Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I had the two Steering Rods with Ball joints replaced today as the MOT suggested a need, as an advisory.

My Mechanic had not seen a problem but I assumed he may have missed it.  Not really felt any wandering in the Steering but did have some concern for some inexplicable reason.

Imported parts from Rock Auto and the job was done. However, Rods removed have absolutely no play in them that I can feel.  Not as tight as new but certainly not able to feel movement.  An expense and anxiety for nowt.  Perhaps the Centre was hoping to get a bit of business.  It would have been the last place I'd go and I only went there because a fool at the place I'd booked, told me on timely arrival to come back in half an hour as he muched on his Sandwich chatting to people. When I returned he said I should have left the Car and keys and now couldn't do the MOT for ten days.  He didn't ask for the keys.  What a  Plonker or is it me?  No point in having a go unless I wanted to guarantee a "fail" next time!    Doh!

• Sad 1

Not good and sorry to hear your tale of woe .......... 

.... you can hang on to the old and serviceable bits if indeed you keep the car another 150k miles to actually need them :whistling:

the MOT

A reason why my indy always takes my car to his local MOT station of choice where he can be with, and chat through the whole of the MOT Tester's thoughts and observations in situ ...  and remedy immediately if it's a simple fix, or take away and fully understand the issues to be resolved when returning for the MOT revisit in the timescale allowed ..........  this also allows him leeway to understand what, if any,  Advisories might be forthcoming to address for the " next year " MOT

OK yes, I pay thru' the nose for this attention .........  full MOT price of £55 :thumbsup:    BUT it gets done and dusted and with full confidence that this really is the cheapest and most efficient way thru' the annual MOT ..........  at the time of the annual service too of course .......... and always an ok bill to pay ..... if ever there could be an ok bill of any sort to pay that is :wink3:

Malc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IIRC You can appeal any MOT decision not just a failure but also any advisories but you then have to leave the car untouched until an inspection is carried out. It sounds like your mechanic didn’t miss them but found them completely serviceable hence no previous mention.

I also assume your mechanic did not check the condition of the advisory parts again before removal and just replaced them as requested.

I’ve mentioned this before but when I took my Celsior for it’s first MOT under my ownership I took it to a multi business local place who also did repairs and servicing. Advisories were scored brake discs and cracking flexible brake hoses. After that test it has always been taken to the same small independent garage just down the road. Another 14 MOT tests with the exact same discs and flexible hoses still fitted and not a mention of either on the certificate since.

Yes certainly irritating but there’s no going back now, Halfrauds or Kwik Fit for the MOT by any chance?

• Like 2

Last year I took my car for mot as usual, anyway one of the advisories was play in steering rack joints aswell as rear upper arms, so bought brand new rear arms, mechanic fitted them and said there was nothing wrong with the old ones, but I still got them replaced, he also said theres no play in the steering rack joints so I didnt buy any. Took the car for mot 2 weeks ago at the same place, and not a mention of play in the steering rack joints, but then said, one of the side light bulbs isnt working, so he failed it, went into the car in front of him and switched the lights on and low behold it was working, they were new bulbs I'd put in last year, then he said theres slight play in passenger rear wheel, could be bearing, but it's not making any noise and car drives proper silent.

• Sad 2

This I find really irritating. I wasn’t aware that my car had failed an mot until I checked the gov website. The dealer obviously fixed it but didn’t mention it to me. Why fail it then fix it and then pass it? 

4CB19551-0C26-4D34-AB93-C76497B680A8.png

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I also assume your mechanic did not check the condition of the advisory parts again before removal and just replaced them as requested.

Yes certainly irritating but there’s no going back now, Halfrauds or Kwik Fit for the MOT by any chance?

Yes, I gave him instruction to replace irrespective and let me have the originals.  I may try to sell them as they are good and someone may want a cheap pair with plenty of life in them.  . 

I also had him replace the lower ball joints once again just to satisfy my fear of a crisis fail, even though they also were in good order, apparantly. 

No not a Major player but a rather shoddy place which was the only one that wasn't pre booked up to the 20th.  My MOT would have expired by then. Won't go there again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

This I find really irritating. I wasn’t aware that my car had failed an mot until I checked the gov website. The dealer obviously fixed it but didn’t mention it to me. Why fail it then fix it and then pass it? 

He added Air and didn't charge? but an extra charge to "pass" it from a fail.  From memory £7 ??

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:17 PM, Ala Larj said:

I believe they are required to do it like that. This is why most MOT places offer a free retest 
within X days after a failure because they are legally required to mark any failures as they find
them.

Also he might not of done MOT onsite, so he took it to an MOT centre where it failed, had to take
it back to the dealership or tyre-place to repair and then took it back to the MOT place.

I'd be more concerned about the charge than the fact he didn't tell you given how minor an issue it is.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links