thoughts or advice, please?

32 minutes ago, HBZ3 said:

Lexus.co.uk quote £660 for my 4th Yr service.

Yeah, looking on the website, that's correct.

Why not take out a service plan so that you can spread the cost? A service plan has many advantages:

• You lock in at today's prices - my two-year plan for my RX450h cost approximately £1,100 and covers three services.
  • You can pay monthly so that it's not such a shock to the wallet.
  • If you change your car mid-term for another Lexus, you can transfer the unused portion of the plan to your new car (I think - can someone confirm that?).
  • If you sell your car and just want a refund for the unused portion of the plan then that's fine, there's just a £20 admin charge for doing it.
  • Pay for a Gold Membership to this Owner's Club (£39.99/year) and you may get a significant discount on the plan but check first as not all dealers honour the Gold Member discount scheme.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why is it shocking?
What does it cover?

Prestige car and expensive maintenance costs go hand in hand.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks Chris. I have been keeping a watch on what Members say about their respective Lexus Dealers and believe I can now identify the Controlling Group for each Dealership.

Motorline also appear to control Heathrow, Gatwick,Tunbridge Wells, Maidstone and Canterbury. They have been known to look for ways to increase monthly revenues. One Member  from Lancashire recently bought an RX from Cardiff and reported that in general he was satisfied with the service provided.

By comparison, my 60,000 mile service(bigger then yours) carried out by Lexus Chester was £462, carried out on 30/08/2016.

I am sure that RX owners will be along to assist you shortly.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your prompt response.

I'll check if it includes a timing belt or similar. Coming from a Jag, this is quite a shock for some plugs and filters. 

My quick Google for service costs before buying it suggested approx £280-300.

I'm not feeling quite so smug now!

1 minute ago, HBZ3 said:

Thank you for your prompt response.

I'll check if it includes a timing belt or similar. Coming from a Jag, this is quite a shock for some plugs and filters. 

My quick Google for service costs before buying it suggested approx £280-300.

I'm not feeling quite so smug now!

Herbie has just given you an excellent response.

I don`t think that new plugs are required at 40,000.

You should find it somewhat more reliable than a Jag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just checked in the 'Gold Member's Area' and yes, Cardiff, Canterbury and Tunbridge Wells dealerships are listed as participants in the scheme, so may well be worth your while.

• Thanks 1

Your service booklet should give you an indication of what is being performed at each service. There is something specific to the 200t vehicles that makes the 40k mile service expensive - maybe plugs.

Lexus are transparent on their website for servicing costs - unfortunately all dealers are asked to stick to the published pricing so you won't normally get different pricing by ringing around - and Lexus servicing is expensive, more so than most other manufactures and they don't offer good value for money servicing plans which purchasing a new vehicle like Audi, Jag, BMW etc. etc. 😞

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Herbie said:

@HBZ3 Chris, just out of interest, why did you go for the 200t instead of the 450h?

Morning @Herbie

I'd like to say it was the 'proper' gearbox and the 'proper' 4x4 mechanism.

Actually, it was costs. When I discovered I could get the newer shape, low mile 200T with the fancy looks, LED headlamps and larger dash screen for the price of a higher mile 2014 450h, that's what made my mind up

@ColinBarber

Thank you. I'll try harder with my homework. I don't mind paying if I'm getting value, but I do like to get something other than a rubber stamp in order to maintain my 3yr warranty.

The genuine Lexus parts for a full service kit including oil, filters,  plugs, etc from Lexus cost approx £160. £500 labour doesn't strike me as good value. Unless they need to lift the engine to access the plugs, of course!

I love the car but I've already paid for that once 🙂

I'll check again. Perhaps they need to replace a timing item or adjust tappets

Cheers for showing an interest!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HBZ3 said:

I don't mind paying if I'm getting value, but I do like to get something other than a rubber stamp in order to maintain my 3yr warranty.

If it's a 2016 car then it's out of that warranty period anyway so just take it to any trusted garage or even do the service yourself.

It may be a Lexus but it's still just a car that uses oil, brakes, plugs etc., etc., just like any other car, and there are many hundreds, even thousands of excellent mechanics who could do the job.

I believe that Lexus labour charges are about £138 + VAT per hour if I remember correctly for ad hoc work but servicing is fixed price.

Hi @Herbie

I'm booked in with Cardiff tomorrow. I have a 3 year extended warranty which I'm trying to upkeep. It says it must be serviced at a "Service Centre" (capitalised) suggesting it needs to be a Lexus dealer..

They quoted £520 on the phone. The 40k miles service according to the service booklet is the biggest one for the 200T due to the 4x4 transfer oil and plugs, etc needing doing. The garage says it'll be heavily discounted if I have a service package. For which I've just received his quote which would cost me £560 tomorrow(!) and then another £800 or so to cover the next two services. In my mind, that's too much and not possibly higher than just paying for the service each year.

He said he didnt know anything about the Lexus Owners Gold discount, so I've responded asking him to check it for me.

Interesting - I'll let you know how I get on! And, thank you!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the dealers who are listed as participating in the discount scheme are locked away in the 'Gold Member's Area' so that you can't see them until you become a Gold Member, so I can't show you or prove it to you, but I promise that Cardiff is in there.

It would appear that you're somewhat stymied because a condition of getting the extended warranty is that you must have servicing carried out at Lexus main dealers.

It was a hell of a shock to me because I have a very good friend who is a great mechanic and he usually serviced my cars at 'mates rates' of £30 plus parts! However, I wanted the warranty so I've had to pay for the servicing.

Buying a service plan rather than paying for individual services doesn't give you any discount (but Gold Membership should). I think they just add the cost of three individual services together and charge that for the plan. As I said above, the great thing about a plan is that you get to lock in at today's prices and so avoid any price increases, and you get to spread the costs.

EDIT: I've always thought it a silly idea that you don't know if the GM discount will be any use to you until you've actually bought and paid for it. However, as we already know that Cardiff is in the scheme, I don't think I'll be giving away too much 'secret' info if I told you that it'll be worth your while as Cardiff give 10% off.

• Like 1

I have bought the gold membership now but in and out of meetings so I haven't had a chance to read all about it!

I hope to very soon before the day's out!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HBZ3 said:

I have bought the gold membership now but in and out of meetings so I haven't had a chance to read all about it!

I hope to very soon before the day's out!

In that case, maybe a mod or admin bod could give you some proof that you are now a member because it's obviously impossible to get your card by tomorrow.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links