Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is250 strange noise from driver side wheel

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, hope you don't mind me bothering you. A week ago i bought a '06 is250. Yesterday i took off the bumper to change a headlight. On my way to the shop, i heard a noise coming from the vicinity of the right front wheel. Only happens at speeds between 60 to 80km/h. Quiet at low speeds,over bumps or when i turn. It doesn't sound like wheel bearing to me but i'm not familiar with Lexus, so not sure. The sound is more like a scraping sound. I made a video clip, will share the link if necessary. Thanks in advance for your help.   

All the plastics arch linings secured ok are they? As speed they may be touching tyre and this may not be obvious when stopped!

• Tnx for all the replies! Sorry couldn’t get back sooner. I’ve checked all the bits near the wheel and under the car. I’ve also came to the conclusion that it might be the wheel bearing. Very strange though. I’ve had cars with wheel bearing failures before and you could normally hear a whining sound that gets louder as speed increase. I’ll check again tomorrow, then have to bite the bullet and order a new wheel bearing/hub. Will keep you guys posted. Once again tnx for your input. 

I would expect a bearing that was faulty to be continuously faulty, ie the noise won’t go away, yours sounds unlike any bearing failure I have known and I recommend a good inspection of the under side of your car and all it’s running gear ASAP for safety’s sake! Especially since you have only had car a week!

Have a check on DVLA site at MOT history and see if any underside components have been mentioned previously either as a fail or advisory item.

• Like 1

Thousand and one things it could be! Some more serious than others, That’s why you need to get hands on soon as! 
I recommend getting the wheels off and having a good inspection of all running gear.

I would say that definitely sounds more than just a wheel bearing and since you took off the front bumper could be something you didn't put back right 🤔.Was the noise there before the headlight change?🤔

On 3/23/2021 at 4:02 PM, Beamish said:

Hi Lesley,

Might sound a bit obvious but have you checked that the wheel nuts are fully tightened?

Hi. Nothing is taken for granted at this stage. Not the wheel nuts

On 3/23/2021 at 4:41 PM, Tyre Tread said:

If its the rattling sound then that's not a wheel bearing.

Sounds more like the undertray rattling.

You sure the little flap for access to the oil filter isn't unsecured and flapping about?

That was my first instinct but in fact the under tray was missing when I bought the car. 

On 3/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, Texas said:

Thousand and one things it could be! Some more serious than others, That’s why you need to get hands on soon as! 
I recommend getting the wheels off and having a good inspection of all running gear.

Sure. Ordered a new wheel bearing hub from energized customs in the uk, just to rule that out. Hope to get it by tomorrow. 

On 3/23/2021 at 6:37 PM, scudney said:

I would say that definitely sounds more than just a wheel bearing and since you took off the front bumper could be something you didn't put back right 🤔.Was the noise there before the headlight change?🤔

Everything ok before I had the bumper off. Now wether it’s just a coincidence,I don’t know. Since I had the bumper off, I can honestly not think about anything that can cause that noise.  🤯

Just an update...

l took the bumper off , put it back again. Took the wheel off and re assembled everything, took her for a test drive and viola! Noise gone! 

Tnx again for all your advice. Appreciate it sincerely. Now I can concentrate on other bits. 

19 hours ago, Texas said:

Listening to that audio again it prob was some piece of trim/bodywork that was resonating when upto a certain speed!

In hindsight, it certainly was😁

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links