Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High mileage IS 300h

As more people start asking about buying older IS 300h’s with higher mileages thought I’d post this here for those looking now and in the future.

My IS 300h is 8 years old and done 122k miles and had it’s 8-year old MOT yesterday. It once again passed without fault – no advisories, nothing.

I bought the car used from Lexus when it was just over two years old with 40K miles on it – I got a good deal at the time as the mileage was quite high for a two-year-old car. The trim level is Executive, which although it doesn’t have all the toys, the pre-face lift Executive trim was a reasonable package and gave me everything I needed.

The car was bought for business use (as well as personal use) and so was going to have to earn its keep and certainly wouldn’t be babied. It has been looked after by the same Lexus dealer since new (I purchased it from the same dealer that sold the car new) and I have continued to have it serviced there since. I have simply left it to Lexus to follow their service schedules (every 10K miles), nothing more. I have also kept an Extended Warranty in place and always had the MoT done at Lexus too. I like to keep things simple with one port of call wherever possible.

In the 6 years and 80K+ miles I have run it, other than the servicing and tyres (also fitted at the Lexus dealer as they were always the cheapest) the only additional items have been:

-    New screen wash sensor – about a year after I purchased the car I hit a lorry tyre at night that had been shed on the motorway causing quite a bit of damage – this was repaired faultlessly by Lexus (Jemca’s own body shop) but just after that I noticed the screen wash sensor failed – I’m not sure it was coincidence or to do with the accident (which damaged the area near the washer fluid reservoir) -  however Lexus fitted a new one under the Extended Warranty.

-    At 80K miles I noticed what sounded like a failing front wheel bearing noise on one side. Lexus checked and agreed and replaced this under the Extended Warranty, also taking it on themselves to replace the other side too as having done one side they thought the other side sounded like it was wearing. Again, this was all done under the Extended Warranty. I also took the opportunity to have Lexus change the front discs and pads as they had everything apart anyway and they would have needed doing within probably another 20k miles.

Other than the above, that is it. Beyond normal maintenance, tyres etc. all it has cost me is just one set of discs and pads on the front (the Extended Warranty paying for the screen wash sensor and front wheel bearings). The rear discs and pads are still original with plenty of life left in them (though the discs are getting a bit pitted now). The 12V Battery is also still the original and no sign of any issue when the hybrid health check was last done. I’ve recently left the car for well over a week and no problems starting it.

I have not looked after the car especially well (beyond making sure it has always been serviced regularly) – as I said it’s been a work horse for me. Occasionally I wash it if it has got particularly dirty – and Lexus wash and vac etc. at each service and MoT. Despite that, after a wash, the paintwork (Mercury Grey) comes up well with very few scratches or swirl marks etc. The wheels could do with refinishing as it looks like the previous owner scuffed them and had them repainted before trading in (they were not done by Lexus as they have no record of doing it) and the paint that was used is now coming off.

The car has transported me around the country many times and always leaves me feeling refreshed after a long journey. The seats are still just as supportive as when I first got the car. Fuel economy has been unerring over the years, an overall average of 48mpg on the car computer and it continues to deliver this today. It drives much the same as when I first got it, no undue clunks or rattles. In fact, yesterday I had a one-year-old UX 250h with 9K miles on it as a courtesy car while mine was in for the MoT and driving them side by side you would never know my car was 7 years and 110K miles older!

So, I thought this might be useful to anyone looking today at buying an IS 300h and looking at running it to (or past) this sort of age and mileage. Find one that has been serviced according to the schedule and has been used regularly (cars that sit for a long-time unused IMHO have more problems than those that are used regularly) and you should have some good years and many miles left in it.

Had Lexus continued to bring the IS 300h into this country I would probably have traded this car against a new one by now, but they haven't, and I really don't know what else I would like from the current line-up as the IS 300h was the goldilocks car for me. So, my plan is to continue running the car to at least 150K miles and then decide whether to just keep going until something major happens or trade it in if there is something that piques my interest at that time. So, I might be able to keep reporting each year on how things are going for a few more years yet.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Nice write up Phil 👍

Reading what you have written makes me miss mine even more as your experience sounds very similar to what I had.

