Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Service costs


Recommended Posts

Hello folks,

My next service is due in November and I have a Service Plan in place which covers this one and the one due in November 2022.

I also have an extended warranty in place (the 2 for 1 jobby) which expires in January 2022.  From what I have been reading on the forum, the warranty that I have will simply end then and, I am assuming that the new Relax Warranty will be put in place following this November's service.  There won't be any refund due as I have claimed on the warranty this year.

My car will be 7 years old at this next service with 35000 miles on the clock and, I think that I have read somewhere on here that Lexus no longer provide the Essential level of service.  With this in mind I am wondering what my best options will be, stay with Lexus or go independent servicing.

Are the Lexus servicing costs listed anywhere? I went on to Lexus UK but couldn't find anything.  I'm not sure that I can afford to upgrade to a newer Lexus and so am considering other brands where the running costs might be a bit lower.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.  Thank you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Relax starts from the day you have the service. Got mine last week, but still haven’t asked for refund which is pretty straightforward. 
If you stick with the NX, it’s probably worth also sticking with dealer services to keep the relax warranty - which is less comprehensive than the extended warranty, but still worthwhile in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Geoff, to change your NX will cost you thousands.

To change to another Brand will cost you likewise and it will be less reliable.

To stay with your Lexus will cost you Peanuts by comparison.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Hello folks,

My next service is due in November and I have a Service Plan in place which covers this one and the one due in November 2022.

I also have an extended warranty in place (the 2 for 1 jobby) which expires in January 2022.  From what I have been reading on the forum, the warranty that I have will simply end then and, I am assuming that the new Relax Warranty will be put in place following this November's service.  There won't be any refund due as I have claimed on the warranty this year.

My car will be 7 years old at this next service with 35000 miles on the clock and, I think that I have read somewhere on here that Lexus no longer provide the Essential level of service.  With this in mind I am wondering what my best options will be, stay with Lexus or go independent servicing.

Are the Lexus servicing costs listed anywhere? I went on to Lexus UK but couldn't find anything.  I'm not sure that I can afford to upgrade to a newer Lexus and so am considering other brands where the running costs might be a bit lower.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.  Thank you.

 

What are your immediate priorities Geoff? Annualised running costs, including tax, insurance, Mpg etc. Or reliability because of your individual needs, or subjective, feel good stuff such as comfort, looks, status etc. Assuming you own all the asset you could sell and with the cash buy a new vehicle with service included for the next 3/5 years but would you be happy? You have had the privilege of driving a luxury SUV and trading down on that experience is a big call for most people but you may be different 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Phil I do love my Lexus and the brand is certainly the best I have ever owned without a shadow of doubt.

With the car now being 7 years old, I'm not too sure if things might start to go.  I thought about getting something perhaps 2 or 3 years old, the Peugeot 3008 caught my eye but, would it be as reliable as my NX?

The overall running costs would be less. such as insurance and servicing.  Replacement parts when required would almost certainly be cheaper than Lexus parts.

The other thing at the back of my mind is, how much longer will I be driving, it could possibly be another 8 to 10 years with luck I suppose.  I shall be 81 shortly. I suppose I could keep the NX until that day arrives and hope it doesn't require any huge outlay.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 6:00 PM, bluenose1940 said:

Yes Phil I do love my Lexus and the brand is certainly the best I have ever owned without a shadow of doubt.

With the car now being 7 years old, I'm not too sure if things might start to go.  I thought about getting something perhaps 2 or 3 years old, the Peugeot 3008 caught my eye but, would it be as reliable as my NX?

Peugeot have made a lot of progress in the last few years but it seems highly unlikely they'll be as reliable. You also need to factor in depreciation. Lexus cars simply hold value better.

I think your first phrase in the quote probably answers your question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Whites said:

By the extended warranty , not relax

The extended warranty is no longer a Lexus option, although you could probably get one from somebody else.  Also, I was told by Lexus Cheltenham yesterday while my car was being serviced that they no longer do 'Essential Service' offering lower service costs on cars older than 5 years.  Also, they have stopped giving discount on service to 'Gold' forum members.  I also asked about getting reimbursement on the unexpired 12 month period of the two year warranty I took out with them.  I was told if it was a Lexus one I would have to seek this from Lexus.  The receptionist said if it was a 'Thistle Group' one it would NOT be refunded, so to check my paperwork.  So I must look into this. 

I noticed from prominently placed leaflets in the waiting area, that although Lexus finished top in a 2018 reliability survey, they were closely followed by Kia (above Toyota) and Kia are significantly less expensive to run and service.  My daughter has run a Sorento for several years and it's pretty good (if lacking quite the up market feel of a Lexus.)  However, each generation of their cars has showed a great improvement over the previous one and I will carefully consider one of their cars next time, especially as there will be hybrid, plug in and full BEV models I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2021 at 6:00 PM, bluenose1940 said:

Yes Phil I do love my Lexus and the brand is certainly the best I have ever owned without a shadow of doubt.

