Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mud flaps

Gary WT

11 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

Fine thing.

It’s a bit too Siberian in my corner of the forest at the moment for any activity outside. Need it to warm up more than slightly.

But please do let us know how it goes. According to Steve it should be a breeze.

BFN

PeteTP

I shall get my Big Girl Pants on at the weekend and see how I get on. It doesn't look that difficult (famous last words...)

51 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Just seen the video and Mincey`s famous last words sprang to mind !😊

If I were ever to swap Betsy for a UX (I hope she's not listening - I wouldn't do it my lovely) then I would not bother fitting mudflaps.,,,

• Haha 2

I was thinking of putting Go Faster stripes on my mudflaps before I fit them. Perhaps I should ask Swinton about the wisdom of doing this? I'm sure they'd take that as an opportunity to raise my premium by a further £10 a month (roll on May....)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Must be an answer why a Chinese company can produce mud flaps that were obviously designed to fit an ES and Lexus won't or can't do same although if Lexus did offer them as an accessory they would cost an arm and a leg no doubt. 

• Like 1

I'd be curious to hear if anyone notices any cabin noise increase at motorway speed, or drops is MPG. I can only think of those two reasons as to why Lexus aren't offering these themselves. Well perhaps also the aesthetics of them offended the designers too much 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peniole said:

I'd be curious to hear if anyone notices any cabin noise increase at motorway speed, or drops is MPG. I can only think of those two reasons as to why Lexus aren't offering these themselves. Well perhaps also the aesthetics of them offended the designers too much 🤷‍♂️

That's a good point. As you can see from this photo there is in effect a 2 inch deep 'air scoop' on each one. Times this by 4 and the drag will increase so a good possibility of noise increase as well.

untitled-9.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

To my eternal shame, Betsy's mudflaps are still sitting on my work bench in the garage. It's a bit chilly to put them on at the moment...

Please may I joint you in your hall of shame? We are, are we not, the founding members of an elite club of mud flap under-achievers.

PeteTP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteTP said:

Please may I joint you in your hall of shame? We are, are we not, the founding members of an elite club of mud flap under-achievers.

PeteTP

I like it! The LOC MFU. 

It's true that a car's CO2 level is influenced by air flow. e.g  my wife once chose a Citroen C3 for her daily runabout and between the two models she considered there was a zero road fund licence fee on one model and a £30 road fund licence fee on the other.  

Why?  it was down to one model having alloy wheels and the other had plastic hub caps and the salesman said it was all to do with air flow around the wheels impacting fuel economy, the plastic  flush fitting hub caps being more streamlined than the more angular shaped alloy wheel.   So  fitting mud flaps may influence fuel economy.  I will gladly put up with my average of 50.4 mpg with my flaps fitted which keep the body work a little cleaner than the benefit of 1 or 2 extra miles on the average. 

4 minutes ago, SH20 said:

It's true that a car's CO2 level is influenced by air flow. e.g  my wife once chose a Citroen C3 for her daily runabout and between the two models she considered there was a zero road fund licence fee on one model and a £30 road fund licence fee on the other.  

Why?  it was down to one model having alloy wheels and the other had plastic hub caps and the salesman said it was all to do with air flow around the wheels impacting fuel economy, the plastic  flush fitting hub caps being more streamlined than the more angular shaped alloy wheel.   So  fitting mud flaps may influence fuel economy.  I will gladly put up with my average of 50.4 mpg with my flaps fitted which keep the body work a little cleaner than the benefit of 1 or 2 extra miles on the average. 

Did you hear any increase in noise after fitting the mud flaps may I ask?

No difference in the noise before and after fitting mud flaps but then again I couldn't tell the difference between my Lexus LS460 with a Mark Levinson audio and the next Lexus I owned a GS450h without a ML audio.   I just don't have an ear for things like that. 

I still think that flaps suppress water etc and force the water down rather than up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

After careful consideration I have decided not to fit the new mud flaps. They are listed in the for sale section if anyone is interested.

Ooh. May I ask the reason?

PeteTP

A potential downside to fitting these is if corrosion started anywhere near the mud flap area which I am sure it would not but if it did occur Lexus would blame the fitment. It gives them a get out of jail free card in the event of panel corrosion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fitting of these mud flap kits from China doesn't require any drilling of metal bodywork and the securing fixings and bolts engage existing locations so the two bolts on the front flaps go back in to the same holes and the same goes for the plastic fixings which re enter the same holes already there.  You can add a self tapping screw for an additional fix in the rear flaps but that screw merely screws directly into the plastic rear wheel arch liner.  This extra fixing is optional as you don't have it use it  if you choose not to.   No risk of corrosion developing.      

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SH20 said:

This extra fixing is optional as you don't have it use it  if you choose not to.   No risk of corrosion developing.      

It could be argued that putting pressure on the plastic wheel arch liner that then made more increased contact with the steel wheel arch caused paint perforation and then corrosion. Especially in an area that is permanently wet. Many corrosion claims in the motor industry are rejected, any reason will do...

The self tapping number 6 screw that you can fit if you want passes through the mud flap and wheel arch liner into a void behind the wheel arch liner and would suggest no pressure or strain on the plastic arch liner would cause the liner  to create a  situation whereby it affected the paint of the steel wheel arch. Just my view on having fitted them using the extra fixing screw.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links