Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 10 years, My dads decided he wants to change his 250 for something else. It's a 2010 SE-L (with the ML stereo) 117k with a full Lexus service History. He looked at trading it in against another car and was offered £2.5k I put the details into WBAC a few days ago and that wasn't any better at £2,880

I'm guessing the dealer would match the WBAC price if pushed but I'm guessing he could probably fetch close to £5k if sold privately and I'm pretty sure it'd be up on the dealers forecourt for closer to £6k?

Why are the trade prices so terrible for this car, is this normal, or are we looking in the wrong places?

16 minutes ago, eleveneleven said:

Why are the trade prices so terrible for this car, is this normal, or are we looking in the wrong places?

I suspect primarily age, most dealers don't want the hassle of selling a 12-year old car even with FSH.

39 minutes ago, eleveneleven said:

After 10 years, My dads decided he wants to change his 250 for something else. It's a 2010 SE-L (with the ML stereo) 117k with a full Lexus service History. He looked at trading it in against another car and was offered £2.5k I put the details into WBAC a few days ago and that wasn't any better at £2,880

I'm guessing the dealer would match the WBAC price if pushed but I'm guessing he could probably fetch close to £5k if sold privately and I'm pretty sure it'd be up on the dealers forecourt for closer to £6k?

He would be a fool to sell it. The cars good for at least 20 years and 250,000 miles 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fourbanks said:

He would be a fool to sell it. The cars good for at least 20 years and 250,000 miles 

My thoughts exactly, but he said it's costing him too much in petrol now for the short trips he's doing, he's looking at a hybrid of some sort. 

Part of me is temped to sell mine and buy his. I'd be getting a newer car with a better trim (mines an SE) albeit 30k more miles but could be worth it...

46 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I suspect primarily age, most dealers don't want the hassle of selling a 12-year old car even with FSH.

Would have thought a car like this wouldn't be a hard sell with the way things are, but I guess it works both ways. A thirsty V6 probably isn't the best choice for a daily driver right now. 

Mine is good but in no way as good your dads and never will be. Whatever he buys will be not as good as a six cylinder, as that can't be beaten, and he will need to understand that. The drive will never be as good 

On 8/18/2022 at 4:22 PM, eleveneleven said:

but he said it's costing him too much in petrol now for the short trips he's doing,

and offsetting the changeover capital costs of xxx£000's  doesn't hugely overshadow the extra tiddly bit of fuel used on his " short trips " maybe:whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

I was checking the prices of 2010 cars a short while ago.

I think around £5000 is attainable. 

Just got wait for a savvy buyer 

Also, just my opinion. I dont think they too bad on fuel. Had mine a while and sussed out how much fuel i use.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:22 PM, eleveneleven said:

My thoughts exactly, but he said it's costing him too much in petrol now for the short trips he's doing, he's looking at a hybrid of some sort. 

Part of me is temped to sell mine and buy his. I'd be getting a newer car with a better trim (mines an SE) albeit 30k more miles but could be worth it...

You can bay a lot of petrol fore the mony you have to pay exsta for a newer car and when the Lexus is ready for the junkyard you get a lower price on a newer car vith no trade in. Thats vhy i drive old cars.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:34 PM, eleveneleven said:

That is about right, PX prices are always horrible and especially for last 2 years have not been updated with market trends i.e. car prices actually increased, but most of valuation tools continue to depreciate them based on age and mileage despite it being clearly unrealistic.

When I tried to trade in my old IS250 I was literally told that they won't give me the price in writing, because they don't want to offend me, but verbally speaking they said "maybe £1000" and then we laughed because I sad "only wheels on the car are worth more" and the car itself was easily £2500-£3000 and that is in 2019 prices.  

I see no problem getting £5k and maybe even £6k if your dad is willing to wait few months.   

On 8/18/2022 at 4:25 PM, eleveneleven said:

Would have thought a car like this wouldn't be a hard sell with the way things are, but I guess it works both ways. A thirsty V6 probably isn't the best choice for a daily driver right now. 

If it is Lexus then they would not be selling it, they would discard it in auction. Too old and too many miles. Independent dealers obviously will be grab it, but it isn't highly desirable car for them. 

