Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Link App with UX300e showing wrong charging info

Hi Folks. I posted this on another forum, but not had any replies so far.

Anyone who has a UX300e (there has to be SOMEONE! 😆 ) that uses the Lexus Link app, is your Battery status and climate screens working, and updating as expected? About 5 weeks ago, mine started to think it was in 2023, and not updating the charging status. The Climate screen was also not working, but the app would turn the climate on and off remotely, just not show it.

Now, since about 5 days ago, the climate screen has also gone berserk, and between using the car on the 23rd to this morning the 26th, the 12v Battery has gone completely flat - I think it's trying to continuously communicate with the car, which is what's draining the Battery.

I've been in contact with MyLexus and all they keep saying they'll look into it. They did get back to me about two weeks ago, and said that they found a problem in the date database, and then it all started working for a few days, now it's gone berserk again, and of course it's Christmas so I'll have to wait.

During all this time, the driving data, last trip, mileage etc all work perfectly.

I was just concerned that maybe something in the car has gone wrong, or if it's an app issue, so it would be useful to be able to tell them if anyone else is experiencing this, which would point to an app problem, or if it's just me, which would point to a car problem. In every other way, the car is working 100%.

Thanks.

IMG_6559.PNG

IMG_6560.PNG

Hi Mark

I also own a UXe and I have noticed a tendency for the 12v Battery to drain, not super-quickly or anything that would indicate a fault, but I can't leave it for more than a week without the 12v Battery getting too low on charge to "boot up" the car and let it start the EV System powertrain, enable the electronic parking break etc. and get the car ready to drive. That's from a fully-charged 12v Battery. If it's low on charge, I can find after three days or maybe even less, there's not enough charge in the 12v batter to bootstrap the car into "READY" mode.  

Having had to call the AA out (before getting a trickle charger and a Li ion starter, just to get me out of trouble!) for this reason, I was advised -- and I checked this out myself -- that to save weight, the 12v Battery is as small as they could get away with. Which means that it doesn't have the biggest charge in the world. So there's very little margin for anything that drains the 12v Battery in the background.

I've a hunch that I have (through no fault of our own!) contributed to the basic design issue by enabling Lexus Connected Services on my UXe. Have you also done this? If so, it maty well be a place to start. When you enable Connected Services -- which you also have to enable both Bluetooth and Wifi connectivity -- you in effect (and the implications of this aren't really spelt out in the manuals, which are aimed at the layperson) give the car permission to, periodically, switch on the wireless transmitters on the Wifi and Bluetooth systems, plus the GPS receiver and then scan and "handshake" (as we say in IT!) for any in-range networks. It doesn't say in the documentation exactly how often it does so, but from what I've observed, it seems to be every few hours or so. 

Now, normally, this wouldn't cause any issues if the car was driven for, say, half an hour every day. Then, the 12v Battery would get recharged enough to give it sufficient charge for the next day (or so's) network scanning and GPS activations as part of the Connected Services background data transfer and updating tasks. But if the 12v Battery is already fairly depleted, say through only a couple of short journeys being done and the 12v Battery not getting properly topped-up, then just a day's lack of use -- coupled with the small size and the Connected Services waking itself up every so often and sending out "are there any networks in range?" packets and "where am I?" GPS checks -- means I get exactly the same problems you've had. I have to either trickle-charge the 12v Battery (if I'm not in a hurry) or use the starter power pack. 

So, first off, have you enabled Connected Services on your UXe? If so, it'll be doing that periodic waking-up of the Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS. If it's in range of your phone or Wifi networks (e.g. in your driveway or garage or whatever device/network you connected your car to), it'll send the charge status, location data etc. If you're happy to live without Connected Services, at least until Lexus UK come back to you with proper technical support advice, it might well be worth giving that a try. You have to delve into the infotainment configuration settings to get it to "forget" any devices or WiFi network(s) you've set it up on. There's also instructions in the FAQs ("How can I deactivate Lexus Link Connected Services?") on the app https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/lexus-link-connected-services/#lexus-link-app-questions which should have the same effect (but it's more robust to remove any networks or devices you've registered or set up on the car's infotainment system itself). 

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any clarifications -- it is rather complicated!

Best wishes, Chris.

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for that detailed reply, I knew someone else must have a UXe! I've taken the trickle charger off for tonight, and will check the Battery voltages again tomorrow and Tuesday, as I don't "need" the car until Wednesday. I will also try deactivating the connected services after that test. It's also now giving me "parking assist unavailable", with both yellow warnings flashing, although I'm hoping that may calibrate itself when I take it for a drive.