With the car now being 7 years old, I'm not too sure if things might start to go.  I thought about getting something perhaps 2 or 3 years old, the Peugeot 3008 caught my eye but, would it be as reliable as my NX?

The overall running costs would be less. such as insurance and servicing.  Replacement parts when required would almost certainly be cheaper than Lexus parts.

The other thing at the back of my mind is, how much longer will I be driving, it could possibly be another 8 to 10 years with luck I suppose.  I shall be 81 shortly. I suppose I could keep the NX until that day arrives and hope it doesn't require any huge outlay.

 

 

Is money an issue for you Geoff? If not then stay as you are for the time being would be my call. More problematic is I detect changing attitudes towards drivers over 70 with more intrusive health questions and re-tests both a distinct possibility 😕. The sun is shining, let's continue to make hay 😎

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

The extended warranty is no longer a Lexus option, although you could probably get one from somebody else.  Also, I was told by Lexus Cheltenham yesterday while my car was being serviced that they no longer do 'Essential Service' offering lower service costs on cars older than 5 years.  Also, they have stopped giving discount on service to 'Gold' forum members.  I also asked about getting reimbursement on the unexpired 12 month period of the two year warranty I took out with them.  I was told if it was a Lexus one I would have to seek this from Lexus.  The receptionist said if it was a 'Thistle Group' one it would NOT be refunded, so to check my paperwork.  So I must look into this. 

I noticed from prominently placed leaflets in the waiting area, that although Lexus finished top in a 2018 reliability survey, they were closely followed by Kia (above Toyota) and Kia are significantly less expensive to run and service.  My daughter has run a Sorento for several years and it's pretty good (if lacking quite the up market feel of a Lexus.)  However, each generation of their cars has showed a great improvement over the previous one and I will carefully consider one of their cars next time, especially as there will be hybrid, plug in and full BEV models I think. 

Crikey Barry, a double whammy 😱 I guess it's a good time to consider other outlets? As to the warranty well that displays a poor attitude in my opinion, firstly, if a Lexus warranty? Then they might have offered to sort it for you, secondly, if they took your money as part of the initial transaction then its still their contract, not Thistle whoever they may be, presumably finance? But this raises a bigger question which I foresaw earlier this year, ie, with the Relax programme in play how interested will dealers be as the Warranty group will be hard task masters when it comes to reimbursement and opportunities to "pull the wool" gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2021 at 6:00 PM, bluenose1940 said:

The other thing at the back of my mind is, how much longer will I be driving, it could possibly be another 8 to 10 years with luck I suppose.

look here young man :wink3:

your car has done a tiny mileage for it's age and will continue at 5k miles a year until you give up driving, so, it's quite unlikely you will need to ever claim for any warranty work .........  your car is a good Lexus that suits you admirably.........  tiny tiny careful mileage continuing for the rest of your driving time methinks too .  all you're going to need, touch wood, is normal regular annual servicing and MOT together with the occasional but rare set of tyres and brakes and consumables NOT covered by any sort of warranty AND what's more, all this regular servicing and maintenance can be done by a good local competent independent trustworthy NON- Lexus Main Dealer and save you £'000's over the time...................

No point you changing your car unless you've got spare cash to burn and just fancy a change ........ your Lexus should last you for a very very long time and give you supreme confidence that nowt will cost you other than regular servicing and regular expected maintenance

Stick with it I say, well, at least for another 20 years :thumbsup:

Malc

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Phil xxkr said:

Crikey Barry, a double whammy 😱 I guess it's a good time to consider other outlets? As to the warranty well that displays a poor attitude in my opinion, firstly, if a Lexus warranty? Then they might have offered to sort it for you, secondly, if they took your money as part of the initial transaction then its still their contract, not Thistle whoever they may be, presumably finance? But this raises a bigger question which I foresaw earlier this year, ie, with the Relax programme in play how interested will dealers be as the Warranty group will be hard task masters when it comes to reimbursement and opportunities to "pull the wool" gone. 

The discontinued Lexus Extended Warranty along with the new Lexus Relax Warranty are the only Warranties in existence to cover existing faults. It is nonsensical to enter into a new Warranty which by definition will exclude both existing conditions and the Hybrid Battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Malc said:

look here young man :wink3:

your car has done a tiny mileage for it's age and will continue at 5k miles a year until you give up driving, so, it's quite unlikely you will need to ever claim for any warranty work .........  your car is a good Lexus that suits you admirably.........  tiny tiny careful mileage continuing for the rest of your driving time methinks too .  all you're going to need, touch wood, is normal regular annual servicing and MOT together with the occasional but rare set of tyres and brakes and consumables NOT covered by any sort of warranty AND what's more, all this regular servicing and maintenance can be done by a good local competent independent trustworthy NON- Lexus Main Dealer and save you £'000's over the time...................

