Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

keyed car repair

elmexicano

Dear all,

Someone keyed my front left door yesterday in Cambridge while I was dining with my family. I have just reported this to the police. Do you think I should claim this from my insurance? Or, it would be cheap to repair?

I have a comprehensive cover, so I guess it could be an insurance claim without affecting my no claims bonus. 

what do you think?

734F88C0-6A2D-45DC-AAB5-86FC8209EDFF.JPG

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, elmexicano said:

Dear all,

Someone keyed my front left door yesterday in Cambridge while I was dining with my family. I have just reported this to the police. Do you think I should claim this from my insurance? Or, it would be cheap to repair?

I have a comprehensive cover, so I guess it could be an insurance claim without affecting my no claims bonus. 

what do you think?

734F88C0-6A2D-45DC-AAB5-86FC8209EDFF.JPG

Do not claim off the insurance unless that is the only choice. Plenty of companies offer a repair service so get a quote. I am sure someone on here will have a recommendation.

There are products that you can use yourself, depends how deep it goes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moleman said:

Do not claim off the insurance unless that is the only choice. Plenty of companies offer a repair service so get a quote. I am sure someone on here will have a recommendation.

There are products that you can use yourself, depends how deep it goes.

I agree with Maurice.

If you claim off insurance you will more than likely pay an increased premium (notwithstanding your retention of your NCB ) for the next 5 years.

It is an easy job for a good local outfit. Google for several and pay attention to their reviews.

• Like 3

A polisher should get most of that out or atleast make it less visible. 

Cant imagine it costing more than £300 to sort out which would probably be much cheaper than going through insurance depending on excess and ongoing costs of a claim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elmexicano said:

what do you think?

I think what scum.

I agree go for an independent repairer rather than insurance, hope you get it sorted ok.

Depending if you're a dab hand with a polisher or not.  

Personally i would get a paint touch up pen (Colour matched) and fill in the scratch. Build up a few layers of paint until it's just above the untouched paint surface.  

Then wet sand with 2500grit flush. You will get a bit of haze around the area but don't worry. Just be gentle and i mean barely touching the paintwork.  

Once smooth apply some polish/finishing compound and buff to a perfect shine.  

Any and all paint shops or detailers should be able to do this. Looking at £100 minimum tho.

7 hours ago, elmexicano said:

what do you think?

my Saga comp insce does actually cover vandalism with ZERO affect on my NCD  .............. so they say 

Maybe just check out your policy details

Malc

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Malc said:

my Saga comp insce does actually cover vandalism with ZERO affect on my NCD  .............. so they say 

Maybe just check out your policy details

Malc

It will however Malcolm, be recorded as a claim and the price of insurance will be increased because of the now increased risk. Yes you will have the NCB but it will be against a higher price of insurance. Even making contact to ask the question can result in a claim being recorded. Not suggested unless you intend to proceed with a claim.

• Like 1

then just be a tad cagey and explore the Q with your insurer............  just in case .......  for the future !

Malc

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

then just be a tad cagey and explore the Q with your insurer............  just in case .......  for the future !

Malc

I would advise that the Insurance Company should not be involved in this particular matter in any way, shape or form, Malc

• Like 3

elmexicano hi, you have reported this to the police and presumably now have a crime number ? ..........

I quite agree with John's thoughts above .......  it seems a relatively trivial matter in car bodywork issues in my view BUT possibly not to you eh !

It looks as tho' it might just polish out ...  but if it's one of the most important objects in your life well, you've   " paid your money ( to your insurer )  so make's your choice "   methinks 

Malc

• Like 1

21 hours ago, northernstar said:

Awful 

Expect to pay between £200 - £300 for something like that from a local paint shop. Maybe try chips away for an initial quote.

I used our local ChipsAway guy to repair two scuffed alloys and he did an excellent job.  Of course, it’s a franchise so individual operators may very, but they do offer a free estimate service - and they are in Cambridgeshire.

And they come to you to do it, which is another saving in your time as Insurers may require you to take it to a Body Shop - and leave it there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Malc said:

elmexicano hi, you have reported this to the police and presumably now have a crime number ? ..........

I quite agree with John's thoughts above .......  it seems a relatively trivial matter in car bodywork issues in my view BUT possibly not to you eh !

It looks as tho' it might just polish out ...  but if it's one of the most important objects in your life well, you've   " paid your money ( to your insurer )  so make's your choice "   methinks 

Malc

Hi, yes I reported and I now have a crime reference number. However, Camb police just sent me an email saying that it won't be further investigated. Does this help with any insurance claim?

55 minutes ago, LenT said:

I used our local ChipsAway guy to repair two scuffed alloys and he did an excellent job.  Of course, it’s a franchise so individual operators may very, but they do offer a free estimate service - and they are in Cambridgeshire.

And they come to you to do it, which is another saving in your time as Insurers may require you to take it to a Body Shop - and leave it there.

Chipsaway gave me a quote of £264. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elmexicano said:

Seems reasonable, have you checked your policy for the insurance excess?

Usually there will be a voluntary and compulsory element, so I have £0 voluntary but still would get landed with a £400 compulsory excess.

Hi, yes I reported and I now have a crime reference number. However, Camb police just sent me an email saying that it won't be further investigated. Does this help with any insurance claim?

I appreciate this is an afterthought, but I presume you don’t have a dashcam front and rear.  In Parking Mode and activated by proximity detector, they can provide a way of identifying suspects.

I do recall seeing such results in the past.

These days perhaps also worth checking if any cars parked back and front might have such cameras.  Supermarket car parks can also provide helpful CCTV - and there’s also the possibility of domestic security cameras and video door bells on adjacent housing capturing suspicious activity.

• Like 1

Absolutely no point in claiming on the insurance for that because:

• Your excess will probably be equal to or more than that
  • Your No Claims Discount (say 60% for example) will be lost if it isn't protected
  • Even if it is protected and you keep it, when you come to insure next time your premiums will go up so that instead of getting 60% discount on, say, £1,000, you'll get 60% discount on £1300

• Like 3

2 hours ago, elmexicano said:

no idea from me ......  sorry

Malc

2 hours ago, elmexicano said:

In what way do you feel it would help? Makes no difference to the insurance company, still a claim and a cost to be recovered someway.

I as others have said would not be claiming for such a small cost.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, elmexicano said:

Personally I wouldn't bother with the insurance claim. It will cost you much more than £264 if you go down that route.

I've used the ChipsAway and was initially unsure. Went with my gut feeling, as the guy seemed decent / competent / professional. He did a good job.

Now I'm a bit older and wiser, probably wouldn't even bother getting a scratch repaired these days. But my CT is 10yo now.

I'll keep the CT until it dies (or I do - haha).

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links