Do you use the Lexus Link app? And if so, do you get the correct date and Battery info on yours, and is the climate status page working correctly? I'm hoping that it's to do with this, the car constantly being "pinged" more than usual by Lexus HQ, as I never had this problem until the climate page went berserk, although I did keep checking, and it doesn't actually turn the climate on, or drain the traction Battery, it just says it had half a million or so minutes left to run!

Cheers, Mark.

Hi, yes, things like the parking sensors calibration (Parking Assist) and the Lane Keeping Assist will display initial warning triangles (yellow) for a few miles or so following a complete system shutdown due to low 12v power. Last time it happened, I drove to the supermarket (about 5 minutes or so!), when I started the car up again, everything had recalibrated and the warning triangles disappeared. So that'll be fine.

And yes, I use the Lexus Link app. I think you're onto something there. It should do a final update of date / time / Battery / climate status when the vehicle is parked. That's what I get -- if I leave the car parked unused, the date/time and status info get more and more out-of-date. And if you want a more up-to-date set of info, you click on "wake the car" in the app. This does, to be fair to Lexus, display a warning that frequent "waking" of the car will deplete the Battery. But if you resist the temptation to keep getting new data sent to Lexus' Big Brother, then it shouldn't do anything more, apart from infrequent automatic wake-ups (which should be set to not cause too many problems, but it will eventually discharge the 12v Battery, but not for a week or so). However, if yours has got it's electronic brain scrambled and is stuck in real-time updating mode, it'll be constantly using the WiFi / Bluetooth to send climate unit communications (or something similar). It won't take too many days (maybe not even a day) of that to deplete the 12v Battery. Disabling Lexus Connected Services definitely worth a try than, I reckon. Hopefully Lexis will then be able to say if it needs a trip to the dealer to reset the infotainment to stop it's, erm, over-zealous electronic twittering!

Ok, thanks for all your help it's much appreciated.

From what you're saying then, the data in your app is working ok, and it's not showing a crazy date 2 years into the future, like mine is doing at the moment, on both the charging and climate screens? When I try to update, I used to get that warning of not doing it too often, but now it doesn't say that at all. (See screenshots on original post). If yours is ok, that suggests a problem specific to my car rather than an app issue in general. Thing is, the GPS, mileage and last trip map all report correctly moments after the car has been shut down, it's just the charging and now climate that's up the spout.

Regards, Mark.

That's ok and yes, I don't see those odd screen shots so it looks as if there is something causing erroneous data. So a temporary fix could be to disable  connected services. That way, if odd data is being generated all the time, it will never 'wake up' the car. Fingers crossed you get your issue sorted ASAP and I hope Lexus provide a permanent solution. Despite this issue, I also hope you're enjoying your UXe. It's my first Lexus and overall, I'm very pleased with it.

Regards, Chris

Ok, thankyou for that, it gives me something to send to the multimedia team that are supposed to be looking into this, as well as to the dealer I'll speak to on Wednesday.

Glad you're liking your UXe, as am I. I've had Toyota and Lexus for the last 11 or so years, been the best cars I've had, and this is the first real glitch I've experienced in all this time. The car itself is great, I wish they'd have given it a bit more range, and CCS as opposed to Chademo charging with a bit quicker charge speed, but overall it's a great car.

Thanks, Mark.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys

This is really useful as I think I have the same porblem. My 12v Battery went flat 3 weeks ago (the car is still under a year old) and I had to call out the AA. It has just gone flat again now even though I have done at least one long journey a week. My lexus link app was partly working but the Battery charge was stuck on 64%. I mentioned this  to Lexus on Tuesday when I had the car serviced and they said still was a fault with the app. I have now deleted the app but will the car still try and search for info, networks etc or is this all driven from thee app?

Elaine

8 minutes ago, Elaine S said:

<snip> I had the car serviced and they said still was a fault with the app.<snip>

Hi. No, it's not the app, it's a module in the car that needs resetting. It took them ages to find the cure back and forth to the EU HQ, but they finally took it in, did some trickery and 30 mins later, it was ok again, and has been fine ever since.

Go back to your local dealer, and if they still deny it's a car problem, tell them to speak to the tech guys at Lexus Hull who sorted mine.

In the mean time, if you go to the app and turn off connected services, that stopped my Battery from going flat while it was being looked into.

Thanks.

Ive just disconnected Lexus services.

