Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recommendations for car dryer

Andy B

Hi all.

I'm looking to purchase one of those hand held car dryers and wondered what ones would be recommended by the helpful folk on this forum.

My requirements would be that it is fairly quiet (as I don't want to annoy the neighbours); it is relatively light and it has an air filter. Due to the fact that I live in an apartment, my garage and the location in which I typically wash the car is not that close to my home so running a power cord to it is out of the question. Can you get cordless, rechargeable, dryers?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I think Ryobi make a cordless one. There's also various "leaf blowers" out there but they tend to be rather large and unwieldy, and noisy.

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Personally I use a microfibre towel for the bodywork and a quick drive round the block will clear any excess water from elsewhere on the vehicle.

I would have thought a dryer would be likely to leave water marks, especially if you live in a hard water area.

A damp microfibre is also my favoured method, but a dryer eliminates the drive round the block step.

I have a cheap one I got from eBay a few years ago and it's ideal for trapped water inside mirrors, wheel nuts etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I use this for occasional drying when a cannot be fussed to just take the car for short drive to air dry.  It is expensive just for the car but is really very compact,  has three speed settings (incl. OFF), and a 4aH Battery lasts 30 mins on full power.  It is no where near as loud as a 240V leaf blower-vac but not exactly the quietest tool out there.  Also makes a good job of blowing the dust out of the man cave and workshop but IMO not heavy duty enough for wet leaves etc.

GBL 18V-120 Professional

image.png.078dea9c63e6283a13d9d0239af8d8a2.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this one a few months ago. It was recommended by the guy that did my Ceramic coating. It is very powerful but quite loud and has a dirt filter to stop you sand blasting the car (quite easily done with garden blowers). Once you get the nack of how to use it, it's very quick and efficient. 

blowr-mini-car-dryer.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you thought of a water filter for car rinse (link below) I've used a water filter years ago not the one in the link. The secret is wash your car as you would  then when your car is ready to be dried then and only then switch hose to water filter and rinse car this way your water filter will last a lot longer . Then leave it to air dry no water marks I've done this in hot weather great results no water marks. Added bonus outside windows . 
https://www.waterfilterman.co.uk/car-washing/568-aquahouse-di-car-wash-water-filter-pure-water-for-spot-free-rinse-car-valeting-window-cleaning-5060506004600.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marlinleg said:

Have you thought of a water filter for car rinse …

Good idea, no doubt, but I think that despite the apparent contradiction in terms you’ll find a capful of Optimum No Rinse in your rinse bucket maybe easier and just as effective. 

1 hour ago, Marlinleg said:

… is this the same product …

Yes, that’s the one.  I rarely use it as a rinseless wash, which is the purpose for which it’s marketed, but adding a small amount to the rinse water after normal shampooing makes water spots a thing of the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marlinleg said:

Thank you I’ll try 

I’ve just looked more closely at the link you provided for the Optimum No Rinse, and was shocked by the high price asked on that site.   I see that Amazon’s prices in some other countries are also generally high, but quite variable, the lowest by far for the 32oz bottle being €29.50 in Germany.  I don’t remember how much I paid six or seven years ago (I think it was in a motorway shop in France) but I can’t imagine it would have been more than €20.   All I can say is that although a little of the product goes a long way, it would be a good idea to shop around before buying on amazon.

I think you'll be talking about a Rinse Aid. There's plenty of that kind of stuff out there. Car wash places use gallons of the stuff. Dishwasher rinse aid is the same stuff. Shed loads of that available. Personally I don't see the point of it. Rinse then dry. Simple.

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

I’ve just looked more closely at the link you provided for the Optimum No Rinse, and was shocked by the high price asked on that site.   I see that Amazon’s prices in some other countries are also generally high, but quite variable, the lowest by far for the 32oz bottle being €29.50 in Germany.  I don’t remember how much I paid six or seven years ago (I think it was in a motorway shop in France) but I can’t imagine it would have been more than €20.   All I can say is that although a little of the product goes a long way, it would be a good idea to shop around before buying on Amazon.

I think they're taking advantage of a current shortage. I've had a look online and prices are generally half that of amazon,  but seemingly no-one in the UK has any stock.

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, Rabbers said:

Yes, that’s the one.  I rarely use it as a rinseless wash, which is the purpose for which it’s marketed, but adding a small amount to the rinse water after normal shampooing makes water spots a thing of the past.

I had never heard of such product. Sounds interesting. 🙂 

My car is black and if I just wash it and go for a drive to dry it, I always get water spots. Sure drying it with a microfiber towe helps. But if it's possible to get spot free without ever touching the paint physically it's probably better and also easier. I'm not sure if I fully understand the point of this product. But I'm guessing you add it to the water so it won't cause water spots after dry and you can let it just air dry, even without driving around to dry it? 

The ony down side is you would of course have to wash at home, to add it to the water. I normally go to the carwash. Not the automated one. Just the one with the spraying water hose. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

I had never heard of such product. Sounds interesting. 🙂 

My car is black and if I just wash it and go for a drive to dry it, I always get water spots. Sure drying it with a microfiber towe helps. But if it's possible to get spot free without ever touching the paint physically it's probably better and also easier. I'm not sure if I fully understand the point of this product. But I'm guessing you add it to the water so it won't cause water spots after dry and you can let it just air dry, even without driving around to dry it?  ....

I would suppose the product simply contains some kind of mild acid in a quantity and concentration sufficient to substantially reduce the lime content of hard water. In other words, it is in this regard similar to common domestic limescale removers which, when added to rinse water, leave no visible spots on dried-off surfaces as would happen if the same water were to be used neat.  Personally, I don't let my car air dry but apply a drying cloth immediately after rinsing one manageable section at a time.  That a capful or so of Optimum in my rinse bucket could be substituted by one of any of many brands of domestic descaling product, coffee-machine cleaner etc., is possible, I suppose, but I love my car too much to experiment with them in case they would be too aggressive.  I further presume that unlike  such products, Optimum, having been developed as a car-specific rinseless shampoo, also contains some kind of gloss agent since the surfaces are left pleasantly but not excessively shiny.

I honestly can't say if Optimum's performance as a rinse additive would be as satisfactory on black paintwork since I have only ever used it on my last few cars , all of which have been light or light-ish metallic.  However, provided the car is properly dried-off, I don't see why it shouldn't be.  Try it and see.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links