Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

on my 2009 model there is an aux socket deep in the armrest console adjacent  to the "cigar lighter" socket. Don't know whether there is the same on the earlier model. I just needed a 3.5mm male to male lead. You wont be able to use the system controls though only the Phone/MP3 player controls but could be a temp solution.

2 hours ago, Sherra said:

on my 2009 model there is an aux socket deep in the armrest console adjacent  to the "cigar lighter" socket.

I think that was available on post-facelift cars (2008 onwards?). James appears to have a pre-facelift car.

The 2nd facelift (2010 onwards) then added music streaming over Bluetooth as well as DAB radio (and deleted the cassette player).

33 minutes ago, LexIS200Sport said:

I think that was available on post-facelift cars (2008 onwards?). James appears to have a pre-facelift car.

The 2nd facelift (2010 onwards) then added music streaming over Bluetooth as well as DAB radio (and deleted the cassette player).

Mine is July 2010 and has 2 such sockets.One for I pod and one for USB

Still too lazy to learn how to cut & paste prior posts...

Roy of the Rovers: Last week, my ‘07 GS450h, 95K, [ bought privately Oct20 at £4.5k (Neimann Marcus Edition L8T lilac-blue-silver / grey hot&cold interior leather / black wood) ] had its Hybrid check/warranty; replaced 8-yrs-old cracked cheapies with Dunlop Sports Maxx 69db; full service with the aircon glovebox filter (got rid of a strange smell) and headlamps / fog lights polished. Total spend: £789 to-date. And 1200 smooth, muscle-car accelerative, miles.

Love the Adaptive Cruise Control, had it before on an ‘08 GS450h I made the mistake of selling when I got an ‘07 102k LS600h L RSR (sold after 7 months, it felt like a chauffeur’s limo about to cost me a fortune).

Music next GS project: I prefer the wide bandwidths of Radio3 & Classic FM, with sometime Radio4 & Smooth FM. Next, use a tape-cassette cleaner. The CD player’s excellent, as are the Mark Levinson amp/speakers. I’ll look at Grom as I have a big 60’s/70’s collection on an iPod. And DAB mildly-useful for LBC when I drive to the smoke.

One slight fault, in what is an otherwise superb machine: if the shade over the closed sunroof is left open for more light, there’s an intermittent slight creak on all roads. The body/paint craftsman of 60 years’ experience will know how to make that vamoose.

Lexus last week thought there was a slight leak from the aircon condenser; and possibly a tiny oil leak from a seal. My independent engineer didn’t think either needed attention and there’s a marine metal-works that can braze aluminium if necessary. I enjoy working with craftsmen that repair rather than replace - and have the experience to know when to leave well alone. But I’m conscious that shock absorbers and exhaust are eventually wear items. I share my 10k miles a year with my ‘03 SC430 - most of those miles are Roy’s “going to the Orkneys’ sweet-shop”.

Am researching Toyota’s luxurious Mirai - hydrogen fuel cells are next. Won’t touch Tesla’s expensive unreliable junk. If I want an apple, I buy the cheap, powerful, iPhone SE with O2. But Tesla’s competitors, Kia E-Niro the best with 7yrs’ / 100k warranty, are coming up on the inside.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:02 PM, LexIS200Sport said:

Yes, I have the prefacelift car with no aux.

I have been using a cassette to aux for music and I have to say that I find the music quality very good. Only downside is the presence of a little creaking noise from the movement of the cassette player which is inaudible once the volume is around 18. Also, I bought a cheap one of the cassette to aux adapter which was temperamental but a qood quality Philips branded one works flawlessly - at least for now.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:32 PM, Barry14UK said:

As regards shock absobers, this is not the car that you take off road but could be affected by driving over severe pot holes and fast over speed bumps so difficult to say how they compare now if you have not driven in earlier life. Some people drive them until theyleak or become more bouncy.  I think you really need smebody who knows the model as the press down on the corners method is not very accurate.  I have seen shocks that have been removed and tested on a machine but that may prove unnecessary.  There can be quite considerable differences.  It's a bit like torquing up nuts.  The person with little experience if subsequenly  checked with a rorque wrench will show a greater varience than a man who is tightening nuts all day.  So best go to the person who knows how the shocks should perform

I agree. I'm definitely not taking this off road and it rides fine to me. Although, in the absence of any local person who is experienced at working on these cars; for peace of mind and the sake of looking after the car, I might just change it once it needs new set of tyres. 

Overall, I've had some more opportunity to enjoy the car and my thoughts and views remain positive. I've been using the sport mode most of the time as it feels more manoeuvrable around town in this setting. Yet to use the power button though as the willingness to launch into crazy speed with ease feels remarkable on its own. I'll be testing the power button soon though...

Lexus advised to use fuel with minimum octane rating of 91 and the regular unleaded fuel has 95 with super having 97. What fuel are you all using?

The recommendation from Lexus to use 91 stems from ignorance and reading a USA manual. USA uses a different Octane rating system (average of RON & MON - UK uses RON). US 91 is about the same as UK 95.

All modern (~2000- ) car engines run 'better' on higher octane fuel - I use Shell V-Power all the time - it is 99. But then, more or less all modern cars will run perfectly well on 95 as the electronics adjust the engine settings to cope. But that takes the edge off performance. It takes a very experienced driver to notice any difference on most cars (there are exceptions - I have a supercharged '91 MX-5 which definitely requires 99 but then it does not have the knock sensor and electronics necessary for real time adjustment)

Shell V-Power at least (and probably Texaco top grade and the BP premium grade, probably others) contains fuel and injection system cleaning additives which are beneficial to long term engine cleanliness eg avoiding injector problems etc. Supermarket brands may not contain the additive packages found in top brands.