I think you do need disconnect it before uninstalling the app otherwise itll still technically be on

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

I think you do need disconnect it before uninstalling the app otherwise itll still technically be on

Yes, disconnect it in the app, but you don't need to delete the app entirely. That will stop it from sending update requests to the car, which is what causes the Battery to go flat.

Is the small 'Starting battery' issue just on the 300e or the 200H as well.

The reason I ask is I am waiting for delivery of my UXH but my current car a Kia Niro hybrid has a '12V battery' button. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago after not using the car for a while (lockdown) when I came to start it nothing worked, consulting manual it said press 12V Battery button, I assume the 12V Battery is charged from the traction batteries.

Is there not a similar feature on the Lexus.

Bill D.

18 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

Is the small 'Starting battery' issue just on the 300e or the 200H as well.

The reason I ask is I am waiting for delivery of my UXH but my current car a Kia Niro hybrid has a '12V battery' button. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago after not using the car for a while (lockdown) when I came to start it nothing worked, consulting manual it said press 12V battery button, I assume the 12V battery is charged from the traction batteries.

Is there not a similar feature on the Lexus.

Bill D.

I'm not sure about any effect on other Lexus models, you'd need to ask owners of those if they've had any issues. As for the Kia's, I have seen a vid on YT about a similar issue causing the 12v Battery to drain, but it was a different cause.

The 12v is charged from the traction Battery when the car is powered up, or plugged in to charge. It's not topped up when the vehicle is off, which I find a little annoying, as it would make sense for the car to detect if the 12v Battery is low, and give it a top up once in a while automatically.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Mark_H said:

Yes, disconnect it in the app, but you don't need to delete the app entirely. That will stop it from sending update requests to the car, which is what causes the battery to go flat.

I meant for those that haven't disconnected the connected services but deleted the app instead without disconnecting anything 

On 6/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, rayaans said:

Hold on, so Lexus made an EV that cannot remain connected to a central server without the 12V Battery been drained even though the traction Battery is huge??!!!

I only just had to replace the 12V Battery in our Tesla at 4.5 years old, and the Tesla is literally 'online' 24/7. Even than the car told me it was essentially constantly charging the 12V from the traction Battery automatically to avoid any none staring issues, so gave me plenty of time to get the replacement done.

Lexus/Toyota better make some serious investments in software teams if this is the current level of software development!

9 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Hold on, so Lexus made an EV that cannot remain connected to a central server without the 12V battery been drained even though the traction battery is huge??!!!

I only just had to replace the 12V battery in our Tesla at 4.5 years old, and the Tesla is literally 'online' 24/7. Even than the car told me it was essentially constantly charging the 12V from the traction battery automatically to avoid any none staring issues, so gave me plenty of time to get the replacement done.

Lexus/Toyota better make some serious investments in software teams if this is the current level of software development!

Not exactly

It was working fine for 8 months and the app updated. This caused it to keep draining the Battery if left undriven for 2 days or more. 

Theres a software fix for this but ill get it done on the next service as I dont use connected services much anyway.

• 5 months later...

Having read these posts about problems with the 12 volt Battery on some member's UX300e's.

Do any members with UX300e's still get problems at times, with their 12 volt Battery needing charging...

I have had several electric cars and have never had any problems with their 12 volt batteries... Or using the Apps for the cars... Apart from the Honda e...! 

Can you use the Lexus Link for the UX300e without it causing problems...?

1 hour ago, Kevin Williams said:

Do any members with UX300e's still get problems at times, with their 12 volt battery needing charging...

There is a TSB issued to fix this problem, so provided the vehicle has had the update there shouldn't be ongoing issues for normal use of the Lexus Link app whilst the vehicle isn't in use.

How long you can leave the vehicle is similar to a Lexus hybrid; the vehicle needs to be driven enough to recharge it. What the 300e doesn't do is wake up automatically and charge the 12v aux Battery from the traction Battery, unlike some other EVs.

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

There is a TSB issued to fix this problem, so provided the vehicle has had the update there shouldn't be ongoing issues for normal use of the Lexus Link app whilst the vehicle isn't in use.

How long you can leave the vehicle is similar to a Lexus hybrid; the vehicle needs to be driven enough to recharge it. What the 300e doesn't do is wake up automatically and charge the 12v aux battery from the traction battery, unless some other EVs.

Thanks Colin. I am thinking of buying a UX300e from a Lexus Dealer, so I can check it has the update...

Needs to be driven enough to recharge it... I often don't use my cars for a couple of weeks... Another reason I like electric cars...

