Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Does the map update over the air or is it a required purchase?

Two dealership have told me two different things.  One wanted £130 to update, the other said its over the air.

10 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Does the map update over the air or is it a required purchase?

Two dealership have told me two different things.  One wanted £130 to update, the other said its over the air.

Dan,

If you have a 2015 NX200t as per your profile, then the update is via a micro SD card in the center stack behind a little flap that flips up, just below the radio media/seek buttons.  This is payable.

On newer models the update can occur OTA and they come with 3 years of "map care" updates included.  On these, however, you should never do an OTA update - always do the update by downloading from the web to a usb stick and then update the car from the usb stick, otherwise speed camera notifications will stop working.

Paul

• Like 3

Apparently, this Poster updated his SatNav three weeks ago and discovered an error that suggests it’s actually two years out-of-date!

Switching to Google Maps he then found that that system was spot on.  I make do with my Garmin system - complete with free quarterly updates a year - which clips securely and conveniently onto the ventilation slats in the central part of the dash.

And of course it’s far easier to use than the Lexus effort.

• Like 1

Lexus updates are expensive. Do not remember how much I paid, but more than 100 and even had to wait 3 weeks or a month to get it.

Asked a dealer on eBay about 2021 or 2022 maps on SD-micro card and was told that the latest available is 2019 (which I have). Told me that some are selling them as 2021 maps, but they have not been updated since 2019.

Anyway the maps on smartphones are free and constantly updated plus much easier to use than using the funny mouse we have in the cars.

• Like 2

I quite like the funny mouse, but agree that Google Maps and Waze are far better than any manufacturer sat nav I've seen.

As an aside, I used what3words recently on a couple of trips, and liked the fact that you could store your desinations on there and then choose which map app you want to do the routing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Apparently, this Poster updated his SatNav three weeks ago and discovered an error that suggests it’s actually two years out-of-date!

Switching to Google Maps he then found that that system was spot on.  I make do with my Garmin system - complete with free quarterly updates a year - which clips securely and conveniently onto the ventilation slats in the central part of the dash.

And of course it’s far easier to use than the Lexus effort.

I didn’t update my SatNav Len, I took delivery of the new NX which is supposed to have the new Lexus all singing all dancing system which I was told will always be up to date because of over the air updates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RXtoNX said:

I didn’t update my SatNav Len, I took delivery of the new NX which is supposed to have the new Lexus all singing all dancing system which I was told will always be up to date because of over the air updates.

My apologies, Paul.  I was confusing you with another poster on the same subject!  But I thought the point you made was rather important.  And the fact that the car was new and you could reasonably expect it to be delivered with the latest software, must have been very disappointing.

I can only hope that the rest of the Lexus has even exceeded your expectations. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

Maybe the guy selling the map updates on eBay is right that the maps have not been updated since 2019.

I think that Lexus could ask Garmin for help (probably not cheap, but anyway, the cars are not cheap either), especially when they can have Mark Levinson take care of their best audio (probably not cheap either).

• Like 2

I doubt that there are any automotive systems from any manufacturer that could ever be as good or as convenient as Google Maps, Waze, Sygic or others of that ilk.

In the past I had a couple of TomTom units, first one being a GO700 and the last one being a GO LIVE 1005 and they were great, but even they couldn't stand their ground against a modern smartphone and the mapping apps I mentioned above.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PDM said:

On newer models the update can occur OTA and they come with 3 years of "map care" updates included.  On these, however, you should never do an OTA update - always do the update by downloading from the web to a usb stick and then update the car from the usb stick, otherwise speed camera notifications will stop working.

Can you disable OTA updated?

1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

Can you disable OTA updated?

Dan,

Yes you can.

go into 

Setup-> Lexus Online

and make sure "Auto Download" is unchecked.

you could also uncheck "Auto Check" if you wish.

I leave auto check on, so that it alerts me when there is a new update, and leave auto download off, so that I know when to do the update via a usb stick.

Paul

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 10:04 PM, Sybaris said:

Ok so I realised that I don't see the speed cameras on the map.  Can anyone help and tell me how to get them back?

Not sure if they show on the map, but you should get a beep-beep alert as you approach one.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sybaris said:

That's not happening. Not sure if they are not being picked up or if I need to enable the beep beep

Dan,

This suggests to me that the software may have been update over the air.  Can I confirm the year of the vehicle? You are in a 2020 RX?

If this is the case i would suggest that at some point an OTA update has been done that has broken the speed camera notifications.  Rather shocking that Lexus are aware of this bug and have done nothing to fix it....  The OTA update will have probably only updated the GB maps and not other countries.

To fix this you will then need to update the complete map database from usb. Let me find a thread on that.  I'll post back in a minute.

Paul

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sybaris said:

That's not happening. Not sure if they are not being picked up or if I need to enable the beep beep

Incidentally you can't enable or disable the beep beep i believe. Its always there (when speed camera notification is working).

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PDM said:

Rather shocking that Lexus are aware of this bug and have done nothing to fix it....  The OTA update will have probably only updated the GB maps and not other countries.

Yet another reason (as if we needed it) to just forget the pitiful Lexus offering and go with Waze, Google Maps, Sygic or others.

• Like 3

Thanks PDM, will try the link.  It is a 2020 RX. That is shocking that they released software without fixing a known issue.

Its not a major thing not to have the beep beep but I got used to it on the last car.  

I did see somewhere a setting to make auditable alerts on or off and will have to trawl through the settings to locate it again just to check.

If not I'll take it in to my local Lexus and get them to fix it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK got the speed cameras working with the double chime.  The NX had a double beep which I do prefer but the chime is somewhat suited to this car, more relaxed, more laid back.  Thing is I can't now find where the setting is to turn it up a little.

4 hours ago, Sybaris said:

OK got the speed cameras working with the double chime.  The NX had a double beep which I do prefer but the chime is somewhat suited to this car, more relaxed, more laid back.  Thing is I can't now find where the setting is to turn it up a little.

I don't believe there is one...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links