Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

19 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Although I have never had either of my Lexus vehicles roll back on any uphill gradient in Drive perhaps you could explain the procedure for a hill start if it does.

In a manual you can hear the bitting point of the clutch when the engine revs begin to drop but on an auto you don’t get this so how do you know when to release the foot brake for a smooth and controlled move off?

I’m always happy to learn 😀

Len, in his post above yours, made a start to explain.  Rather like feeling the clutch bite you should feel the car want to move forward against your foot on the brake at which point you gently release said left foot in unison with equally gentle acceleration with the right.  Can be a bit unnerving at first but practice and good judgement makes perfect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J Henderson said:

These cars have hill-start assist, don't they? I've never experienced rollback after releasing the brake pedal.

That was also my impression with Aisin transmissions hence my opinion that the car should not roll back facing uphill in drive

8 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

These cars have hill-start assist, don't they? I've never experienced rollback after releasing the brake pedal.

That's news to me.  Maybe it's not to be trusted on my local 1:4 gradient (that's 25% in new money!).

Where's the button anyway? 🤔

16 minutes ago, Sundance said:

That's news to me.  Maybe it's not to be trusted on my local 1:4 gradient (that's 25% in new money!).

Where's the button anyway? 🤔

No button, I’d have to find the technical article regarding the later Aisin transmissions regarding the feature.

Blimey a 1 in 4 in Surrey whereabouts is that especially if the gritter misses you 😀

12 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

No button, I’d have to find the technical article regarding the later Aisin transmissions regarding the feature.

Blimey a 1 in 4 in Surrey whereabouts is that especially if the gritter misses you 😀

Haha, gritters?  You must be kidding, they don't go near it!  Any sign of ice or snow the road is closed.  That's the North Downs for you.

Would welcome sight of the technical article you mention.

Same here, they do the estate through road but not the side roads off it, we’re on an uphill slope ( fortunately not 1 in 4) and they took the grit bin away unannounced years ago.

I’ll take a look for that tech article when I have the time and come back to you.

No button for the hill-start. The manual just lists it along with the various other systems (ABS, VSC, TRC etc) that "operate automatically".

In fact there's very little explained about it. Just a disclaimer that it probably won't be effective on really steep inclines, or icy conditions.

HillStart.thumb.jpg.4b3702a5feeca37ce8ec353b36c87286.jpg

I've never experienced this buzzer or flashing light coming into play in normal road conditions.

22 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

No button for the hill-start. The manual just lists it along with the various other systems (ABS, VSC, TRC etc) that "operate automatically".

In fact there's very little explained about it. Just a disclaimer that it probably won't be effective on really steep inclines, or icy conditions.

I've never experienced this buzzer or flashing light coming into play in normal road conditions.

Not available on my 2006 SE-L.  All I can find in my handbook are these wonderfully worded caveats ...

153967226_ScreenShot2022-05-22at21_26_42.png.7397d45a77e8a384afd10cca9ae4614e.png

1584169468_ScreenShot2022-05-22at21_27_37.png.5b2ef324bb43cc09b6757cb32e39850c.png

Hardly helpful when stationary on an uphill 1:4 ... experience is the key (or key-less in my case 😄).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sundance said:

Not available on my 2006 SE-L.  All I can find in my handbook are these wonderfully worded caveats ...

153967226_ScreenShot2022-05-22at21_26_42.png.7397d45a77e8a384afd10cca9ae4614e.png

1584169468_ScreenShot2022-05-22at21_27_37.png.5b2ef324bb43cc09b6757cb32e39850c.png

Hardly helpful when stationary on an uphill 1:4 ... experience is the key (or key-less in my case 😄).  

My Manual was equally reassuring about my ‘Hill Start Assist’ feature, Rowley.  It claims that:

Hill-start assist control may not operate effectively on steep inclines and roads covered with ice.
Unlike the parking brake, hill-start assist control is not intended to hold the vehicle stationary for an extended period of time. Do not attempt to use hill- start assist control to hold the vehicle on an incline, as doing so may lead to an accident.

So…a useful aid.  Just be aware it may not work!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In response to my comment on it being against the law to reverse out into a street. It was definitely law a couple decades ago. I personally reported numerous folk for reversing out of there drives because they were stupid in not seeing a 7.5 ton truck tootling down said road. Those 'drivers' did get a visit from the police. Fact. Now then all I can say is that law must have changed to exclude all roads other than A roads. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

In response to my comment on it being against the law to reverse out into a street. It was definitely law a couple decades ago. I personally reported numerous folk for reversing out of there drives because they were stupid in not seeing a 7.5 ton truck tootling down said road. Those 'drivers' did get a visit from the police. Fact. Now then all I can say is that law must have changed to exclude all roads other than A roads. 

We understood the spirit of what you posted Vlad. Thanks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J Henderson said:

The brake pedal has to be pressed quite hard & you will hear a 'beep' as opposed to a buzzer. The slip indicator will flash while the hill start assist is in action, usually for just a couple of seconds. (At least it does on my 2010 IS250C).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links