Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance - Recommendations

Damer

Insurance is due for renewal. For medical reasons I cannot actually drive until April, but Wife uses the car daily as named driver. I am worried that if I declare medical condition no one will touch me, although current insurance co have been fine. Wife still needs to be able to drive car.

If your “current insurance co have been fine” could you not stay with them on renewal instead of possibly being rejected by others which may lead to further problems?

The issue here may be that you will no longer be the main driver, maybe get your wife to renew in her name and then add yourself to the policy later?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

If your “current insurance co have been fine” could you not stay with them on renewal instead of possibly being rejected by others which may lead to further problems?

The issue here may be that you will no longer be the main driver, maybe get your wife to renew in her name and then add yourself to the policy later?

That sounds like a good idea. Particularly if you will be fine to drive from April next year and have no intention to drive until cleared to do so.

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

They have said as Wife is not registered keeper they will not issue issuance. Also the finance agreement is in my name. Currently on hold to Lexus.....................

Further update. Lexus Finance have transferred V5 to Wife (even though I keep paying for the car) She can then get her own insurance and pay the tax. 

6 minutes ago, Damer said:

They have said as Wife is not registered keeper they will not issue issuance. Also the finance agreement is in my name. Currently on hold to Lexus.....................

That is not what you said at first.

4 minutes ago, Damer said:

Further update. Lexus Finance have transferred V5 to Wife (even though I keep paying for the car) She can then get her own insurance and pay the tax. 

That is a good solution.

Good result, I myself and I’m sure all other LOC members hope you make a quick and full recovery from your ailments and soon get back behind the wheel of your Lexus.

Having said that I wouldn’t mind being chauffeur driven in mine occasionally 😀

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Good result, I myself and I’m sure all other LOC members hope you make a quick and full recovery from your ailments and soon get back behind the wheel of your Lexus.

Having said that I wouldn’t mind being chauffeur driven in mine occasionally 😀

My wife is regularly driving and I have pleasure in looking out of the windows without needing to keep an eye on traffic. That is not a problem. This is luxury.

1 minute ago, steve2006 said:

Even more so given where you live John 😀

You know the place. Lots of beautiful scenery. Most of it in the mountains, where cars cannot go though. Get up there and walk. Or use a mountain-bike to go see what most people do not know exist.

Further update. After spending what felt like hours on the phone. I CAN keep existing finance in my name, and remain the registered keeper. My Insurers WILL insure the car in my name, even though I cannot currently drive for medical reasons, and Wife can remain as a named driver so she can drive it. 

So I think all is sorted now. Next step is appealing the decision to not allow me to drive. That will be interesting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Ct we have is registered in my wife's name and insured in her name with 4yrs ncb. I was also a named driver on the policy.

After considering the fact I now drive that car more than she does because of medical reasons I considered it prudent to stay within the conditions of insurance and becoming the main driver.

Saga had no problem with changing me to the main driver and her to the named driver, whilst keeping the policy, NCB and registered owners details in her name.

Spouse sharing % of driving is rarely considered as fronting by companies for insurance purposes, compared to added children etc'

Of course the usual additional fee needed to be paid, as is the normal rip off with any insurance amendment 😄 but at least all the boxes are now ticked.

29 minutes ago, Poundy said:

Saga had no problem with changing me to the main driver and her to the named driver, whilst keeping the policy, NCB and registered owners details in her name.

It is company dependent though. Some insurance companies won't provide cover unless the main driver is the registered keeper. 

23 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It is company dependent though. Some insurance companies won't provide cover unless the main driver is the registered keeper. 

Hi Colin I realised that but felt I needed to address the issue. Had they not obliged I would have registered the car in my name and shopped around for a quote in my name without NCB and added my wife on as named driver.

It may never have been a problem but I feel the only thing worse than no insurance is paying for it then finding out you are not covered.

Read a while back of a write of claim being refused because the insured had answered no to any recent insurance claims when in fact he had  made a small claim on his House insurance with another company. Go figure lol!

15 hours ago, Poundy said:

Saga had no problem with changing me

15 hours ago, Poundy said:

Of course the usual additional fee needed to be paid, as is the normal rip off with any insurance amendment

I'm with Saga now for many years  .....  I'm a tad confused .....  I was quite thinking that Saga now promoted themselves ( to me anyway ) that they now no longer charge these amendment fees.... .  premium increase yes, but a simple non-financial amendment fee, well, NO

Suggest you re-check this with them,........  if you can bear to be on the phone again for another hour :unsure:

Malc

53 minutes ago, Malc said:

I'm with Saga now for many years  .....  I'm a tad confused .....  I was quite thinking that Saga now promoted themselves ( to me anyway ) that they now no longer charge these amendment fees.... .  premium increase yes, but a simple non-financial amendment fee, well, NO

Suggest you re-check this with them,........  if you can bear to be on the phone again for another hour :unsure:

Malc

It was more to do with the fact that NCB policyholder would no longer be the main driver and was being replaced by what they considered the higher risk named driver. The policy is on a 3year fixed premium at present, 

In fairness to the phone consultant, he juggled it down to around £20 from £70 per year with a couple of nudges and also by reducing the annual mileage used to a lesser more accurate mileage. I think he was trying to justify and get to a price I was happy with 😊

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 6:56 PM, Damer said:

You don't need to be the registered keeper to be the main driver. I've done it on at least 2 cars with several different companies

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links