Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice for buying an LS460 2009?

Hi all, I'm looking to buy an LS 460 SE 2009 on Monday. It has 90k miles on it, and I'm hoping for a car that will last a good few years. 

I would be very grateful for any pre-purchase advice that people can offer, such as things to look out for or any expensive maintenance work that is expected around this mileage. Thanks! 

14 minutes ago, Haywire23z said:

Hi all, I'm looking to buy an LS 460 SE 2009 on Monday. It has 90k miles on it, and I'm hoping for a car that will last a good few years. 

I would be very grateful for any pre-purchase advice that people can offer, such as things to look out for or any expensive maintenance work that is expected around this mileage. Thanks! 

Buy from a Motor Dealer and have the comfort for the first 6 months of the Sale of Goods Act and subsequent amending legislation, Lewis.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Haywire23z said:

for any pre-purchase advice that people can offer, such as things to look out for

cambelt waterpump etc at 100k miles / 10 years and the radiator pipework contaminating the gearbox  ......   it's all on here

otherwise pretty bullet proof usually

Malc

• Like 1

Hi

1. Check if it has had a radiator replacement - if not get it changed 
  2. If you can get it on a ramp to inspect suspension thats a bonus - its a heavy car and this takes its toll on the suspension - addiotionally check for uneven tyre wear - Check air struts for any fluid leakage or any mention of this on the MOT history
  3. Check drives seat base for sagging
  4. Check inside drivers pillar for excess wear on interior
  5. Check steering is straight when driving and not angled
  6. Check it doesnt have any warning lights
  7. Check air suspension operates correctly - car should rise approx inch and stay level
  8. Check glove box hinges and that it is level when closed
  9. Operate sunroof and check around rim for any rust
  10. Check for any TPMS warnings - these could be costly to replace/code
  11. Check the adaptive cruise control works - there has been some 1/2 reports of water ingress in the sensor
  12. Check the music system works - amplifiers are known to fail - also listen out for blown speakers

hope this helps

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Malc said:

cambelt waterpump etc at 100k miles / 10 years and the radiator pipework contaminating the gearbox  ......   it's all on here

otherwise pretty bullet proof usually

Malc

I believe they are cam chain! I think that’s why they take nearly 10 litres of oil! 

If you want to post up links for any specific cars you are considering please do so, it may be known on the club from a previous owner and gives a chance for members to take a look with you. 😀

9 hours ago, steve2006 said:

If you want to post up links for any specific cars you are considering please do so, it may be known on the club from a previous owner and gives a chance for members to take a look with you. 😀

Hi! Here's one I'm considering:

2009 Silver Lexus LS 460 4.6 V8 SE Auto 4dr for sale for £8,490 in Enfield, Middlesex (autotrader.co.uk)

I wouldn't know what to look for beyond the basic stuff, so I plan to hire a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. 

1 hour ago, Haywire23z said:

Hi! Here's one I'm considering:

2009 Silver Lexus LS 460 4.6 V8 SE Auto 4dr for sale for £8,490 in Enfield, Middlesex (autotrader.co.uk)

I wouldn't know what to look for beyond the basic stuff, so I plan to hire a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. 

I'd want clear evidence that the mot suspension advisories have been taken care of.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I'd want clear evidence that the mot suspension advisories have been taken care of.

Ah I thought someone might say that, I suppose they would be an expensive problem if they haven't been sorted?

Hi Lewis,

Yes OEM parts are expensive here in the UK but there are other sources around 50% cheaper 😀, just checked the MOT history so must have all been done but obviously can’t tell if pattern parts were used.

I can never understand how car dealers present cars in such a state when even a quick hoover would improve things but wonder what happened to the driver’s seat.

Headlights need a good polish but a common problem with plastic lenses.

At least with a dealer you should get a warranty and have enhanced consumer rights should something go wrong.

States full service history so hopefully all Lexus and 3 previous owners.

Good idea taking a mechanic with you or get an AA/RAC vehicle inspection done and make sure it’s HPI check is OK.

They seem to have quite a few Lexus cars for sale and good reviews.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Hi Lewis,

Yes OEM parts are expensive here in the UK but there are other sources around 50% cheaper 😀, just checked the MOT history so must have all been done but obviously can’t tell if pattern parts were used.

I can never understand how car dealers present cars in such a state when even a quick hoover would improve things but wonder what happened to the driver’s seat.

Headlights need a good polish but a common problem with plastic lenses.

At least with a dealer you should get a warranty and have enhanced consumer rights should something go wrong.

States full service history so hopefully all Lexus and 3 previous owners.

Good idea taking a mechanic with you or get an AA/RAC vehicle inspection done and make sure it’s HPI check is OK.

They seem to have quite a few Lexus cars for sale and good reviews.

At least with a dealer you should get a warranty and have enhanced consumer rights should something go wrong.

unless it was from Dudley!😱

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

At least with a dealer you should get a warranty and have enhanced consumer rights should something go wrong.

unless it was from Dudley!😱

Oh yes Phil I forgot about him, don’t buy any Lexus from Dudley Lewis.

Hi Lewis, be aware when you go to see the car that it's an SE variant, not an SE-L, so it doesn't come with a full box of toys - adaptive cruise? LKA?   I'm not saying not to get it because of this, but bear it in mind when you're negotiating - "Ah, it's a lovely car, but there are so many SE-Ls around that maybe I should go and look at one of those" <g>

From the fact that they haven't included full on pictures of the steering wheel, I think they know this.

: o )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scythe said:

Hi Lewis, be aware when you go to see the car that it's an SE variant, not an SE-L, so it doesn't come with a full box of toys - adaptive cruise? LKA?   I'm not saying not to get it because of this, but bear it in mind when you're negotiating - "Ah, it's a lovely car, but there are so many SE-Ls around that maybe I should go and look at one of those" <g>

From the fact that they haven't included full on pictures of the steering wheel, I think they know this.

: o )

Thanks for this, I had a look at some SE-L options and found this one from a private seller: Lexus LS460 SE-L, 85k miles, UK car, Petrol, Auto | eBay

It's 2007, similar mileage and lower price. Might be worth checking that one out too?

No, it isn't for the 460.  The L shows that it has all the kit. The car is just a smidgen over 5m long, the same as a 430.

However, the way that 460s lose in car parks is that they don't have quite the same tight turning circle as the 430s had.

3 hours ago, Haywire23z said:

Thanks for this, I had a look at some SE-L options and found this one from a private seller: Lexus LS460 SE-L, 85k miles, UK car, Petrol, Auto | eBay

It's 2007, similar mileage and lower price. Might be worth checking that one out too?

Hi that’s my car currently for sale on eBay and I have had a number of LS models and this has been a lovely car, message me if you would like to discuss, it would probably be worth viewing to compare with the other car you are looking at. Be aware that used car warranties don’t usually cover parts that have failed due to ware and tear so worth having an independent check over. Anyway happy to chat if you feel useful.

regards Paul

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scythe said:

No, it isn't for the 460.  The L shows that it has all the kit. The car is just a smidgen over 5m long, the same as a 430.

However, the way that 460s lose in car parks is that they don't have quite the same tight turning circle as the 430s had.

The 430 has the most amazing turning circle, better than some small cars I've driven!

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's help, I bought the car and very happy with it. 😄

Which fuel grade would you recommend? Dealer said standard is fine but I'm using premium unless I can confirm that

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links