Will the 12 volt Battery need charging if it's not driven for a few weeks...? I also drive only a few miles when I go out because of my helicopter accident...

I have a VW Caddy WAV for taking my wife out... who uses a wheelchair...

I am having second thoughts about buying a UX300e...

If the 12 volt aux Battery might need charging at times... I will unfortunately have to buy a different electric vehicle...

Reading your post... I don't think its a suitable vehicle for me...??? 

8 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

Reading your post... I don't think its a suitable vehicle for me...??? 

You may run into issues. It may well be fine for the first couple of weeks you leave it, but then if your drive doesn't fully charge it back up then the second or third time you leave it for a couple of weeks it will get to the point where it is discharged (or at least damaging the Battery for being left in a low state of charge).

I only work around I can think of would be to use the Lexus Link app to turn on the climate system once or twice a week as that would wake the car and (I presume) charge the 12 v Battery - this theory would need to be tested/checked as I don't have the info myself to confirm.

On 11/10/2022 at 6:15 PM, ColinBarber said:

I only work around I can think of would be to use the Lexus Link app to turn on the climate system once or twice a week as that would wake the car and (I presume) charge the 12 v battery - this theory would need to be tested/checked as I don't have the info myself to confirm.

Isn't this a bit ridiculous you have to even suggest this on a brand new EV that cost £40k+ to buy. Why would you buy an EV from a manufacture that cannot seem to get the basic of EV power management correct?

There are plenty of other EV around. Lexus needs to get their act together on EVs if they want to stay viable as a car manufacture as 2030 isn't that far away!

On 11/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, ganzoom said:

Isn't this a bit ridiculous you have to even suggest this on a brand new EV that cost £40k+ to buy. Why would you buy an EV from a manufacture that cannot seem to get the basic of EV power management correct?

Possibly but Lexus would assume the vehicle will be driven, not to be parked up and only very occasionally driven - same with the hybrids.

Cannot comment on all other EVs - I know some will use their traction Battery to charge up the 12 v Battery, including your Tesla, but I suspect there will be others in the same situation as the 300e and part of the problem is it isn't a ground-up designed EV, it is a converted ICE/hybrid vehicle.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 4:25 PM, ColinBarber said:

Possibly but Lexus would assume the vehicle will be driven, not to be parked up and only very occasionally driven - same with the hybrids.

Cannot comment on all other EVs - I know some will use their traction battery to charge up the 12 v battery, including your Tesla, but I suspect there will be others in the same situation as the 300e and part of the problem is it isn't a ground-up designed EV, it is a converted ICE/hybrid vehicle.

Colin, I communicated with the Lexus Dealer I bought my LC500 Convertible from. They also have my order for an RZ. I thought you would be interested in our communication… 

My email…

Can you and your service manager please read these Topics… 

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/136017-ux300e-b-mode%E2%80%A6/

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/131491-lexus-link-app-with-ux300e-showing-wrong-charging-info/

I am at sixes and sevens regarding buying a UX300e… ALL the other electric cars that I have had. I never had problems with their 12v aux batteries… 

Have you, or any of your colleagues, ever had to trickle charge the 12v Aux Battery on a UX300e…?

Please give me an honest answer… 

Regards

Kevin 

Their reply…

As for the 12V Battery, I honestly have not heard of any real issues regarding these in the UX300e or any of our cars for that matter. But I do also think it will come down to usage. If you don’t use the car most days then, like any car, you run the risk of letting the Battery go flat. If your intentions are to run the car most days, then I don’t see it being any issue at all.  

I hope this honesty helps you in your decision-making process.  

Regards

• Like 2

A standard generic reply, but to claim to not have heard of issues with any of their cars is a stretch as this forum was littered with people having 12v Battery issues over Covid lockdowns which affects the hybrid vehicles more because they are fitted with smaller 12 v batteries than conventional vehicles. But the fact is the cars weren't being used as Lexus designed them.

I do believe they haven't seen any 300e issues. There are only approx. 300 in the country so they have probably only seen a handful and if you were to purchase a new, expensive, vehicle then I'd assume it was going to be used a least a few times a week. But it has a small Battery like the normal hybrids so isn't going to cope with long periods of no use combined with only short runs when it is being used.

• Like 2

I can’t recall ever seeing a lead acid Battery powered milk float ever broken down due to flat batteries.

Simple technology with batteries strapped together a DC traction motor and a speed controller.

The milk also came in recyclable bottles delivered and collected from your doorstep.

30 odd years later how technology has moved on.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links