Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why are folk selling their is250's

Hello, no, the GT86. 

Looking around before i got the IS250, the GT86 was kind of appealing as i wanted to stick with Japanese, the misses accused me of having a mid life crisis though and said i couldnt have one haha

I like the way they look, read a mixed bag about living with one on a daily basis. A good drive, some say under powered but look ok to me.

The MR2 has always been a great little car, still see some of the early ones on the road. Remember my father nearly buying one but think he got the old mid life crisis line too. 

3 hours ago, SeanR said:

Hello, no, the GT86. 

Having had the MR2, I was a Toyota fan and I recall looking round a GT86 in a showroom.

It was certainly an attractive proposition.  However, at the time I had what proved to be about the last version of the Honda Prelude and that lasted me for 12 years and 120K miles.  

This then LED to a Honda Accord - so the opportunity was missed.

59 minutes ago, LenT said:

Having had the MR2, I was a Toyota fan and I recall looking round a GT86 in a showroom.

It was certainly an attractive proposition.  However, at the time I had what proved to be about the last version of the Honda Prelude and that lasted me for 12 years and 120K miles.  

This then led to a Honda Accord - so the opportunity was missed.

Funny you mention Accord, thats what my father drives now.

Its like it wont die or something. From memory, 2001 Vtec 2.2 auto. He has owned it the last 14 years, all he does is top up with oil now and again, its never been serviced whilst he has owned it and still going strong, he does 16 mile a day every day. Only ever had one issue, that was £260 to fix, everything else wear and tear.

He saw another for £600 and bought that, dunno why. Anyways, thats a 3litre auto and that looks mint, its like his weekender or sumert haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Funny you mention Accord, thats what my father drives now.

It’s what I would have been driving now, Sean, were it not for a Romanian driving a Spanish HGV on the M25 who decided to pull out into the next lane without checking if someone was already in it!

I would have replaced the resulting write-off with another Accord - except Honda had stopped selling it in the UK.  So purely by chance I stumbled on the IS250 and pretty much bought it there and then.

And barring accidents - literally- I intend to keep it. 😊

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LenT said:

It’s what I would have been driving now, Sean, were it not for a Romanian driving a Spanish HGV on the M25 who decided to pull out into the next lane without checking if someone was already in it!

I would have replaced the resulting write-off with another Accord - except Honda had stopped selling it in the UK.  So purely by chance I stumbled on the IS250 and pretty much bought it there and then.

And barring accidents - literally- I intend to keep it. 😊

Funny enough, that was exactly the reason which pushed me over the line replacing my old IS250 - because of accident and insurance company write it off. 

Else I was really struggling to fault it for anything and find replacement despite it being near 200k miles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

Len, sounds like a bad one!

Had that happen to me once, luckily heard the horn though.

Well hopefully Sean, you did as we did - and walked away without a scratch!

Which is always a good result.

Being pushed sideways along the M25 at 50mph could have ended very differently.

And the insurance money did buy me the Lexus.  So not all bad!  After all, I did go on to get the chance to make a few modest contributions here….

• Like 1

Hoping is250 stays reliable as the old accord but not as optimistic as its somewhat more tech.

Not expecting that centre console screen or its software to go the distance, thats the feeling i get anyway.

Hoping fuel prices dont get much more crazy than they are now, but as mentioned dont expect them to come way down again, not when we are being pushed towards electric etc.

Road tax not too bad. A guy at work was moaning about his tax on a new electric, from memory think he said that was around £500 as it was over a certain price, no surprise the government moved the goal post.

Will ride it out and see how it goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Hoping is250 stays reliable as the old accord but not as optimistic as its somewhat more tech.

Not expecting that centre console screen or its software to go the distance, thats the feeling i get anyway.

Hard for me to comment on your specific car.  As is so often the case, it does depend on the life it’s LED..  But judging from the experience of owners such as Vladimir and Linas, a properly maintained Lexus just doesn’t know when to call it a day!

The only software that I think is generally regarded as disappointing is the clunky SatNav!  It is - literally- a waste of space.  I use my Garmin; others use their smart phones.  

With regard to economy, I would describe my driving style as ‘brisk’ - economy is not a prime consideration.  The Honda’s 2.2 v-tec diesel was a splendid unit that delivered me 660 miles on a tankful.  The Lexus’s 2.5 v6 is a joy to use and promises 330 per tankful.

I used to think maybe it had a smaller tank.  But not so - they’re virtually identical.  So if fuel economy had been a particular concern, the Honda was a clear winner.

• Like 2

Yes unfortunately our is250's have a poor satnav. But there are now upto date android units that fit right in. Its one thing I'm going to do with my car hopefully in August. Then my car will be ultra modern lol.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

It won't but it isn't really an issue - it was never good design even compared to contemporary competitors and any £150 android unit you can get in place of it will run circles around it, or any cheap phone. So I see it as a moot point.

For example in car I got from auction screen digitiser does no work anymore (common problem, ribbon cable snaps from vibration and heat-cycling), but I am not worried about that at all as I am not even intending to fix it - it is going to the bin right away and getting replaced with android unit. 

• Like 1

Hello, 

I might sound thick here but not in the car.

I use the screen to control radio and temp etc, if this goes then can i still get by without it ?

The replacement units have all the same controls as original one, besides most of controls for temp and radio are physical buttons anyway, screen only repeats the same controls on the screen. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

Hello, 

I might sound thick here but not in the car.

I use the screen to control radio and temp etc, if this goes then can i still get by without it ?

I've recently fitted an XTRONS Head unit to replace my facelift IS 2010's infotainment. It works very well, few quirks but climate controls and all functionality seem to work fine aside from the reverse camera (that can be made to work by splicing some wires together) 

image.thumb.jpeg.3cab7341b834459d40c04c4c87ccc990.jpeg

Did a short little review of it for anyone who's interested. The T'EYES CC3 seems to be a better unit but I didnt like the OEM Buttons and the smaller screen so opted for this. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes unfortunately our is250's have a poor satnav. But there are now upto date android units that fit right in. Its one thing I'm going to do with my car hopefully in August. Then my car will be ultra modern lol.

I have just listed an unused Android head unit in the sales forum if you, or anyone else, is looking for one.

Hanging on to mine. It drives well, has lots of toys esp the fabulous Levinson sounds, and now it's middle-aged or more, nobody envies it. Another thing: replacing it is so absurdly costly. As for the cost of E5 fuel, well we simply drive less, and with a lighter foot. YMMV, as they say.

• Like 2

I guess most people sell because why not. You have a car for some time and move on. I had my 250 for 4 years then went to BMW for 2 and back to Lexus for an IS300h for 4. and so on. Having said that these are company cars if it would be private i would propably still have my 250. Best car i ever had by miles.

• Like 3

I am kind of bored of my IS250 now after almost 3 years. It's a great car, I don't think it's that bad on fuel either for what it is, but I won't be selling because I won't get anything for it with the amount of miles I put on it. 

Just today, I did my 15mile journey to work, mixture of normal town roads, dual carriageways and motorway. Reset my AVG mpg before I set off and arrived with 39.2mpg.. These really aren't bad on fuel if you try. Of course there are cars out there that will return good mpgs without particularly trying.. good for people with a lead foot.

I have also (FINALLY) test driven an RC200t the other day after not so pleasant experience driving the RC300h. The car didn't have anything I was wowed by in terms of cockpit environment & infotainment system. Heated and cooled seats I already have, touch screen, camera I already have too.. RC200t was obviously a little faster than my manual IS250, but it didn't necessarily feel it because of how well built the car is, and frankly it's not a "sports car", it's more of a "luxury grand tourer" so it was expected I suppose. I was VERY impressed with how the engine works. Such a smooth power delivery, no turbo lag, honestly really nice to drive. Gearbox seemed fine under normal driving speeds, pulling away from roundabouts, driving on dual carriageways, some 60 roads. However, as soon as you push it, it's a little hesitant in D. You step on it, it downshifts, takes you to 100mph then you let off, and it takes a good while to sort itself out and choose a cruising gear after that while the speed is slowly dropping down to 70. Putting into Sport+ and manual shifting with paddles was good, the gear changes weren't as quick as 370Z for example, but it wasn't bad at all. The only thing I was really disappointed with was the fact it didn't hold the gear. You take it to redline in a manual mode and it will shift for you... Kind of annoying, but even IS250 auto, or a non-M BMW and 370Z will hold the gear, so was surprised that a car like the RC didn't. 

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that It's really hard for me to find a suitable replacement for the IS250 that is around 20k from which you get the same amount of comfort, interior features, rear wheel drive, more power and Jap..

I'm gonna sound like @Linas.P and say the RC350 would be perfect for me, but that's not an option without spending £30k+ on importing one and you're talking RC-F money there.. RC200t would be a lot nicer tuned to 300hp & 300+ ft/lbs and with perhaps overwriting the ECU to let the car hit the rev limiter, but with the amount of 8AR-FTS engines in the UK, who will have the experience with this engine? Nobody.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, H3XME said:

I am kind of bored of my IS250 now after almost 3 years. It's a great car, I don't think it's that bad on fuel either for what it is, but I won't be selling because I won't get anything for it with the amount of miles I put on it. 

Just today, I did my 15mile journey to work, mixture of normal town roads, dual carriageways and motorway. Reset my AVG mpg before I set off and arrived with 39.2mpg.. These really aren't bad on fuel if you try. Of course there are cars out there that will return good mpgs without particularly trying.. good for people with a lead foot.

I have also (FINALLY) test driven an RC200t the other day after not so pleasant experience driving the RC300h. The car didn't have anything I was wowed by in terms of cockpit environment & infotainment system. Heated and cooled seats I already have, touch screen, camera I already have too.. RC200t was obviously a little faster than my manual IS250, but it didn't necessarily feel it because of how well built the car is, and frankly it's not a "sports car", it's more of a "luxury grand tourer" so it was expected I suppose. I was VERY impressed with how the engine works. Such a smooth power delivery, no turbo lag, honestly really nice to drive. Gearbox seemed fine under normal driving speeds, pulling away from roundabouts, driving on dual carriageways, some 60 roads. However, as soon as you push it, it's a little hesitant in D. You step on it, it downshifts, takes you to 100mph then you let off, and it takes a good while to sort itself out and choose a cruising gear after that while the speed is slowly dropping down to 70. Putting into Sport+ and manual shifting with paddles was good, the gear changes weren't as quick as 370Z for example, but it wasn't bad at all. The only thing I was really disappointed with was the fact it didn't hold the gear. You take it to redline in a manual mode and it will shift for you... Kind of annoying, but even IS250 auto, or a non-M BMW and 370Z will hold the gear, so was surprised that a car like the RC didn't. 

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that It's really hard for me to find a suitable replacement for the IS250 that is around 20k from which you get the same amount of comfort, interior features, rear wheel drive, more power and Jap..

I'm gonna sound like @Linas.P and say the RC350 would be perfect for me, but that's not an option without spending £30k+ on importing one and you're talking RC-F money there.. RC200t would be a lot nicer tuned to 300hp & 300+ ft/lbs and with perhaps overwriting the ECU to let the car hit the rev limiter, but with the amount of 8AR-FTS engines in the UK, who will have the experience with this engine? Nobody.

A good post Lucas. You have made the obvious decision which is to keep what you have-a decision that many of us (inc me) find the right decision. And it costs you nothing !

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, H3XME said:

I advise to take it for at least a day or even better weekend if possible - admittedly I missed most of the annoying issues with it when I test drove it with sales guy on the side.

Definitely holds gear in Sport+ - but it is totally not necessary to be fair, because you need to change at 4.5k-5k anyway as there is no more power to be made after 5k (and this was always issue for me mentally I could not deal with). Pulls well from ~50+, hesitates from the start and as well for overtaking it can never select right gear, so it is very sketchy when you start overtaking at first there is nothing, then it shift mid-overtaking and then you suddenly need to start braking because it is too much. As well does not hold speed when cruising on autopilot and event at 70mph seems to shift between 6th, 7th and 8th all the time for the smallest hill, which hurts economy and smoothness. I guess you could not test fuel economy in test drive.

As well it not only does not feel like, but it isn't faster up-to ~50mph and I am not saying that because I think so, but because I had IS250 and RC200t at the same time for few months and (admittedly) had them lined-up and even went to seaside with friends using both cars. IS250 simply get's going quicker and pulls better up-to ~40 maybe and then RC overtakes it around 50 when it finally sorts out which gear it want's to use. Same for overtaking - IS250 just gets moving quicker, RC200t just takes longer to sort itself out and by the time it does you have already overtaken the car. So overtake on IS250 looks more like - 1s delay (you can even eliminate this, but putting it in S and if needed downshifting once before opportunity comes - effectively two clicks) > 2.5s to go from 60 to 80> 2s to finish overtake and you back to your side of the road in ~6s. In RC 2s to start going > struggles to accelerate in maybe 5th and takes 2.5s to get 60-70 > changes again to probably 4th or even 3rd in another 1s > then suddenly accelerates 70-90 in another 3s (because you scared you won't make it), then cut sharply back to your side of the road under braking and overtake overall takes ~8s and it is scary, and you waste fuel and speed unnecessary for what is simple overtake. 

Provided you can juggle 8 gears in your mind I think it could be fast car after 40mph, but I just can't (my problem) - especially considering gears are very "short" because of effective engine power is ~2.5-4.5k, so you always have to keep the car in that range for it to pull and the gears are overlapped a lot as well, so you can't even "feel" if you in right gear. When you have 6 gears that is totally normal and quite different - it is possible to shift yourself and gears are clearly distinct and feels natural i.e. you know what to expect and you can predict based on speed you going whenever you need to be in 4th, 3rd or 2nd gear.

I know we discussed this already, but RC200t can only be tunner if you change turbo, the turbo as it is can't provide more boost even if you remap the ECU... and that is going to be very existing proposition for what as you say is rare car and pretty much has to be custom done everything. 

One thing i thought about whilst reading this thread and sure im going to sound again like an old git, again.

Sometimes folk have no choice but to hang on to cars.

At 50 and looking to retire at 60, i dont want to go out spending loads of money on cars. I could but just see them as a complete waste of money, they just get me from home to work and back again.

Think how many holidays £30,000 gets you in retirement

When i was younger wasted loads of money on motors, wished id invested it in property.

Anyways, il stop now haha

• Like 3

Possibly the best post on this my thread Sean. I am 60 and hindsight tells me I wish I bought an is250 years ago, I'd have saved 10's of thousands. Mind you I'd have probably spent it on something else lol.

• Like 2

Absolutely no intention of selling mine.

It still drives great. I still enjoy driving it, and it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount to keep on the road.

Plus, after all these years I'm still finding it pleasing to the eye whenever I walk back to it. Not just my own car, but the 2nd-Gen IS in general. It is ageing very gracefully in my opinion.

In fact, I'm thinking of throwing a few quid at mine to rejuvenate things and keep it looking sharp. The wheels don't look horrible from a distance, but they do need refurbished. I also want to repaint the brake calipers and get a PDR guy to treat a couple of dings that have been on the car forever.

Occasionally I'll wonder about getting something faster/newer, but when I look at what is actually out there that could be justified, it's a very small list, and any potential replacement would cost a fortune.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Absolutely no intention of selling mine.

It still drives great. I still enjoy driving it, and it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount to keep on the road.

Plus, after all these years I'm still finding it pleasing to the eye whenever I walk back to it. Not just my own car, but the 2nd-Gen IS in general. It is ageing very gracefully in my opinion.

In fact, I'm thinking of throwing a few quid at mine to rejuvenate things and keep it looking sharp. The wheels don't look horrible from a distance, but they do need refurbished. I also want to repaint the brake calipers and get a PDR guy to treat a couple of dings that have been on the car forever.

Occasionally I'll wonder about getting something faster/newer, but when I look at what is actually out there that could be justified, it's a very small list, and any potential replacement would cost a fortune.

I concur whole heartedly with all of that. Just retired and no intention of letting mine go. 
Just back from 2 weeks in France where the car was stellar and did not put a foot wrong. Well impressed we were.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links