Also, the dealer wouldn't by any chance be Lexus Reading, would it?  I only ask as I had impeccable service during my time and I would do the same i.e. tyres, MOT, etc.. all with them. 

It also rightly highlights the reliability and after sales you get.  Fairly certain most places would not agree to swap 80k mile wheel bearings under warranty, never mind change the other side as a precaution!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Nice write up Phil 👍

Reading what you have written makes me miss mine even more as your experience sounds very similar to what I had.

Also, the dealer wouldn't by any chance be Lexus Reading, would it?  I only ask as I had impeccable service during my time and I would do the same i.e. tyres, MOT, etc.. all with them. 

It also rightly highlights the reliability and after sales you get.  Fairly certain most places would not agree to swap 80k mile wheel bearing under warranty, never mind change the other side as a precaution!

Yes - Lexus Reading as you surmised. Been pleased with the way they have handled everything - also Jemca as a whole as sometimes speak with their central team (based in London) and my wife also bought a Toyota from Jemca Toyota next door. 

7 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Yes - Lexus Reading as you surmised. Been pleased with the way they have handled everything - also Jemca as a whole as sometimes speak with their central team (based in London) and my wife also bought a Toyota from Jemca Toyota next door. 

Is Sue still on reception? 🙂

I have actually had dealings with all 3 Jemca dealers:  Used to live in London, so Edgware Road looked after my IS220d - Bought my GS450h from Sidcup - and had all the work on the GS done at Reading.  All have been great, so no complaints about the Jemca group from me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Is Sue still on reception? 🙂

I have actually had dealings with all 3 Jemca dealers:  Used to live in London, so Edgware Road looked after my IS220d - Bought my GS450h from Sidcup - and had all the work on the GS done at Reading.  All have been great, so no complaints about the Jemca group from me.

When I went in yesterday there was a new chap on reception I'd not seen before so not sure if Sue is still there or maybe on holiday? 

• Like 1

I can add a further data point - my is300h is a little older than yours I think (first registered dec 2013). I bought it at 117k km in 2019, now at 175k km. I use it mostly privately but for some business trips too. 

All annual servicing has been done by Lexus themselves so I have full history. I am based in Switzerland and the car has been to various places in Europe incl Netherlands, Northern Poland, Sweden (up to Stockholm), Italy (down to apuglia and even Sicily) and France (incl Corsica). Also plenty of times to Germany and Austria. 

The failures known to me in these (almost) 9 years:

- 12 v Battery in march 2019. Likely died due to heat. I bought the car in southern Switzerland. I run it north of the alps now, where it is a bit cooler. I might change it in 2024 for peace of mind. 

- Wiper relay in summer 2020. Cheap part, changed it myself. 

- Bonnet latch. This is an annoying one. I got plenty of warnings where the bonnet would open on the motorway, esp during windy weather (of course there is a safety stop so it doesn’t open all the way). It’s especially likely to happen on the German autobahn at higher speeds. A new latch is about 60 USD on megazip. Easy fix, but my advice is to do it as soon as you start getting warnings. It only gets worse. First warning happened in 2019, I ended up changing the latch in 2021 only. Should have done it earlier for peace of mind. 

- AC refill in 2021. Was still working but after the recharge the effect was noticeable. I also need to get the system cleaned every year as it gets smelly otherwise. Not a big deal and very cheap to do. 

As far as I know I am still on original pads and rotors front and back. I am definitely on the originals shocks and I just had them checked out recently - no issues. 

Like you I just bring it in for maintenance at Lexus once a year. Fantastic car. The infotainment system got a bit old fashioned so I installed Chinese CarPlay (see my other thread) and now it’s up to date again. 

Have played with the thought of getting a model 3 or Volvo plug in hybrid, but this Lexus is just so cheap to run, I’d rather spend the money on other things 😄

• Like 6

2 hours ago, j051 said:

I can add a further data point - my is300h is a little older than yours I think (first registered dec 2013). I bought it at 117k km in 2019, now at 175k km. I use it mostly privately but for some business trips too. 