No point you changing your car unless you've got spare cash to burn and just fancy a change ........ your Lexus should last you for a very very long time and give you supreme confidence that nowt will cost you other than regular servicing and regular expected maintenance

Stick with it I say, well, at least for another 20 years :thumbsup:

Malc

Hallelujah Malc !👍👍👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonderful input from you all as usual, thank you chaps.

Just off to pick up my wife's 20 plate Peugeot 208.  Might just have a look at a 3008 whilst I'm drinking their coffee😜😜

Thanks again.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The discontinued Lexus Extended Warranty along with the new Lexus Relax Warranty are the only Warranties in existence to cover existing faults. It is nonsensical to enter into a new Warranty which by definition will exclude both existing conditions and the Hybrid Battery.

Don't think that's the interpretation John. I read it as being, Thistle Group (PCP/finance ? ) provided a bundled deal including some form of extended warranty which may or may not be with Lexus . Lexus Cheltenham are saying if that's the case then the warranty contract  is not their responsibility be it with Lexus or not. In other words washing their hands, which as I said is is really poor. I wonder if an accountant has been put in charge? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Phil xxkr said:

Don't think that's the interpretation John. I read it as being, Thistle Group (PCP/finance ? ) provided a bundled deal including some form of extended warranty which may or may not be with Lexus . Lexus Cheltenham are saying if that's the case then the warranty contract  is not their responsibility be it with Lexus or not. In other words washing their hands, which as I said is is really poor. I wonder if an accountant has been put in charge? 

Thanks Phil. I was not commenting on what you Posted, merely making the observation that to my knowledge there is no Warranty in existence which will cover existing faults, other than the two Lexus Warranties  I mentioned. It is therefore silly to seek solace outside of the Lexus Fold.

And just do not start me on the subject of Accountants please !

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

 

And just do not start me on the subject of Accountants please !

Accountants and car manufacturing is not a good combination John. They have been running GM Europe ( Opel-Vauxhall-Saab) for decades and never ever made money. Opel Germany alone racked up a whopping 20 billion Euro loss in 20years under GM rule. Their only answer was further cost reduction again and again until the endresult was an output of mediocre cars that were not competitive and nobody wanted. One year after the takeover by the French PSA Opel was profitable! This is seen as the turnaround of the decade. I always thoroughly check what my accountant has done for my personall stuff end more than once i find mistakes..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Accountants and car manufacturing is not a good combination John. They have been running GM Europe ( Opel-Vauxhall-Saab) for decades and never ever made money. Opel Germany alone racked up a whopping 20 billion Euro loss in 20years under GM rule. Their only answer was further cost reduction again and again until the endresult was an output of mediocre cars that were not competitive and nobody wanted. One year after the takeover by the French PSA Opel was profitable! This is seen as the turnaround of the decade. I always thoroughly check what my accountant has done for my personall stuff end more than once i find mistakes..

I agree with all of that Bernard.👍 There is line in one of Merle Haggard`s song (Are the Good Times really over?) which says

"I wish a Ford and a Chevy would last ten years, as they should."

I do not have a single Accountant in my World X1 to play Mars !

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Accountants know the cost of everything but don’t know the value of anything

Q:what is the term for 50,000 accountants at the bottom of the ocean? A: A start! (same applies to lawyers 🤗

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Q:what is the term for 50,000 accountants at the bottom of the ocean? A: A start! (same applies to lawyers 🤗

And the definition of an Accountant is.................................?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

And the definition of an Accountant is.................................?

Someone who knows GxD invented economists so they could, at last, have someone to laugh at. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 11:59 AM, royoftherovers said:

I agree with all of that Bernard.👍 There is line in one of Merle Haggard`s song (Are the Good Times really over?) which says

"I wish a Ford and a Chevy would last ten years, as they should."

I do not have a single Accountant in my World X1 to play Mars !

In a previous life I was After-sales manager of the (then) largest Audi/VW group in Europe and we had a great team with a wealth of knowledge. A new accountant started with the company and he advised the owner to get rid of us all. His reasoning being that with our lengthy service and annual wage increments we were far more expensive than the average after-sales team.

The owner asked him 'Can you repair an engine or a gearbox?' To which he replied 'No'. Neither can I said the owner - now shut up and get on with your job.

The accountant lasted 9 months. 🙂

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many accountants are unaffected by stress? Just 2%

Just picked this up ..............

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The Collective Noun for a group of Accountants is..........?

KPMG or DELOITTE or PRICE WATERHOUSE or ERNST YOUNG = "  KOITEPRICEY'ERN "....... to be abbreviated at will ......... a    KOTPERN

pop that into the new English Dictionary maybe ?

Malc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership