Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fair price for a high mileage 2016 reg IS300h

Wheel size do make a difference though for new cars for appearance, ride and economy will always suffer sadly.

We speced 17inch wheels for our Premier for better ride and economy :).

That’s interesting, I’ve got 16’s on my SE but have been looking to change to 17’s as there’s a better choice of nicer looking wheels.
Do you have the same tyres front and back or are they different per axle?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Paul.

I think so too.

I find that with age comes experience, with experience comes wisdom and with wisdom comes forgetfulness !

Have a good day !

Ha, agreed. You too!

55 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

That’s interesting, I’ve got 16’s on my SE but have been looking to change to 17’s as there’s a better choice of nicer looking wheels.
Do you have the same tyres front and back or are they different per axle?

These are the 17s, cannot remember the name for them, R45 tyres means they are really hard to kerb! Not a staged setup, front and rear also wore at the same rate which surprised me given the IS is RWD. They are a good balance between not looking lost and not been too harsh/loud. 

16153910113_c809e55f3b_h.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I don’t need to find it, I know this to be the case. If you don’t believe me, fine, up to you. I don’t really care. 😀

No I am just interested as this was raised many times, but I have not seen any evidence to that. I drove several IS300h whilst at servicing at Lexus and different IS300h's felt differently, but as well they had different size wheels and different tyres. I guess my only option is to go and fine some documents definitely proving this "theory" right or wrong... 

Regarding the wheels sizes - yes 17-19inch looks better than 14-15inch wheels, as well they give you better handling and they are required to deliver the performance. Older cars had 100hp/Nm and current cars have 200+, meaning you need wider tyres to handle it. How wide can you go on 14-15 inch? So here is the answer - the larger wheels are not just for looks, it is as well required to be able to keep you safe on the road with increased power of modern cars. On top of that many modern tyres now can offer sufficient comfort and rim protection even when being much thinner. So I see larger wheels as result of technological improvement rather than blind fashion. Does 200hp 300h needs 18inch wheels - no probably not, 16's have enough choice to fit necessary size tyres, but does performance car with 400hp needs 20inch wheels? Yes it does.

Other thing we fail to note here - not all the countries around the world have abandoned their roads like UK. Roads are silky smooth in France, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium and many other countries - better road surface means cars with larger wheels can still drive on them with comfort. Sadly as far as I can remember UK roads are becoming worse and worse every year, to the extent that some people simply bet SUVs as the road surface is so bad, it will soon require lifter off-roaders to pass.

Good luck with your search and when you find your evidence I’ll look forward to your acknowledgement 😀

Hint. Check the IS specs now on the Lexus website. I’m sure this will state somewhere that the F-Sport has sports suspension.

Has always been the case too. The IS brochure I had in 2014 confirmed this. As did the brochure I had prior to purchasing a new one in 2019.

The world according to Linas? Everyone is wrong unless Linas agrees that they are right. And Linas is always right. Which leads to an interesting situation when Linas is wrong but believes he is still right. Watch the Brittas Empire mate! 😂

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Good luck with your search and when you find your evidence I’ll look forward to your acknowledgement 😀

Hint. Check the IS specs now on the Lexus website. I’m sure this will state somewhere that the F-Sport has sports suspension.

Has always been the case too. The IS brochure I had in 2014 confirmed this (it would have been nice if you could share it, that is all I asked). As did the brochure I had prior to purchasing a new one in 2019. (if it did then it was wrong)

The world according to Linas? Everyone is wrong unless Linas agrees that they are right. And Linas is always right. Which leads to an interesting situation when Linas is wrong but believes he is still right. Watch the Brittas Empire mate! 😂

If you simply don't know the answer to the question, that does not make you right and me wrong either! Thanks for being defensive for no reason if not somewhat awkward...

Now to actually answer the question with facts - you are partially right, but there are places where you are wrong. 

To summarise there were several generations of both "standard" and "sport" suspension, the defining difference is the shock absorbed (assembly) used. Feel free to check other parts, but I find them matching between models, so it is safe to say they are same.

• Standard suspension used the standard oil shock-absorber (to my my surprise they started with identical absorbers as on IS mk2).
  • "Sport" suspension used magnetic shock absorber which is as well required for AVS to work

Now when it comes to Premier vs. F-Sport - Premier used Standard shock absorbers between 04/2013 and 10/2016, after that it used same shock absorber as F-Sport as indicated by part numbers being identical. I believe AVS became standard on Premier/F-Sport after 10/2016 and you can't do AVS on oil-shock absorber.

I even added nice exploded diagram and table below showing all generations highlighting matching part numbers, so that (god forbid) you don't need to think too hard at any time!

image.thumb.png.0040e7332e0ddd626c0c28cc224ec223.png

Similar case for rear suspension, just less generations (3 standard and 2 Sport, instead of 5 standard and 4 sport).