All annual servicing has been done by Lexus themselves so I have full history. I am based in Switzerland and the car has been to various places in Europe incl Netherlands, Northern Poland, Sweden (up to Stockholm), Italy (down to apuglia and even Sicily) and France (incl Corsica). Also plenty of times to Germany and Austria. 

The failures known to me in these (almost) 9 years:

- 12 v battery in march 2019. Likely died due to heat. I bought the car in southern Switzerland. I run it north of the alps now, where it is a bit cooler. I might change it in 2024 for peace of mind. 

- Wiper relay in summer 2020. Cheap part, changed it myself. 

- Bonnet latch. This is an annoying one. I got plenty of warnings where the bonnet would open on the motorway, esp during windy weather (of course there is a safety stop so it doesn’t open all the way). It’s especially likely to happen on the German autobahn at higher speeds. A new latch is about 60 USD on megazip. Easy fix, but my advice is to do it as soon as you start getting warnings. It only gets worse. First warning happened in 2019, I ended up changing the latch in 2021 only. Should have done it earlier for peace of mind. 

- AC refill in 2021. Was still working but after the recharge the effect was noticeable. I also need to get the system cleaned every year as it gets smelly otherwise. Not a big deal and very cheap to do. 

As far as I know I am still on original pads and rotors front and back. I am definitely on the originals shocks and I just had them checked out recently - no issues. 

Like you I just bring it in for maintenance at Lexus once a year. Fantastic car. The infotainment system got a bit old fashioned so I installed Chinese CarPlay (see my other thread) and now it’s up to date again. 

Have played with the thought of getting a model 3 or Volvo plug in hybrid, but this Lexus is just so cheap to run, I’d rather spend the money on other things 😄

Some good additional points as your mileage is only a little bit less than mine.

I'm still on the original 12V Battery, but I would think it won't last too much longer (though no signs as of yet), but certainly can't complain when it does eventually die.

I haven't had the wiper relay or bonnet latch issues but will keep an eye open in case these occur - good to know both are easy fixes.

Yes, I have had the AC recharged a few times at Lexus (forgot to mention that) - it was all working fine but just as preventative maintenance. I leave my system in Auto all year round (whether the weather is hot to cool the air or cold to prevent condensation on the windows) - I have done the same on all cars that I have had with air con. This, at least for me, avoids the "smelly" odour that can happen after the system has been off for a while. Also ensures the oil is constantly circulated in the system keeping everything lubricated. These days the climate control uses very little additional power (so doesn't impact mpg any significant amount).

• Like 2

Just to add to this - I bought my 2014 IS in 2018 with 165K on it but full history.  Originally supplied and serviced by Reading.  The only repairs showing in the history beyond servicing and consumable are a auto wiper sensor replaced under warranty and a bonnet latch.

Its now on 230K and just keeps going - the interior is getting a little creaky in places and I did have to replace a DRL and the transition between engine and EV is not quite as smooth, but I cant really think what else would rack up those miles so flawlessly.

PS - still on the original 12V

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mikey B said:

Just to add to this - I bought my 2014 IS in 2018 with 165K on it but full history.  Originally supplied and serviced by Reading.  The only repairs showing in the history beyond servicing and consumable are a auto wiper sensor replaced under warranty and a bonnet latch.

Its now on 230K and just keeps going - the interior is getting a little creaky in places and I did have to replace a DRL and the transition between engine and EV is not quite as smooth, but I cant really think what else would rack up those miles so flawlessly.

Great to hear - hopefully I'll have plenty of trouble free miles ahead of me too if yours is anything to go by. I'm running mine on Sainsbury’s E5 Super Unleaded now (rather than E10) as the improved mpg pays for the small uplift in cost (at Sainsbury's) and as an added benefit I've actually found everything runs a bit smoother including the EV to ICE transition - I think the ICE seems to starts more smoothly on E5 and runs better when it's at very low revs.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:54 PM, Mikey B said:

Wow 230K miles. Makes my 175k km(roughly 108 k mi) seem like nothing. If you know, I would be interested to hear when rotors/pads were done and whether you are still on the original shock absorbers. 

