Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing Brakes/Discs - worried about non-lexus garage

Afternoon all,

I purchased my IS300h premier from Lexus Swindon (great service) in May 2021, 63,000 FSH and added on two years extended warranty. Previous car was an is220d sport.

Now, when I am breaking or even sometimes crawling at speeds, I hear a squeak, which I assume are the breaks needing to be replaced. I haven't yet taken it into Lexus to check, but was wondering, is it safe for a non-lexus/toyota to replace the breaks/discs? I am just worried about the regenerative breaking and whether a garage can "muck up" the breaking system when changing. 

Lexus are charging £840 for breaks and discs all round, which I feel is on he expensive side. Was wondering it there are no difficulties an independent garage could change them fine and for half the price. 

Thanks in advance.

If the brakes need bleeding then they'll need Techstream software to do that properly but just replacement of pads and/or discs needs nothing special and any good garage will be able to do them.

Might be a stupid question (probably is)... but don't brakes need bleeding when pads are changed anyway? 

Could I just ask, would you say £840 for brakes and discs is expensive? Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, Gossy1988 said:

Might be a stupid question (probably is)... but don't brakes need bleeding when pads are changed anyway? 

Could I just ask, would you say £840 for brakes and discs is expensive? Thanks again.

I would be very surprised if you need new brake pads and discs at that mileage - worst case would be fronts only - I had my front pads and discs replaced at 82,000 miles on my IS 300h but they weren't worn out but as I had wheel bearings changed made sense to have discs and pads done at the same time. Now at 108,000 miles and still plenty of life left on the rear pads (they don't do much work in a hybrid). Also what you have been quoted is expensive - as your car is over 5 years old the cost at Lexus dealer should be for Essential Care and so about £295 for the front discs and pads and £275 for rear discs and pads according to the Lexus website. 

9 minutes ago, Gossy1988 said:

Could I just ask, would you say £840 for brakes and discs is expensive?

I would indeed, but we are talking Lexus main dealer prices whose labour charge is about £130+VAT per hour and their costs for parts will no doubt also be extortionate.

2 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

as your car is over 5 years old the cost at Lexus dealer should be for Essential Care and so about £295 for the front discs and pads and £275 for rear discs and pads

Is Essential Care still available now? I thought it was ended when the Relax warranty came in?

3 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Is Essential Care still available now? I thought it was ended when the Relax warranty came in?

It's still available for maintenance parts like brakes, dampers etc. but not for the servicing. See https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/lexus-essential-care/

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 12:30 PM, Gossy1988 said:

is it safe for a non-lexus/toyota to replace the breaks/discs? I am just worried about the regenerative breaking and whether a garage can "muck up" the breaking system when changing. 

The regenerative braking doesn't happen in the brakes. When you brake lightly the brake pads may not operate at all. This is why they wear out much more slowly on the drive wheels (rear wheels on an IS300h) than on a conventional car.

Instead, the electricity regeneration happens in the transmission where the motor/generators are. These operate as motors when accelerating and as generators when slowing down. It's a bit like engine braking when you use the engine to slow down the car. In the hybrid transmission the motor/generators slow down the car by generating electricity which is then stored in the Battery.

Personally I would get a full brake check done before assuming you need new pads and discs, it could be something as simple as a bit of grit or stone stuck in the brakes, seized calliper pins are rife on any Lexus model as they are not serviced I.e. regreased. Any other problems like poor brake performance or juddering on the steering wheel when applying the brakes?

• Like 2

I recently did the brake discs and pads myself. It was really easy, no different to any other car really. 

I used genuine Lexus parts, but its four bolts a corner, I'm not paying a Lexus tech £££'s of pounds to do a couple of hour job! Even if you had to buy all the tools to do the job, you'd be paying less than Lexus. 

Not for everyone I know, but a non-lexus garage might fit non-Lexus parts. At least I know they are on right and it gave me chance to check the rest of the car out underneath and spot any potential issues. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links