Interesting feedback from the dealership:

"In line with the current government COVID-19 guidelines we are unable to offer any test drives. All vehicles are available on a 'Click & Collect' basis and are available to purchase as a distance sale."

Conventional wisdom has it to test drive before making an offer, but current circumstances dictate no test drive, yet sales are being encouraged.

• Thanks 1

Mahiuddin, I think that you possibly misunderstand the message. I think they wish to deter meandering people who just like test driving all vehicles.Give your local Dealership a call (if you are serious about buying from them) and explain that if you like you will buy.Then see their reaction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Linas.P said:

If you simply don't know the answer to the question, that does not make you right and me wrong either! Thanks for being defensive for no reason if not somewhat awkward...

Now to actually answer the question with facts - you are partially right, but there are places where you are wrong. 

To summarise there were several generations of both "standard" and "sport" suspension, the defining difference is the shock absorbed (assembly) used. Feel free to check other parts, but I find them matching between models, so it is safe to say they are same.

• Standard suspension used the standard oil shock-absorber (to my my surprise they started with identical absorbers as on IS mk2).
  • "Sport" suspension used magnetic shock absorber which is as well required for AVS to work

Now when it comes to Premier vs. F-Sport - Premier used Standard shock absorbers between 04/2013 and 10/2016, after that it used same shock absorber as F-Sport as indicated by part numbers being identical. I believe AVS became standard on Premier/F-Sport after 10/2016 and you can't do AVS on oil-shock absorber.

I even added nice exploded diagram and table below showing all generations highlighting matching part numbers, so that (god forbid) you don't need to think too hard at any time!

image.thumb.png.0040e7332e0ddd626c0c28cc224ec223.png

Similar case for rear suspension, just less generations (3 standard and 2 Sport, instead of 5 standard and 4 sport).

Hi Linas. You can google Lexus IS brochure 2014 and download the brochure. It states the F-Sport had F-Sport tuned suspension. My answer was related to the OP's original post re a 2016 IS and therefore a pre-facelift car and my recommendation of a lower mileage 2014 car based on my eperiences. The MY2017 cars all had improvements made to suspension, this was one area addressed in the mid-life upgrade. I think we're agreed then that the F-Sport has sports suspension because you've found information that supports this and I've managed to find the brochures. Excellent, we're all good then 😊

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Mahiuddin, I think that you possibly misunderstand the message. I think they wish to deter meandering people who just like test driving all vehicles.Give your local Dealership a call (if you are serious about buying from them) and explain that if you like you will buy.Then see their reaction. 

Agreed, worth a phone call. I've had en email from Lexus confirming they're still operating but it's not clear to me whether they could provide test drives during this period. This is what the email said.

Dear Paul,
Over the weekend, the UK government announced new lockdown measures in England, beginning today. At Lexus, we are committed to keeping you moving, and are taking extensive precautions to maintain the safety of our customers and our team members at all times.
In recent months we have worked hard to ensure that all of our centres are COVID-secure. Lexus Centres in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland* will remain open for servicing, MOT, repairs, and new and used car handovers. Centres in Wales are temporarily closed.
CAR SALES AND ENQUIRES
Whilst our sales showrooms and used car display areas in England will be closed until further notice, all Centres will remain contactable during this time, and are offering click and collect options. If you'd like to find out more about purchasing a Lexus, our team are always on hand via online consultation, phone, email or live chat.
COLLECTING YOUR NEW LEXUS
If you are due to pick up your new car over the lockdown period, your handover will take place in a designated outdoor area, where social distancing practices will be in place. Alternatively, arrangements can be made to deliver your car to your home address.
SERVICE AND REPAIRS
Our workshops will remain open, if you need to book a service or MOT, or if you’d like to schedule an online consultation, you can make an appointment on our website.
SAFETY MEASURES
We continue to implement thorough safety guidelines across all Lexus Centres. These include clear signage to aid with social distancing, an appointment-only system, protective screens at all service desks and cashless payments.
We would like to sincerely thank you for your patience, and for working alongside us to ensure that our centres remain a safe place to visit and work. For more information about our response to COVID-19, visit the Lexus website.

9 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Agreed, worth a phone call. I've had en email from Lexus confirming they're still operating but it's not clear to me whether they could provide test drives during this period. This is what the email said.

