Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

tires

15 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Tyres dear boy tyres

"Tire" was the usual spelling both in Britain and America in the 19th century and earlier. This was when the only tires were the metal tires on farm wagon and carriage wheels. Then about the time Dunlop invented the pneumatic rubber tire for the recently invented bicycle, it seems as if the spelling "tyre" appeared around the 1880s, probably as some kind of marketing gimmick in advertisements. It caught on in Britain and became the standard British spelling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

"Tire" was the usual spelling both in Britain and America in the 19th century and earlier. Then about the time Dunlop invented the pneumatic rubber tire, it seems as if the spelling "tyre" appeared around the 1880s, probably as some kind of marketing gimmick in advertisements. It caught on in Britain and became the standard British spelling.

I didn't know this but was always not sure what is the right spelling! Good to know! Thanks

Insurance will not pay if you change the tyre sizes and have an accident.

Mine has  225/40R18 front  255/35R18 rear

Incidentally, exactly the same as the IsF. ( As is the gearbox ).

I cannot see any tyre manufacturers recommending a different size.

7 minutes ago, GMB said:

Insurance will not pay if you change the tyre sizes and have an accident.

Mine has  225/40R18 front  255/35R18 rear

Incidentally, exactly the same as the IsF. ( As is the gearbox ).

I cannot see any tyre manufacturers recommending a different size.

My bad.. your right its 40 front and 35 rear

7 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

My bad.. your right its 40 front and 35 rear

Thank you.

I just had the whole set replaced at a cost of £640 - Michelin Pilot SS TPC.

The fitters put one tyre on the wrong way ( asymmetric )  MOT failure BTW, Damaged two brake calipers, lost a metal dustcap and then while shoving a pastie into his cakehole moaned at me for complaining.

Take care where you go for tyres. At least they didn't snap a wheelstud like the last lot did.

56 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I didn't know this but was always not sure what is the right spelling! Good to know! Thanks

Not so fast 🤔

Tire

late 15c., "iron plates forming a rim of a carriage wheel," probably from tire "equipment, dress, covering" (c. 1300), a shortened form of attire (n.). The notion is of the tire as the dressing of the wheel. The original spelling was tyre, which had shifted to tire in 17c.-18c., but since early 19c. tyre has been revived in Great Britain and become standard there. Rubber ones, for bicycles (later automobiles) are from 1877. A tire-iron originally was one of the iron plates; as a device for separating a tire from a wheel, by 1909.😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GMB said:

Thank you.

I just had the whole set replaced at a cost of £640 - Michelin Pilot SS TPC.

The fitters put one tyre on the wrong way ( asymmetric )  MOT failure BTW, Damaged two brake calipers, lost a metal dustcap and then while shoving a pastie into his cakehole moaned at me for complaining.

Take care where you go for tyres. At least they didn't snap a wheelstud like the last lot did.

Perhaps you should name these two companies, Graham?  Might be useful local knowledge for other car owners.

The one event that might have been of some benefit is losing the metal dust cap.  Lexus caps are now plastic because metal ones can corrode on to the tyre valve unless heavily greased.  Attempts to remove the cap can result in breaking the valve, which is an expensive event if it’s a TPMS valve.

I speak from sad experience!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Not so fast 🤔

Tire

late 15c., "iron plates forming a rim of a carriage wheel," probably from tire "equipment, dress, covering" (c. 1300), a shortened form of attire (n.). The notion is of the tire as the dressing of the wheel. The original spelling was tyre, which had shifted to tire in 17c.-18c., but since early 19c. tyre has been revived in Great Britain and become standard there. Rubber ones, for bicycles (later automobiles) are from 1877. A tire-iron originally was one of the iron plates; as a device for separating a tire from a wheel, by 1909.😎

That sounds reasonable and it may come from more recent research. (What's the source?)

I'm afraid I was just spouting from my memory of what the 1933 Oxford Dictionary says. I've now looked it up and just to compare, here's what it says: "From 15th to 17th century spelt tire and tyre indifferently. Before 1700 tyre became generally obsolete and tire remained as the regular form, as it still does in America; but in Great Britain tyre has been recently revived as the popular term for the rubber rim of bicycle, tricycle, carriage and motor-car wheels, and is sometimes used for the steel tires of locomotive wheels."

19 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

That sounds reasonable and it may come from more recent research. (What's the source?)

I'm afraid I was just spouting from my memory of what the 1933 Oxford Dictionary says. I've now looked it up and just to compare, here's what it says: "From 15th to 17th century spelt tire and tyre indifferently. Before 1700 tyre became generally obsolete and tire remained as the regular form, as it still does in America; but in Great Britain tyre has been recently revived as the popular term for the rubber rim of bicycle, tricycle, carriage and motor-car wheels, and is sometimes used for the steel tires of locomotive wheels."

Online etymological source 👍

2 minutes ago, K900 said:

While on the subject has anyone come up with better settings than the official ones to help with wear on the inside of rear tyres?

My 2013 f sport

IMG-20220219-WA0005.jpg

This is more to do with the camber settings and adjusting tyre pressure will have negligible effect.

IIRC this is a characteristic of the model, certainly is on my RC. Have you had the suspension geometry checked?

19 minutes ago, K900 said:

While on the subject has anyone come up with better settings than the official ones to help with wear on the inside of rear tyres?

My 2013 f sport

IMG-20220219-WA0005.jpg

It doesn't actually look that bad (I mean in the sense of uneven wear). This is very common on IS and RC, but as well generally on RWD cars (BMW and MB have similar issues). In short one could expect the inner edge on the tyre to wear more, it could easily be 5mm on the edge, when the rest of the tyre is 7mm. Looking at your entire tyre is is quite clear it is not long for this world, so if the rest of your tyre is 3mm, then your edge is likely to be bald. 

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

This is more to do with the camber settings and adjusting tyre pressure will have negligible effect.

IIRC this is a characteristic of the model, certainly is on my RC. Have you had the suspension geometry checked?

Yes geometry done.

Yes it is camber but with a different toe in setting should help matters I think.

I had a gen1 is200 sport about 12 years ago and wheels in motion had settings on their website to deal with the camber issues on that.

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It doesn't actually look that bad (I mean in the sense of uneven wear). This is very common on IS and RC, but as well generally on RWD cars (BMW and MB have similar issues). In short one could expect the inner edge on the tyre to wear more, it could easily be 5mm on the edge, when the rest of the tyre is 7mm. Looking at your entire tyre is is quite clear it is not long for this world, so if the rest of your tyre is 3mm, then your edge is likely to be bald. 

I didn't spot it myself even though I checked(quick glance 🙄)the tyres as it is not all the way around the tyre....(yet).

It failed the m.o.t. on Friday.

Two tyres ordered and geometry will be done again during the week.

772091817_IMG202202201732392.thumb.jpg.702a7eed2fe6e9e742cec35e51b3de37.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links