Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Betsy does Science!

Mincey

Have any of you ever thought "hmm, that de-icer stuff is rather pricey, isn't it?" Well by lucky coincidence that is exactly the same thought which I had recently. Could I make my own de-icer for less than Sainsburys charge? This was a question which needed answering, make no mistake.

I found a recipe on the Internet. Two parts rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit I believe) to one part water. So simple - would it work? My interest was well and truly piqued. I headed to my favourite online store and ordered some stuff:

- Some rubbing alcohol (one litre): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087M5397Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Some spray bottles (two off): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DHYZW93/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total cost so far for 1.5 litres of home-made de-icer (excluding water costs): £16.00 (includes a spare bottle - more on this later).

All I needed now was for the temperature to drop. 

Today, the temperature dropped. If only I had a willing glamourous assistant. Enter stage left, Betsy:

936323210_2021-12-2209_35_28.thumb.jpg.c0bd1c69ab6f392cb11b15e68d3c29db.jpg

She looks rather cold, doesn't she? All together now "Yes Mincey, she does!".

Armed with the £3.00 spray bottle filled to the 500ml mark with my concoction, I gingerly aimed a few squirts at the frost on Betsy's windscreen. Would it crack? Would it melt? Would any overspray tarnish or remove her Azure Blue coat? You're nervous - how do you think I was feeling? I felt compelled to record it on video for posterity:

As you can see in the video, it works rather well indeed. I was impressed, as was the postman who happened to be delivering letters at the time. "I'm impressed!" he said.

Here's the almost finished windscreen. It was cold and as I had proved that my home-brewed alternative worked, I felt it a waste of a valuable commodity to continue and clear the rest of the glass:

1541964671_2021-12-2209_40_33.thumb.jpg.9a3b3d389c4d5e4ebd9777d07e04c948.jpg 

I think you will all agree that this was an experiment worth performing. Sainsbury's charge £3.50 for 500ml of de-icer. From this first batch, I can make 1.5 litres for £13.00 as opposed to £10.50 for the equivalent from Sainsburys. Once this batch has gone, my next batch will be 16p a bottle cheaper as I will not need to buy a bottle, and I will have the added satisfaction of knowing what has gone into it. I do hope I've done my sums right however.

If you're all good, I may share my recipe for home made glass cleaner, which is in the second bottle, over the Christmas break. I'll bet you're already excited at the prospect of this, aren't you? "Yes Mincey, we are!"

• Like 3

Just one warning with isopropanol. Wipe it away before it reaches rubber. Not all types of rubber will deteriorate, some will though and rather badly. Think window seals and wiper blades. Also our wiper blades have their own heater lines in the windshield, on screen only, not linked to front defogger physical button.

One last, cheaper source and lab grade https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hexeal-LITRE-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol/dp/B082XQ4W4R/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3387WL6RIZOG2&keywords=isopropyl+alcohol+99.9&qid=1640182968&sprefix=iso%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You're welcome. Once or twice will have negligible effect. I wouldn't stop using iso, excellent glass cleaner/degreaser, I use it at 70% to clean camera lenses. I would just keep it away from rubber.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

Looks like you have a great concoction there, but as I am lucky enough to have a garage & only use de-icer now & again I think I will stick with the Halfords stuff.😀

I do admire your efforts though, very enterprising.👍

I'd love to get her into the garage, but it's a 1970's design and I don't think I'd get her in. If I could, I wouldn't be able to get out!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

I'd love to get her into the garage, but it's a 1970's design and I don't think I'd get her in. If I could, I wouldn't be able to get out!

Looking for a house, and it's frustrating how small the garages can be, even on new builds. Did a measurement, you'd need a minimum of 3m width to get out of the car, just the driver mind you, with some dignity, ideally 3.25m. Then there's the question of length. I feel your pain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, peniole said:

Looking for a house, and it's frustrating how small the garages can be, even on new builds. Did a measurement, you'd need a minimum of 3m width to get out of the car, just the driver mind you, with some dignity, ideally 3.25m. Then there's the question of length. I feel your pain.

I am still misjudging Betsy's umm.. length when parking. She's a big girl!

• Haha 1

Mate get a life. Betsy is a car, not a dog. It does not understand your ramblings. De - icer is inexpensive. You really do not have to make your own, as you have just bought such an expensive car. Should have gone for the Premium. Front screen defrost as standard. Merry Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, cdmaskell said:

Mate get a life. Betsy is a car, not a dog. It does not understand your ramblings. De - icer is inexpensive. You really do not have to make your own, as you have just bought such an expensive car. Should have gone for the Premium. Front screen defrost as standard. Merry Christmas.

The front screen defrost - do you mean this?

590021327_2021-12-2510_39_17.thumb.jpg.4298b10a40e6f1a2a297ce2176f0f527.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links