Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water / Moisture in boot / trunk

2 minutes ago, Shada said:

I just replaced it this afternoon. I done the annual service and it wasn't replaced last year. It was replaced 2 years ago. 

No issues with air circulation and its only the rear window fogging up. 

It might just have been the cause of the moisture build up in the vehicle.

• Like 1

Just now, royoftherovers said:

It might just have been the cause of the moisture build up in the vehicle.

It didn't look bad enough to be the issue. Its just interesting a few of us having the same problem at once. 

12 hours ago, Shada said:

No issues with air circulation and its only the rear window fogging up.

Probably an unnecessary question but is the window completely clean - dust and grease free? And do you keep the air conditioning on? It will mist up if the air conditioning is off in winter weather and the window hasn't been cleaned for a while.

is the boot lid seal still sitting on the lip and fully pressed down and are there any leaves or dirt build up

that could make water pool around the top of the seal

i've had this on a mercedes many years ago

the dealer either hosed or pressure washed the boot door and they

found water had been running down the screw theads that hold the

number plate on and then dripped into the boot

its worth a try on yours just to eliminate it

• Like 1

Indeed, I will have a look behind the number plate. There has to be an obvious issue. I'm thinking the dirt in the rear lights screw channel area might be culprit number 1,but moisture in the boot lid could be screws from the number plate

1 hour ago, 200h said:

is the boot lid seal still sitting on the lip and fully pressed down and are there any leaves or dirt build up

that could make water pool around the top of the seal

I did have a good look around the seal. Yes, everything is pressed down correctly when boot lid is down. 

received_405919687292116.jpeg

You know what you're going to have to do don't you?  Lock wife in the boot with a good torch, leave hosepipe playing on car around boot area.  Go back an hour later and check 2 things:

1. Did she spot any water ingress?

2. Is she pleased to see you?

Looking forward to the outcome of this strangely compulsive thread 🙂

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just found this existing thread, I have the exact same issue, on the LH (passenger) side of the boot lid, water/moisture is seeping in somewhere between the boot panel itself and the boot trim. I have siliconed the ends of the number plate screw holes and the bottom row of trim clip holes, but still have a slight leak. I will take the boot trim off again and as suggested maybe get back in the boot with a torch next time it rains (forecast for Tuesday!).

• Like 1

Hi Stuart, if you still have the water ingress try this. Remove both boot lid light clusters and the exterior trim that houses the reverse camera and number plate lights. See if you have any weld joint cracks along the seem that runs along this ridge. I only had a crack on the LH side but your ingress looks worse so maybe check the whole length of the seem to be sure.

• Like 1

Any updates on this? I have the exact same issue. Water coming out through the boot lock somewhere from boot lid. I was thinking thr reg plate, or reversing camera as a source of how the water is getting in. It's not loads of water, but it's enough to be concerned as my amplifier (under the felt next to the hybrid battery) stopped working recently. Had this checked over and they said moisture damage!

On 2/5/2021 at 12:20 AM, Markcampbell81 said:

Any updates on this? I have the exact same issue. Water coming out through the boot lock somewhere from boot lid. I was thinking thr reg plate, or reversing camera as a source of how the water is getting in. It's not loads of water, but it's enough to be concerned as my amplifier (under the felt next to the hybrid battery) stopped working recently. Had this checked over and they said moisture damage!

Hi Mark, best way is to pull all the boot trim clips out (fingers are sufficient for the job), then you need something thin and flat to pop open the interior boot handle/grip, where there are two crosshead screws inside to remove, before the trim fully comes away. Then drop the rear seats and squeeze into the boot area with a torch when it’s raining or have someone douse the boot with water for you to observe the boot innards for ingress. Sounds like a faff but easiest first step to pinpoint the source. If you have a weld seem crack like mine or something else, let us know.

Since I siliconed the crack in the weld/seem, my carpet is no longer getting damp (on LH side) and my condensation is completely gone, even on wet, damp and cold days. Silicone the ends of the number plate screw holes for good measure too, as they are not sealed/capped.

• Like 1

So, I was unable to find anything obvious when I stripped the boot lid and decided to take the car to Lexus Cardiff for some investigative work. 

I received a nice email from Chris at Cardiff;

Hi Mr Aspey,

I’ve phoned your mobile and left a message.

We believe that it looks like it’s going in through the number plate light plinth. So we are going to strip it down and put it back on water test. We can see however though that it looks like it has had paint at some point in it’s life as we can see some over spray etc.

Lee has asked if you’re ok to leave the vehicle with us over night and stay in the loan car for us to do some further investigation into the matter for you?

Kind Regards

Chris****** ******

Aftersales Consultant

Lexus Cardiff

Lexus Cardiff

Hadfield Road | Cardiff | Wales

Tel: 02920 348500

lee.***********@************ | www.lexus.co.uk/cardiff

So, I have a nice 70 plate UX for another day while they continue to check for further water ingress. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links