Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

Well, my first post on this particular board and here goes! Today, I'll be moaning about:

Cars driving during darkness with the rear lights switched off. There are many around here. I can't believe that people are so stupid that they don't realise this, so my blame theory is that these drivers are just too thick / lazy to check if the side lights are on at least, or they think that 'if the front drl's are on, then the rear tail lights must be on', or like my car when the engine is started, the instrument lights come on, so seeing this they assume that the external lights magically come on at the same time. 

Now if the latter is the case, then the manufacturer has a responsibility and duty of care to include some sort of warning to alert the driver that the lights are in fact off, during darkness. 

Maybe these numpties are also completely unaware that their car also has an Auto lights setting. I'd go step further and guess that these are the same drivers who hate cars and hate driving. 

Rant over. Discuss. 

(I'm a nice person really and I shouldn't allow such things to wind me up.) 😉

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

Well, my first post on this particular board and here goes! Today, I'll be moaning about:

Cars driving during darkness with the rear lights switched off. There are many around here. I can't believe that people are so stupid that they don't realise this, so my blame theory is that these drivers are just too thick / lazy to check if the side lights are on at least, or they think that 'if the front drl's are on, then the rear tail lights must be on', or like my car when the engine is started, the instrument lights come on, so seeing this they assume that the external lights magically come on at the same time. 

Now if the latter is the case, then the manufacturer has a responsibility and duty of care to include some sort of warning to alert the driver that the lights are in fact off, during darkness. 

Maybe these numpties are also completely unaware that their car also has an Auto lights setting. I'd go step further and guess that these are the same drivers who hate cars and hate driving. 

Rant over. Discuss. 

That’s a fully valid moan! When I was growing up, Volvo cars had their sidelights illuminated when the engine was on, but also the rear light lamps. For the life of me I don’t understand why DRLs don’t include the rear lamps as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NeilS said:

Rant over. Discuss. 

I was behind someone the other night without their lights on and doing around 25 in a 40. I of course gave repeated flashes to try to alert the buffoon that they had no lights on but to no avail. Given the speed and lack of concentration, I did wonder whether Katie Price had borrowed a friend's Fiesta to get home from the pub.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Serious topic this. Automatic lights DONT work as they do not recognize fog.  Daytime running lights are only at the front for reasons beyond me so nothing at the back. In foggy conditions nothing happens so no ligths at the back. Beats me how this is legal. I always have my lights on dont use the auto setting

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Serious topic this. Automatic lights DONT work as they do not recognize fog.  Daytime running lights are only at the front for reasons beyond me so nothing at the back. In foggy conditions nothing happens so no ligths at the back. Beats me how this is legal. I always have my lights on dont use the auto setting

Research the history of DRL`s and Volvo and all will be revealed Bernard.

19 hours ago, NeilS said:

Rant over. Discuss. 

A perfectly valid moan in my opinion. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mincey said:

I was behind someone the other night without their lights on and doing around 25 in a 40. I of course gave repeated flashes to try to alert the buffoon that they had no lights on but to no avail. Given the speed and lack of concentration, I did wonder whether Katie Price had borrowed a friend's Fiesta to get home from the pub.

If said Fiesta was upside down then yes it probably was Katie Price!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Serious topic this. Automatic lights DONT work as they do not recognize fog.  

I'll second that. Many moons ago, I had a commute from Thetford to Peterborough and could either go down the A1 and along the A14 or go cross-country. The cross country route was shorter but took a little longer, but was less stressful as it avoided Cambridge. Anyway, I digress. One morning I was pootling along the back roads between Upwell and Downham Market when some fog came down. I was thinking what an utter bunch of clots the drivers coming the other way were, not having their lights on in such dismal conditions, when I realised that I too, was a clot. I moved the light switch from Auto to On and felt rather righteous.

• Like 1

I wish to moan about work-based self-improvement courses. I'm supposed to be on a "Managing Workplace Stress" course now. I'm far too busy - I've got reports to write, and they won't write themselves you know! Deadlines are deadlines and I can't waste my valuable time taking part in such wastes of time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

I wish to moan about work-based self-improvement courses. I'm supposed to be on a "Managing Workplace Stress" course now. I'm far too busy - I've got reports to write, and they won't write themselves you know! Deadlines are deadlines and I can't waste my valuable time taking part in such wastes of time.

