Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. I am after some background information to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues as myself.

I took delivery of my fourth new RX 5 weeks ago.  The first problem I had was the steering geometry was out, the steering wheel and the front wheels were not aligned. The dealer sorted this problem with a wheel alignment. The next problem was the engine management warning light came on, back to the dealer again. This time it was an error code that the car had at some stage run out of fuel, not while I was driving. This should have been noticed during the PDI. The next problem, again engine management system waring light came on, along with every other warning light on the dash when I deployed the parking hold while sitting at a railway level crossing.

I have never had any problems with any Lexus, this is my ninth so fair to say I have brand loyalty. I am beginning to think I have a loose connection somewhere so I doubt if it will be found or I have that dreaded Friday afternoon car. The dealer thinks it may be the 12v Battery, don't agree with this as its a brand new car. There is no excuse at all for the wheel alignment, this should never have got through the quality checks prior to leaving the factory. I have no confidence at all with the car as is.

I am not the sort of person who will be fobbed off by a dealer or manufacturer therefore my question to the group is very simple, has anyone had a similar experience recently with a brand new RX? 

• Sad 2

Just now, Richard Funnell said:

Hi all. I am after some background information to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues as myself.

I took delivery of my fourth new RX 5 weeks ago.  The first problem I had was the steering geometry was out, the steering wheel and the front wheels were not aligned. The dealer sorted this problem with a wheel alignment. The next problem was the engine management warning light came on, back to the dealer again. This time it was an error code that the car had at some stage run out of fuel, not while I was driving. This should have been noticed during the PDI. The next problem, again engine management system waring light came on, along with every other warning light on the dash when I deployed the parking hold while sitting at a railway level crossing.

I have never had any problems with any Lexus, this is my ninth so fair to say I have brand loyalty. I am beginning to think I have a loose connection somewhere so I doubt if it will be found or I have that dreaded Friday afternoon car. The dealer thinks it may be the 12v battery, don't agree with this as its a brand new car. There is no excuse at all for the wheel alignment, this should never have got through the quality checks prior to leaving the factory. I have no confidence at all with the car as is.

I am not the sort of person who will be fobbed off by a dealer or manufacturer therefore my question to the group is very simple, has anyone had a similar experience recently with a brand new RX? My profile shows a 2020, just changed to a 2022 so will update but its the same car only this year.

Ooh - not good !

Now, I cannot help I'm afraid, but clearly this is not of the standard to which we are accustomed, (and being a Takumi makes it even more unacceptable (were that possible!))

My only suggestions:

I would hope that your dealer would either provide an alternative car for you whilst this is completely resolved, or order you a replacement poste-haste.

IF you are not happy with the dealer's performance - take the matter up to Lexus HQ without any further delay.

• Like 1

Send it back and get a refund.  It will never be right and the dealer clearly is well below par :

1  These problems would have been optorted out before you had it.

2.  The dealer clearly doesn't know why the warning lights  keep coming on so how will they fix this.

Get a refund and buy one from another dealer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Funnell said:

There is no excuse at all for the wheel alignment, this should never have got through the quality checks prior to leaving the factory. I have no confidence at all with the car as is.

I think highly unlikely it did leave the factory with that fault, most likely occurred during loading / unloading onto ship / transporter etc.

I would say let them change the Battery but that is their last chance to sort it out.

Wheel alignment should have been picked up at PDI, no excuse.

It's more than possible that the 12V Battery is responsible for the other problems. The time between a Battery coming off the production line at the Battery factory and actually being put to use by the new owner of the car could well be over 12 months and it could have developed problems. These cars are full of electronics and all sorts of weird and wonderful things can happen if it's out of spec.

Get them to change it and if that doesn't cure it, refund.

• Like 2

Does sound like a 12v Battery. Some of them can be a bit funny and will cause all sorts of lights on the dash. 

It's very easy to say send it back but in practice it won't get sorted for a long time if going down this route and the issues sound easily fixable 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links