Dear Paul,
Over the weekend, the UK government announced new lockdown measures in England, beginning today. At Lexus, we are committed to keeping you moving, and are taking extensive precautions to maintain the safety of our customers and our team members at all times.
In recent months we have worked hard to ensure that all of our centres are COVID-secure. Lexus Centres in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland* will remain open for servicing, MOT, repairs, and new and used car handovers. Centres in Wales are temporarily closed.
CAR SALES AND ENQUIRES
Whilst our sales showrooms and used car display areas in England will be closed until further notice, all Centres will remain contactable during this time, and are offering click and collect options. If you'd like to find out more about purchasing a Lexus, our team are always on hand via online consultation, phone, email or live chat.
COLLECTING YOUR NEW LEXUS
If you are due to pick up your new car over the lockdown period, your handover will take place in a designated outdoor area, where social distancing practices will be in place. Alternatively, arrangements can be made to deliver your car to your home address.
SERVICE AND REPAIRS
Our workshops will remain open, if you need to book a service or MOT, or if you’d like to schedule an online consultation, you can make an appointment on our website.
SAFETY MEASURES
We continue to implement thorough safety guidelines across all Lexus Centres. These include clear signage to aid with social distancing, an appointment-only system, protective screens at all service desks and cashless payments.
We would like to sincerely thank you for your patience, and for working alongside us to ensure that our centres remain a safe place to visit and work. For more information about our response to COVID-19, visit the Lexus website.

If one does not ask the question one does not know the question.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Wheel size do make a difference though for new cars for appearance, ride and economy will always suffer sadly.

We speced 17inch wheels for our Premier for better ride and economy :).

Interesting that you can spec 17" wheels on a Premier. Thanks 😊

On 11/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, Linas.P said:

Regarding the wheels sizes - yes 17-19inch looks better than 14-15inch wheels, as well they give you better handling and they are required to deliver the performance. Older cars had 100hp/Nm and current cars have 200+, meaning you need wider tyres to handle it. How wide can you go on 14-15 inch? So here is the answer - the larger wheels are not just for looks, it is as well required to be able to keep you safe on the road with increased power of modern cars.

I think a lot of modern cars go for bigger wheels for looks purposes mainly.

The Lamborghini Countach was launched in the 70's with 370 bhp and came with 15" wheels

Countach.thumb.jpg.904ca014745a7d050f27a8baa44361a8.jpg

... whereas the current model Renault Scenic (7 seater family MPV) which comes with power outputs varying from 114 to 157 bhp needs 20" wheels for some reason:

scenic.thumb.jpg.8debb328d44b82b51564f11d6501d85d.jpg

1 hour ago, route66 said:

I think a lot of modern cars go for bigger wheels for looks purposes mainly.

The Lamborghini Countach was launched in the 70's with 370 bhp and came with 15" wheels

Countach.thumb.jpg.904ca014745a7d050f27a8baa44361a8.jpg

... whereas the current model Renault Scenic (7 seater family MPV) which comes with power outputs varying from 114 to 157 bhp needs 20" wheels for some reason:

scenic.thumb.jpg.8debb328d44b82b51564f11d6501d85d.jpg

Yes and it handled like pig at any speed and had much harsher suspension than Renault Scenic, not to mention other things like tyre rolling resistance being terrible by today standards.

I agree having 20" wheels on Renault Scenic is more for looks than anything else, but provided the roads are reasonably good is not an issue and still if is far far more comfortable than Lamborghini from 70's.

What I am saying is that there is limit of how small the wheels could be to still support the car power and keep it fuel efficient. Some moderns car do have unnecessary large wheels, but anywhere between 16-19 inch is reasonable.  

I don't think 20" wheels would have helped the Lamborghini's handling. And I'm not sure what you mean about tyre rolling resistance - most people accept that larger sizes increase it.

Oh, and all F1 cars currently use 13" wheels ...

26 minutes ago, route66 said:

I don't think 20" wheels would have helped the Lamborghini's handling. And I'm not sure what you mean about tyre rolling resistance - most people accept that larger sizes increase it.

Oh, and all F1 cars currently use 13" wheels ...

This is complete of topic by the way....

Yes Lamborghini would not benefit from larger wheels, just old technology. Equally, modern cars cannot run on 15 inch wheels, you cannot fit large enough brakes in such wheels etc.

There are many reasons why F1 uses 13" wheels, on of which to specifically limit the teams, not to help them. But there are other considerations, damping suspension in the tyre wall is lighter than necessary dampening in suspension, F1 cars are very light so they can fit brakes even in small wheels etc. etc. But even then as you can imagine driving F1 car on the road would brake your back - so having thick tyres and small wheels does not help the comfort at all.  F1 technology overall cannot be compared to passenger cars and isn't even relevant.

I agree that larger wheels focuses more on handling and steering feels rather than comfort, but average modern car on 18" is still much more comfortable than average 30 years old car on 14". Technological advancement allows better handling and better comfort at the same time.

I think you are actually disagreeing with yourself at this stage Linas. In any case, that's me done on this thread; no more comments from this side (despite the fact that I expect more from you ...)

Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links