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.”
–Socrates

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Phil xxkr said:

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.”
–Socrates

Wise words!

People walking around with coffee cups 🤯. Are they trying to give the impression they are far too busy to smell the coffee? Took my dog for a walk in my local forest only to see a chap walking around cup in hand, just what is all that about? 🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

People walking around with coffee cups 🤯. Are they trying to give the impression they are far too busy to smell the coffee? Took my dog for a walk in my local forest only to see a chap walking around cup in hand, just what is all that about? 🤔

I think it's a 'scene' thing. (scene = hip/cool/trendy etc) For example, 10 years ago it was considered cool to carry a bottle of water around when you were out. In the 50s, 60s & 70s it was cool to smoke a fag in public, and so on.

Nowadays, as you have recently witnessed, you need a memory like a New York lawyer to even decide which variant of the simple cup of coffee you wish to buy. 

I too, share your mild frustration. 🤨

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I think it's a 'scene' thing. (scene = hip/cool/trendy etc) For example, 10 years ago it was considered cool to carry a bottle of water around when you were out. In the 50s, 60s & 70s it was cool to smoke a fag in public, and so on.

Nowadays, as you have recently witnessed, you need a memory like a New York lawyer to even decide which variant of the simple cup of coffee you wish to buy. 

I too, share your mild frustration. 🤨

I recall being able to thrash a fag but never smoking one unless you are referring to the fireplace episode in Tom Brown's schooldays? 😂. Ah, "mild frustration" what a wonderful euphemism, most commonly experienced when trying to open a tin of anchovies after the key has broken off 👹

40 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I recall being able to thrash a fag but never smoking one unless you are referring to the fireplace episode in Tom Brown's schooldays? 😂. Ah, "mild frustration" what a wonderful euphemism, most commonly experienced when trying to open a tin of anchovies after the key has broken off 👹

Buy them in a screw capped bottle Sir !

40 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Buy them in  a screw capped bottle Sir 

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Buy them in  a screw capped bottle Sir 

Not the point John 😊. Had I bought them in a jar (never seen them in a bottle) then I wouldn't have experienced "mild frustration" and therefore no moaning minny. However it would have slithered, quite well, into a new topic - Things in life you never say no to 😊

• Haha 1

I’ve moaned about the Americanisation of our language before, but stumbled across a discussion on radio last night which has reinvigorated my anger!

The debate was about COVID restrictions. The contributors repeatedly used the phrase ‘STAY HOME’ and it reminded me that’s the slogan that the U.K. Government used during the first period of lockdown.

What would have been wrong with the correct British English (i.e. English!) phrase ‘STAY AT HOME’ - after all, last time I checked we don’t live in America!

This is a slippery slope. I’d love to know why that American style phrase was used rather than the correct English version?

• Like 1

My moan today is the absence of consistent data to allow me to adequately determine the risk of COVID-19. The media likes to sensationalise everything and report snippets that suit their own agendas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

My moan today is the absence of consistent data to allow me to adequately determine the risk of COVID-19. The media likes to sensationalise everything and report snippets that suit their own agendas.

I stopped looking/reading /watching 2 years ago Paul and it's not made a blind bit of difference. 🙈🙉🙊

23 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’ve moaned about the Americanisation of our language before, but stumbled across a discussion on radio last night which has reinvigorated my anger!

The debate was about COVID restrictions. The contributors repeatedly used the phrase ‘STAY HOME’ and it reminded me that’s the slogan that the U.K. Government used during the first period of lockdown.

What would have been wrong with the correct British English (i.e. English!) phrase ‘STAY AT HOME’ - after all, last time I checked we don’t live in America!

This is a slippery slope. I’d love to know why that American style phrase was used rather than the correct English version?

Been going that way since 1776 😎

May I moan about the Youth of Today and their inability to drag themselves away from their mobile phones? Betsy and I went over to Sainsburys yesterday and I lost count of the number of young people walking along in a daze, glued to their phone's screen instead of looking where they were going. I began to play a game - how close can you get to them before they realise that someone is on a collision course. With a loaded trolley, this is a very enjoyable game indeed I can tell you! Just give a little cough when the gap closes to about a foot (that's approx 30cms for our younger readers) and see the look of panic and terror on their faces when they look up to see a weekly shop bearing down on them.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links