Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone using ALA Gap insurance

Hello to one and all advice please. Looking at gap insurance. My Lexus dealership don't sell it anymore but put me in touch with there parent company Stoneacer

I am also looking at gap insurance from ALA the cost is very similar 

anyone using ALA ?

With ALA I can also purchase lost key fob a stand alone policy for replacement key fob at £21 a year and covers all keys on the fob

( house key)any claim will not have any impact on any other policy I have 

Thank you for reading 

Yes, I'm with them, but haven't had to claim yet. Very easy to organise. 

If you quote PH20 (from Pistonheads) you'll get 20% discount. When I've spoken to them, Katie is very good to talk to. 

I had them on the last new car I had. Luckily I never had to claim but they were very pleasant and priced competitively. They're definitely one of the more well known GAP providers. 

Not sure I'd bother with the key thing but for £21 it's not breaking the bank.

I’m with a company called ‘Direct Gap’ who were recommended to me and - as with virtually all of them - they were substantially cheaper than the Lexus option.

Never had to claim, but they were very easy and efficient to set-up and when I switched to my second NX they made it very easy just to transfer the policy at no charge.

Interesting GAP related story for anyone who might think it's a bit of a waste of money.

We get our commercial vehicles on business contract hire and a few years ago added a brand new Peugeot Expert to the fleet. Working out of hours we allowed the drivers to take them home. One night the lad who took this van home got ****** up, had a massive row with his girlfriend, grabbed the keys, drove a mile down the road and wrote it off.

A few weeks later discussing the outcome with Peugeot we were trying to negotiate the settlement as the insurance certainly didn't cover the outstanding finance. I asked the person on the phone if she had GAP insurance on her vehicle. She replied "Yes. Because I spend all day talking to people like you who haven't"

Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Hi.

Just to let you know that we offer a 12 month product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.

Please feel free to take a look if you wish.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/

Regards,

Dan.

A lot depends upon one’s attitude to risk. I’ve purchased 6 brand new cars during the period that gap insurance has been available. Never once had to make a total loss claim in that period. Probably saved a packet in gap insurance premiums along the way.

• Like 1

Lucky you. But equally you could say the same about home contents insurance and whether you've ever had flood or been burgled. 

And GAP isn't madly expensive. Few years ago now but iirc I paid about £120 for 4 years cover.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, paulrnx said:

A lot depends upon one’s attitude to risk. I’ve purchased 6 brand new cars during the period that gap insurance has been available. Never once had to make a total loss claim in that period. Probably saved a packet in gap insurance premiums along the way.

Fair enough Paul.

I have only done it once, last year when I bought my son a new car and he lives in what might be described as INDIAN COUNTRY.

10 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Lucky you. But equally you could say the same about home contents insurance and whether you've ever had flood or been burgled. 

And GAP isn't madly expensive. Few years ago now but iirc I paid about £120 for 4 years cover.

Sounds like a good price for four years cover 👍

• Like 1

It's an odd one with GAP. Leasing or buying a car on finance you can be quite exposed but after committing to a £20, £30, £40k car over however many years suddenly a couple of hundred quid in case your car's written off becomes a financial stretch.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, rich1068 said:

Not quite the same as home insurance really. Home insurance would equate to normal car insurance. That said, £120 for 4 years cover is worth it I’d say. £30 a year or £2.50 per month is pretty good value 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a fiesta a couple of years ago. I was offered GAP insurance by the dealer for £400.

My offer of £200 for the insurance was immediately accepted!

I later found that I had still paid over the odds! 

As with all insurance it is only worth insuring for catastrophe as the companies need to make a profit and overall you are unlikely to recoup your costs.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links