Your choice - all mainstream Lexus cars are fine on 95 - better on 98/99. LC might be an exception.

IMHO.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 11:26 AM, Gentleman said:

Took the car in this morning. Very good social distancing observed by staff and the usual Lexus customer service that is usually talked about.

Aftter the Lexus check, there was a list of recommended work as per the picture - 4 tyres, aircon, rear suspension, wheel alignment and fuel system flush. I've gone for fuel system flush and wheel alignment. Considering that the previous owner recently did alignment - my guess is that other shop may not have done a good enough job.

My intention was to change the tyres but as the car has Goodyear tyres all round with good thread, I've decided to leave this alone for a while. Also, I already found Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 Tyres with 69db, A rated grip and C rated efficiency that I was planning on purchasing from tyreshopper and I wasn't sure what Dunlop Lexus will put on.

When I change the tyres, I'll do the NSR suspension.

Total cost is £924, not bad.450974974_Lexus1.thumb.jpg.bc0e2ecef6dcd9c8e1d729f2e4493a42.jpg

Lexus 2.jpg

1) for the aircon cleanse buy yourself an aircon airbomb they are around £10 15 minutes to complete it yourself

put your fans on full speed with recirculate & a/c on then press the button on the can get out of the car close the door & windows and wait.

2) at kwikfit they have a geocare package for £125 for this you get 4 wheel alignment using the Hunter tracking system

and your car can have the geometry checked and adjusted up to 8 times in a 2 year period at no extra charge

https://www.kwik-fit.com/wheel-alignment

• Thanks 1

Just now, 200h said:

1) for the aircon cleanse buy yourself an aircon airbomb they are around £10 15 minutes to complete it yourself

put your fans on full speed with recirculate & a/c on then press the button on the can get out of the car close the door & windows and wait.

2) at kwikfit they have a geocare package for £125 for this you get 4 wheel alignment using the Hunter tracking system

and your car can have the geometry checked and adjusted up to 8 times in a 2 year period at no extra charge

https://www.national.co.uk/wheel-alignment

If you have a national branch close to you a front wheel alignment is only £30, or use code DVHPWA for 50% off. Can't complain for a front alignment for £15 🙂

• Like 1

if you divide the £125 by 8 =£15.62 per alignment for 4 wheel alignment

then you know all your wheels are pointing in the right direction,

the last time i used national tyres their alignment setup came from the ark

and not the best ,the hunter system is equal to any oem manufacturers systems

so it is absolutely spot on and well worth the money.

• Like 1

i think its £80 for a 1off alignment check and adjust or £125 for the geocare

with the condition the roads are in these days its really easy to knock the alignment

out with potholes being everywhere.

if you pay for a single tracking check / adjust you have a 30 day period where you can go back to

kwikfit and have the tracking checked and adjusted foc so thats really good aswell

On 11/28/2020 at 12:57 PM, 200h said:

Up to 8 times in any 2 year period and still cheaper than the £144 I paid at Lexus, WOW!!! Thanks for sharing.

Took car in this morning.

Half way through the job the whole road suffers a power cut.

Staff bundled all the wheels and tyres they were working on into a van and drove off to another branch.

All wheels were out of alignment, quelle surprise, but agreed to give the geo care package a go. ( I was going to do it anyway). I had to ask about it. There was no effort on their part to hard sell.

Going back in the morning to pick it up.

9 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Took car in this morning.

Half way through the job the whole road suffers a power cut.

Staff bundled all the wheels and tyres they were working on into a van and drove off to another branch.

All wheels were out of alignment, quelle surprise, but agreed to give the geo care package a go. ( I was going to do it anyway). I had to ask about it. There was no effort on their part to hard sell.

Going back in the morning to pick it up.

Interesting, let's hope the overall experience is positive. I was planning on taking the wife's car there too.

Well, tyres are on, alignment done and managed to drive home using the steering wheel without finding any ditches.

Geocare is £130 now, and as far as manager concerned I can take it back for free alignment as many times as I like in the next two years. They don't count. Just turn up unannounced and they will fit me in.

3 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Well, tyres are on, alignment done and managed to drive home using the steering wheel without finding any ditches.

Geocare is £130 now, and as far as manager concerned I can take it back for free alignment as many times as I like in the next two years. They don't count. Just turn up unannounced and they will fit me in.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like a good deal even at £130. I'll be taking the Mrs' car soon too.

Shocked

Just been to the local Sainsburys, parked up and went inside to buy some groceries. Came back, got in the car and noticed the passenger side window was half way down 😱 I thought let me start the car and wind in up and I was greeted by a message saying moon roof is open 😱😱 After starting the car, I tried to wind up the windows and it won't work 😱😱😱. I realised the window lock switch was on, I switched it off and everything worked as normal.

I was still concerned, so I went into the Sainsburys and spoke to security so I can view the CCTV. They tried but I was parked away from view. The gentleman said and I quote "catalytic converters gets stolen in this car park every other day, especially on Japanese cars". He proceeded to say they might have tried to steal the catalytic converter but were unsuccessful as it only takes 2 minutes. 

The car started and I drove home okay. I am now planning to take it to the garage at some point soon to raise it up and just check underneath.

Any similar experiences? Could it have been something else and no one tried to steal anything? Am I overreacting?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links