Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wiring Loom Corrosion

I have just had my RX400h serviced at a local garage. 

I was told that there is 'alarming levels' of corrosion around the wiring loom as it exits the rear axle.

He seems convinced that this would be terminal for the car when it eventually let go.

Does anyone have any experience of corrosion in this area? If the cable does part company - will the car still operate to get me home?

Will it be an economic write-off?

Thanks for your time.

• 3 months later...

I firmly believe in a mechanic for mechanical things, auto electrician for electrical things, so I agree with Malcolm - get a second opinion from an auto electrician.

Alternatively, find the corrosion and cut out the affected wires and splice in new ones if the corrosion is in the length. If the corrosion is at the connector, give it a good clean with an electrical contact cleaner such as one of these:

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=electrical contact cleaner

• Like 1

My (some time ago, during a transmission fluid change) recollection of inspecting this presumably high voltage cable to the rear motor is that it has a short outer exposed shielding section of braided copper (?). The braid was showing obvious signs of salt corrosion and was therefore given a thorough spray of  Waxoyl to help prolong it’s life.

I wonder if the mechanic who inspected Oldstoat’s RX saw a similar thing and assumed the worst?  Surely if HV cables were becoming exposed then a fault code of some kind would be logged.

Another casualty here:

Toyota / Lexus design may be technically brilliant but they have a complete lack of common sense when it comes to specifying corrosion resistant vehicles for use in countries such as the UK where winter road salt is used or is it sneaky planned obsolescence?

1 hour ago, kenhall said:

Toyota / Lexus design may be technically brilliant but they have a complete lack of common sense when it comes to specifying corrosion resistant vehicles for use in countries such as the UK where winter road salt is used or is it sneaky planned obsolescence?

The RX series II just seems to lack proper corrosion protection, and that extends to the 400h and its HV shielding/armour. It's strange really as Toyota are normally extremely good for corrosion resistance and most, if not all, Lexus model both before and after are better.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2022 at 9:34 AM, PCM said:

... mine didn't fail, but it was on the way out on my RX, so I had it replaced with a new Lexus part.

Hi, any idea of the cost of this + labour for fitting the part. Been told by an indie on last oil change mine is on the way out but they had no idea of the cost of the part. Any advice would be appreciated. 

7 hours ago, CT200H_RX400 said:

Hi, any idea of the cost of this + labour for fitting the part. Been told by an indie on last oil change mine is on the way out but they had no idea of the cost of the part. Any advice would be appreciated. 

On my RX, and it was a few years ago, I vaguely recall it was done in conjunction with something else at the same time...

So, my inaccurate guess: 2-3 hundred pounds? I know my loom was VERY corroded. 

I thought garages had 'tables' that gave them hours for particular jobs. So they should, be able to give you a reasonably accurate estimate.

• Thanks 1

Azam, welcome to this forum

I would pop in the reiteration about using the professionalism of an Auto Electrician maybe  .......  just a thought 

Tbh  15 years young seems a tad on the early side to have such issues . unless she's been boating down the Thames or summat  😃

Malc

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2023 at 7:40 AM, PCM said:

On my RX, and it was a few years ago, I vaguely recall it was done in conjunction with something else at the same time...

So, my inaccurate guess: 2-3 hundred pounds? I know my loom was VERY corroded. 

I thought garages had 'tables' that gave them hours for particular jobs. So they should, be able to give you a reasonably accurate estimate.

Thanks that’s reassuring to know! 🙂 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links