Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RCF Swansea

Hi,

I have owned it for nearly a year but never really bothered to take  few shots.

So today, sunny weather and a view from Mumbles / Castellamare. 
My car is stock and this is how I intend to keep it except wheels. When the time for refurbishment comes I am going to change the alloys colour for something like copper or bronze. 

B535A6F6-FF30-42FB-AE22-7E3CA4AC3349.jpeg

F7C94A45-4211-49E3-AF5A-7C25F9EBA86D.jpeg

1E0BC019-0E0E-49F6-BFB9-62DC2070D3CE.jpeg

DEE936AA-C7A7-4D2D-92F2-0A6E41EBC08C.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DamianLEX said:

Hi,

I have owned it for nearly a year but never really bothered to take  few shots.

So today, sunny weather and a view from Mumbles / Castellamare. 
My car is stock and this is how I intend to keep it except wheels. When the time for refurbishment comes I am going to change the alloys colour for something like copper or bronze. 

B535A6F6-FF30-42FB-AE22-7E3CA4AC3349.jpeg

F7C94A45-4211-49E3-AF5A-7C25F9EBA86D.jpeg

1E0BC019-0E0E-49F6-BFB9-62DC2070D3CE.jpeg

DEE936AA-C7A7-4D2D-92F2-0A6E41EBC08C.jpeg

Looks good.  Blue has to be the second best colour, particularly in the sun!

Thanks guys 😜

I have done 8500 miles since end of September. I should manage easy 10000/year.

Honestly I am always looking on the market for something “special” but so far nothing seems to tick more boxes in this price range. This engine is a gem. 

I have just changed all 4 tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.  Front brake discs and pads (brembo discs and apec pads) already purchased waiting in my garage.

Also this week I’m going to Osaka Newport to change gearbox oil. I like this car so much that I think it deserves this little extra (Lexus dealer does not change oil there 😕 during routine maintenance as  far as I know). 

And finally one more thing. Because recently I bought is250 2015 F sport matador red for my wife I am more than happy she drives RCF now too! Because everything looks and works the same way she has no more excuses to give me a lift when I want few beers in this lovely weather. 🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DamianLEX said:

Thanks guys 😜

I have done 8500 miles since end of September. I should manage easy 10000/year.

Honestly I am always looking on the market for something “special” but so far nothing seems to tick more boxes in this price range. This engine is a gem. 

I have just changed all 4 tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.  Front brake discs and pads (brembo discs and apec pads) already purchased waiting in my garage.

Also this week I’m going to Osaka Newport to change gearbox oil. I like this car so much that I think it deserves this little extra (Lexus dealer does not change oil there 😕 during routine maintenance as  far as I know). 

And finally one more thing. Because recently I bought is250 2015 F sport matador red for my wife I am more than happy she drives RCF now too! Because everything looks and works the same way she has no more excuses to give me a lift when I want few beers in this lovely weather. 🍺🍺🍺

The engine seems to get better the more I drive the car, honestly. I think it feels faster now than when I first got the car. Apart from getting more used to driving it hard, the only things I've done are consistently running it on super unleaded and removing the bonnet vent cover which should help keep intake temps down when that secondary flap opens.

PS4S are great, I have them as well. Just have to be a bit careful on cold/wet days over winter, as the traction is awful at times. They are amazing in the dry once warmed up though. Did you go for the "correct" ones or the XL?

I've only done around 2-3k miles so far.

I have got 96Y at the front and 100y at the back both saying “extra load”.

I only use premium fuels either v-power or esso one. Never happened to use 95 so far. 
Same history with is250 only premium fuel.

1 hour ago, Rob RCF said:

The engine seems to get better the more I drive the car, honestly. I think it feels faster now than when I first got the car. Apart from getting more used to driving it hard, the only things I've done are consistently running it on super unleaded and removing the bonnet vent cover which should help keep intake temps down when that secondary flap opens.

PS4S are great, I have them as well. Just have to be a bit careful on cold/wet days over winter, as the traction is awful at times. They are amazing in the dry once warmed up though. Did you go for the "correct" ones or the XL?

I've only done around 2-3k miles so far.

Interesting the bonnet vent cover is off, are there many on here running with it removed?  I’ve left mine on thinking water will get in.

7 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

Interesting the bonnet vent cover is off, are there many on here running with it removed?  I’ve left mine on thinking water will get in.

I figured that summer would be a good time to take it off.

I'm kind of doing it out of principle anyway, because of marketing images like this:

rcfj1410_45_s.jpg

They clearly show the vent working to extract heat, and perhaps other aerodynamic benefits. No use having it blocked up.

The trim clips are a bit annoying to get off and damage easily. You can order spares from a popular vehicle clips site, the part number is 90467-09185.

Here's how mine looks now. Not as "pretty" as with the plastic cover, but I'd rather have a functional vent.

image.thumb.jpeg.69cf5a5194d93dfc1d11aa30deeb38de.jpeg

Does the fitted vent cover completely close off the vent? Seems odd the designer created it then sealed it, maybe the 'cover' is required to give the correct airflow to draw out the heat?

16 minutes ago, NemesisUK said: maybe the 'cover' is required to give the correct airflow to draw out the heat?

This is my thought exactly. I’m going to have a proper look at mine today to see how it functions. 

34 minutes ago, L55 RCF said:

This is my thought exactly. I’m going to have a proper look at mine today to see how it functions. 

I’m sure I read somewhere about it being used for track time or spirited driving.  I’ll see if I can dig out the literature.  It’s certainly designed to de removed so Lexus has intended it to be taken off and put back on multiple times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

I’m sure I read somewhere about it being used for track time or spirited driving.  I’ll see if I can dig out the literature.  It’s certainly designed to de removed so Lexus has intended it to be taken off and put back on multiple times.

Yeah, I’d be interested to hear about that. 

I have an idea. How about installing a mesh under the vent? A mesh with similar density like you have in iphones ear speakers.

this link is just an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271947660219?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qCxcw1hORrG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Tjxq2FOyR2-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

obviously we need much larger sheet to cut it out to measure.

I think that would work perfectly.

enough for hot air to blow out and dense enough to stop water going through.

Ok so ATF changed.

2.5l drained. It looked quite dark but could see through it when on finger 🙂

Technician from Osaka Newport said they had seen much worse in the past.

On my way to Swansea I noticed a difference. Transmission does not hesitate now as it did before from time to time.
I mean there was nothing wrong with it but in normal mode sometimes I got it “thinking” which gear to select. I haven’t noticed that now. Just pulls and knows better which gear to offer.

Same around town and little bit smoother.

In my opinion it is well worth doing it. 
I do it in every car around 60k miles so here same story. Next one will be around 120k if I keep it that long.

Few pictures below so you can see old oil and fresh blood 🩸 injection 😉

D341016E-6834-470E-B842-044B343138B2.jpeg

C0A62E20-3097-4F77-884B-1BFB01358319.jpeg

E575A6C2-5E2C-4348-992E-71E3C74DE070.jpeg

E23E7DEC-E267-41B2-9844-82EF0D88D85D.jpeg

8 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Does the fitted vent cover completely close off the vent? Seems odd the designer created it then sealed it, maybe the 'cover' is required to give the correct airflow to draw out the heat?

Yes. I don't have any pictures of it on the car, but it's a big plastic cover with a slope that leads down to a drip hole. It looks better on, but obviously removes the functionality of the vent. Quite a few threads on the US forums discussing it. Some people have cut an opening in the plastic cover in an attempt to make it look a bit more clean/oem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links