Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A few odds and ends in the LS400

Afternoon! Had the LS on the road now for about 2 weeks, lovely wafting about here and there, very relaxing.

A few things have yet to be resolved, any insight/ information would be welcomed.

I have 1 manual key only, it unlocks all doors if used in the front passenger door, but if used on drivers door only unlocks that door - wondered if this was purposeful or a problem?

Each door window switch works its own window, the drivers multiswitch, only does its own window, doesn't do any of the passenger windows and the 'auto' feature, does not work. I have tried to 'reset' without result and replaced the window switch with a spare without result - dodgy wiring?

Cluster randomly will randomly decide to not work, give it a tap and springs into life. No pattern to it working/ not working.

Backing lights to radio unit do not work, opened it and replaced the bulbs but still doesn't work, wondered if there was another known problem with the radio unit?

Occasionally on start up, the car will 'spit' a few times before firing into life - no pattern, just random. It will be getting new plugs soon, just waiting for space to manifest itself at the unit... I read about the coil pack problem, so can look into that as well but any other items to check?

Occasionally whilst sat waiting in traffic or at the lights, the idling rpm will fluctuate quite a bit, anything from 200-1000. Since fuelling up twice with a full tank it has settled, wondered if it was crap fuel as it had been sat for 6 months or more whilst work was being carried out and only really moved to be swapped in/ out the unit. Anything else known to cause this? Was going to check all lines in case of air leaks etc.

Temporary fix on the AC lasted 2 days, so now getting it repaired correctly!

Aside these minor niggles, happy as larry in this car, especially in this weather with the sunroof open 😄

*Also forgot the headlight washer jets don't work*

One or two suggestions I can think of...

7 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

Afternoon! Had the LS on the road now for about 2 weeks, lovely wafting about here and there, very relaxing.

A few things have yet to be resolved, any insight/ information would be welcomed.

I have 1 manual key only, it unlocks all doors if used in the front passenger door, but if used on drivers door only unlocks that door - wondered if this was purposeful or a problem? That rings a bell. I'll have a dig back from when I got my '97 but it may be a feature. Or when I'm with the car I'll try it. Sourcing a remote fob solved it.

Each door window switch works its own window, the drivers multiswitch, only does its own window, doesn't do any of the passenger windows and the 'auto' feature, does not work. I have tried to 'reset' without result and replaced the window switch with a spare without result - dodgy wiring? Not sure about the Auto feature (only works "down" anyway) but that sounds like the other windows are disabled with the button on the multiswitch.

Cluster randomly will randomly decide to not work, give it a tap and springs into life. No pattern to it working/ not working.

Backing lights to radio unit do not work, opened it and replaced the bulbs but still doesn't work, wondered if there was another known problem with the radio unit? @steve2006 fixed mine. It's a thing. Solder cracks or somesuch.

Occasionally on start up, the car will 'spit' a few times before firing into life - no pattern, just random. It will be getting new plugs soon, just waiting for space to manifest itself at the unit... I read about the coil pack problem, so can look into that as well but any other items to check?

Occasionally whilst sat waiting in traffic or at the lights, the idling rpm will fluctuate quite a bit, anything from 200-1000. Since fuelling up twice with a full tank it has settled, wondered if it was crap fuel as it had been sat for 6 months or more whilst work was being carried out and only really moved to be swapped in/ out the unit. Anything else known to cause this? Was going to check all lines in case of air leaks etc. I get this with the A/C pump on and it's extremely noticeable and also a "feature". But you say your A/C is broken...?

Temporary fix on the AC lasted 2 days, so now getting it repaired correctly!

Aside these minor niggles, happy as larry in this car, especially in this weather with the sunroof open 😄

• Thanks 1

I would certainly get the fuel filter changed and see how it runs with a new filter and new plugs. Also it may be worth getting some MAF sensor cleaner and carefully giving that a clean. Petrol sitting for 6 months isn't ideal either. Also worth getting codes read to see if that throws anything up.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Radio backlights or radio backlights and other button backlights out too?

If the latter then yes there is a common cause.

59556B05-8B1E-43BE-86A3-629D2DBF952F.jpeg

The AC unit LCD is fine and the backlights work (will double check), looks to have been replaced at some point.

The radio unit itself and the buttons on it don't seem to have any light (again will double check)

@rich1068 regarding the A/C, funny you should say that I think it only did this when the AC was working, now the AC has re-broke (temporary fix was very temporary) it hasn't made itself apparent. The drier unit connection that comes from the condenser was mega brittle and the o-ring inset broke clean off on removal @steve2006 was going to look for one in his 'shed' but never heard anything back...

@The-Acre it has now been through 2 full tanks of fuel and whilst the problems have improved, I will monitor. It will remain on the road until new unit has been purchased, then it gets a nut and bolt restore, so will leave full investigations for then/ part replacements, needs a lot of loving as sills are starting to rust and poor thing has been pulled about a lot in its life time and paint is beyond a quick respray, so when space is not a premium, the full monty is being carried out 😄

11 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

then it gets a nut and bolt restore

blimey, gonna be the first million £££££ Ls400 :yes:

Malc

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Kieran, I know you have quite a list - but did you manage to fix the door window switches problem? I have a similar issue.

Herbie suggested disconnecting the Battery - it worked for me! Thanks anyway.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 4:10 PM, hockeyedwards said:

Backing lights to radio unit do not work, opened it and replaced the bulbs but still doesn't work, wondered if there was another known problem with the radio unit?

for me none of the lights for my buttons on the whole centre console worked, until I replaced a fuse in the driver's footwell fuse box. New fuse and they all came back to life. Suggest you take a look 🙂

On 6/16/2021 at 4:10 PM, hockeyedwards said:

*Also forgot the headlight washer jets don't work*

only one of mine works 😄 following thread for solutions

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 8:47 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

Kieran, I know you have quite a list - but did you manage to fix the door window switches problem? I have a similar issue.

Sorry, didn't receive notification of the reply! I have tried everything under the sun with no success, so it'll have to wait until the car gets the full dismantle. We have narrowed it down to the drivers door itself being at fault somehow, everything works individually but the drivers door does nothing to other windows etc, also does not bring on the interior door light, but other doors do it as they should.

About to purchase storage, so I've gone from fixing problems, to listing them for investigation as the car will ultimately come apart for restoration. I will do my best to make threads of the rebuild and solving of any problems.

33 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

Sorry, didn't receive notification of the reply! I have tried everything under the sun with no success, so it'll have to wait until the car gets the full dismantle. We have narrowed it down to the drivers door itself being at fault somehow, everything works individually but the drivers door does nothing to other windows etc, also does not bring on the interior door light, but other doors do it as they should.

About to purchase storage, so I've gone from fixing problems, to listing them for investigation as the car will ultimately come apart for restoration. I will do my best to make threads of the rebuild and solving of any problems.

Have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal of the Battery? It worked for my problem, thanks to Herbie! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links