Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

60 000 mile service ?

Hi all,  I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me.  I rang my dealer for a service, car reached 51 000 miles, I've serviced every 10k since bought, and it was booked in.  51 000 miles on the clock but when I got the bill and looked at all the details I noticed they did a 60 000 mile service, the most expensive service to date.  Before I query it with them I thought I'd get your thoughts and save making a fool of myself 🙂 

Why would they do an expensive 60 000 mile service at 51 000 and what happens when it gets to 60 000?  Will they try to do another?

Paul, Have you looked at all of the Service Stamps in your Service Booklet? This should reflect the fact  that a Service is due every 10,000 miles (or so ) or Annually, WHICHEVER COMES SOONER.

Consider taking out a Service Plan which you pay monthly by Direct Debit and which helps your cashflow when Servicing is due.

My GS has only covered 62,000 miles but has had its 100,000 service due to age.

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Paul, Have you looked at all of the Service Stamps in your Service Booklet? This should reflect the fact  that a Service is due every 10,000 miles (or so ) or Annually, WHICHEVER COMES SOONER.

Consider taking out a Service Plan which you pay monthly by Direct Debit and which helps your cashflow when Servicing is due.

My GS has only covered 62,000 miles but has had its 100,000 service due to age.

Morning Roy, thanks for responding.  Last service stamp was 42 000.  It's only five years old so 51 000 doesn't seem out of place to me.  First registered 2017.

I will have a look into the service plan 🙂 

• Like 1

Services should alternate between major and minor each 10,000 miles or 12 months. Extra on the major service is brake fluid and differential oil.

In addition, at 60,000 miles spark plugs should be changed. But this is by distance travelled not by time. So at 51,000 miles the spark plugs are not yet due. It would be worth checking on your invoice whether they have been done. If they have you could either complain or you could just accept that they've been done and don't need changing for another 60,000 miles.

• Like 1

How many stamps are in the book? Like John has mentioned its 10k/1year whichever comes soonest so despite the vehicle being on 51k miles, if you havent owned it from new, it could have done more than 10k in a year causing the services to be done slightly earlier each time.

The other theory is that the dealer could have done a service in advance of a sale which could have pushed it forward too 

• Like 1

Hi guys, thanks for your input.  The service stamps are at correct intervals.

New 3/17

9097 4/18

18134 05/19

24058 5/20 when I bought it

33617 12/20

42945 10/21

51781 5/22 

Plugs definitely done.  MOT - (new tyre , wiper blades and headlamp washer jet) and service £905.

Says on the invoice carried out 60 000 mile service.  I am more curious why they did it 10 000 miles early and I shall certainly make sure it is an interim next time when it will be 60 000 miles.

9 minutes ago, Phooey said:

New 3/17

9097 4/18

18134 05/19

33617 12/20

42945 10/21

51781 5/22 

Based upon the above, this was the 6th service, hence 6 years. Next one should be a minor.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phooey said:

New 3/17

9097 4/18

18134 05/19

33617 12/20

42945 10/21

51781 5/22 

Plugs definitely done.  MOT - (new tyre , wiper blades and headlamp washer jet) and service £905.

Says on the invoice carried out 60 000 mile service.  I am more curious why they did it 10 000 miles early and I shall certainly make sure it is an interim next time when it will be 60 000 miles.

Everything looks fine according to the stamps on the book.

This is your 6th service so hence its the 6 year/60k service. If you look carefully youve had 2 services in 2020 and the 2021 service is 2 months earlier than it would be if you were doing 10k miles a year. Same with the 2022 service 

Your mileage is much higher than 10k miles a year hence you reached the 60k service earlier than expected

• Like 1

When you check your Lexus in for service in the U.K., is it not normal practice to be presented with a “pre-invoice” for your acceptance specifying which service it is (which you would normally already know since you would otherwise not be there in the first place) and itemizing the work and relative costs?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rabbers said:

When you check your Lexus in for service in the U.K., is it not normal practice to be presented with a “pre-invoice” for your acceptance specifying which service it is (which you would normally already know since you would otherwise not be there in the first place) and itemizing the work and relative costs?

Usually, I agree the basic work to be completed.

36 minutes ago, Phooey said:

New 3/17

9097 4/18

18134 05/19

33617 12/20

42945 10/21

51781 5/22 

Seems fine to me.It was due a 60,000 mile service. It had 2 in `20.

20 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

No doesn't seem to work like that 

Everything is online and you just take it in for service and they carry out the service required. 

You can't really chop and change the services so you can't just tell them to carry out a 60k/6year service without a spark plug change 

32 minutes ago, rayaans said:

You can't really chop and change the services so you can't just tell them to carry out a 60k/6year service without a spark plug change 

Why would you?

On 5/8/2022 at 1:46 PM, Rabbers said:

Why would you?

Theoretically the spark plugs should be changed on distance travelled and not time. The Lexus servicing scheme doesnt really allow for this. So a car which has 10k miles would end up having spark plugs changed at 60k.

The Lexus Essential Care servicing that they used to do for cars over 5 years old was great in this respect. You just had the major/minor service done and then add spark plugs or whatever else maintenance needed doing for extra cost. This was ideal for low mileage users

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links