8 hours ago, dking22 said:

Nobody sane is paying over 1000 for these now 

Of course it's worth a lot more than £1,000. I have just sold my boy's 2005 Seat Cordoba with dents and scratches all round for 700 euros (and I paid 320 euros 3 years ago for it) and a yellow warning engine light on on the dashboard. Apart from central locking, electric windows and Bluetooth radio, it was a basic shell on 4 wheels and still managed to get double of what I had paid.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:31 PM, dking22 said:

Im saying nobody wants to pay more that 1000 with todays gas prices and car age, of course depending mileage and year it might be worth more. When selling mine this was the case.

Except that is not how money works, nor how the cars are valued, because if gas price would be defining reason than any car with engine bigger than 1L would be worthless. If anything IS250 has significantly increased in value and you can't get one without £4000 nowadays (unless it is completely beaten to death and manual), which is likewise ridiculous because I bought my old 2008 IS250 in 2014 for £4000. It was 6 years old car back then with 120k miles. Now £4000 buys you 15 years old car with similar mileage.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, SeanR said:

look at autotrader, none cat D

prices speak for themselves.

Anything cheap, it has issues, no service history/faulty/

My old IS250 is listed on Autotrader. I traded it to a Mercedes dealer for £8,500 in December last year, and they put it through an auction. The first dealer refurbished the wheels and repaired a small scratch on the bumper and then advertised it for seven months, at steadily decreasing prices until it was listed for less than the trade-in value. That dealer then moved it on to a second dealer who still has it listed for sale over eight months after I traded it. I was pleased to make a small profit over the 18 months that I owned the car, but maybe they are not so easy for a trader to sell in the current market.

If it helps, I used Motorway to arrive at a realistic trade value, and then used that value to negotiate the trade-in price.

So you got £8500, thats great.

There is a limit to what people will pay for these, folk have a sensible budget in mind. I saw them going for £10800 at lexus dealers but that was never going to happen, for me.

around £7500 tops (at that time), no matter how low mileage.

Since this next scare about gas prices, expect everything to drop, house prices too.

£1000 though, no, far too low.

If you a decent see one at that price let me know, might buy it and sell mine lol

Aye, i should of made it clear i was talking about 2010 cars

Dunno about earlier cars,

Good history and condition, obviously price goes up

Case by case, lots of hidden issues and dodgy sellers

All depends, 

13 hours ago, dking22 said:

2006-2008 sell around that and lower 😑 nobody wants these. Look at autotrader you can get one for around 2k from dealer that means they got it for 1000 or less😅.

If you have 2nd facelift 11-13 fsport low mile and right int/ext color its a different story. 

What you talking about, with each post you make less and less sense? Where you finding IS250 for £2000. Maybe manuals, maybe IS220d, maybe ones with 180k miles. You can't get even 2008 IS250 for under £4000, nevermind 2010. Cheapest 2010 SE-L is ridiculous £9000! It is definitely not worth that, but one would sell for £6000 like hot cake!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Texas said:

£2,000-2,250 it’s gonna cost more than that in Road Tax after a few years, 

Yes, clearly a government policy to drive older cars of the road, unless you make it SORN until it's 40-years old 🙂

1 hour ago, Texas said:

£615 a year and not even a sporty car!😩

I spent more on road tax now than I paid for the car 🤣

On 8/24/2022 at 1:29 PM, Texas said:

£615 a year and not even a sporty car!😩

But thats the whole point right - the high road tax is factored into the price.

If Toyota had figured out how to cheat the emissions testing system like all their German competitors did (resulting in lower tax bands), the prices of these cars would be much, much higher.

10 minutes ago, AFlex said:

But thats the whole point right - the high road tax is factored into the price.

If Toyota had figured out how to cheat the emissions testing system like all their German competitors did (resulting in lower tax bands), the prices of these cars would be much, much higher.

I think it must be methodology problem as well and Lexus should have looked more carefully how to properly test vehicle, because it does not make sense why car with same engine just different gearbox have to pay so much more taxes, it definitely does not pollute much more. And likewise late 2005 car pay the same tax as auto... so something messed-up happened in 2006 with testing methodology. 

And this isn't even cheating emissions, but simply getting correct emissions band for the car. For example Jaguar XKR with 5L supercharged engine is cheaper to tax than IS250 manual, despite having higher CO2 emissions - go figure!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links