Also, your story sounds like another data point for the bonnet latch. For reference the part number for the latch is:

For RHD cars: 53510-53090

For LHD cars: 53510-53100

Megazip.net is a good source. Replacement is pretty straightforward once you look under the bonnet. Remove plastic clips, undo sensor wiring (plug with clip), remove bonnet latch bolts. 

I can’t find the wiper relay part number unfortunately. 

For anyone considering getting a high mileage IS300h I would definitely say go for it as long as you've got full service history. I have privately owned my IS300h Premier from new since August 2013 and it is the best car I've ever had by miles. I have full Lexus main dealer servicing and have looked after it. I have now done 209k and it drives like new still getting over 50 mpg on my journey from Leicester to Birmingham every day for work. Had a new hybrid Battery at 204k which was done under Lexus warranty, and I have full confidence this car will go for another 200,000+ miles. 

Sadly I will be selling mine early next year as I have ordered a new NX 350h Takumi, although it did take me about 6 months to decide whether to to keep my IS for another few years or to order a new NX. I decided to go for the new NX as my wife and I why are approaching retirement and the IS is an extremely low car to get in and out of and we both now struggle, other than that I would have probably kept it longer.

Below is my link when I clocked 200k.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/133270-200000-miles-and-counting/

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, imgo said:

For anyone considering getting a high mileage IS300h I would definitely say go for it as long as you've got full service history. I have privately owned my IS300h Premier from new since August 2013 and it is the best car I've ever had by miles. I have full Lexus main dealer servicing and have looked after it. I have now done 209k and it drives like new still getting over 50 mpg on my journey from Leicester to Birmingham every day for work. Had a new hybrid battery at 204k which was done under Lexus warranty, and I have full confidence this car will go for another 200,000+ miles. 

Sadly I will be selling mine early next year as I have ordered a new NX 350h Takumi, although it did take me about 6 months to decide whether to to keep my IS for another few years or to order a new NX. I decided to go for the new NX as my wife and I why are approaching retirement and the IS is an extremely low car to get in and out of and we both now struggle, other than that I would have probably kept it longer.

Below is my link when I clocked 200k.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/133270-200000-miles-and-counting/

That's great to know - I thought mine was quite high mileage - makes it look hardly run in now... 

44 minutes ago, imgo said:

F Had a new hybrid battery at 204k which was done under Lexus warranty, and I have full confidence this car will go for another 200,000+ miles. 

Couple of questions if yo do not mind?

Hybrid Battery replaced at 204K miles, that's good I thought it only covered up to 150K miles.

What was wrong with the Battery, had it failed?

Has the new Battery made a noticeable difference to performance?

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moleman said:

Hybrid battery replaced at 204K miles, that's good I thought it only covered up to 150K miles.

What was wrong with the battery, had it failed?

Has the new battery made a noticeable difference to performance?

Thanks.

The dash suddenly came up with a fault (see pic) "Check hybrid system..", car was still driveable using ICE only, took it to my Lexus dealer (Birmingham) where their technician plugged in laptop and diagnosed that one of the cells was at about 10v when it should have been around 12v. Had a courtesy car for a few days while they ordered and fitted new Battery, all done under lexus warranty (Would have cost about £3,500 otherwise). I was told that everytime I had it serviced they did a hybrid check and that extended the hybrid Battery warranty by another 10,000 miles. I have never missed a service since new, so already have done 20 services every 10k at Lexus Birmingham.

Battery performance:- Well I have never driven my car like a boy racer (that was in the '80s) so I don't know if it has improved acceleration or not. However, I have noticed an increase in my mpg. Prior to the Battery being replaced I was averaging around 46 to 48 mpg on my 35 mile trip to work. After the new Battery my average work trip mpg is around 52 mpg (without really trying) and as high as 59 mpg (if I try hard with a light right foot).

One thing that I have noticed is that it makes no difference if I drive in Eco with heater/ AC / seats all off, OR in Sport mode with heater / AC / heated seats on, I tend to get around the same mpg. I can't remember if that was the case 9 years ago when I had the car from new.

Hope the info helps

Michael

20220706_153940.jpg

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Hybrid battery replaced at 204K miles, that's good I thought it only covered up to 150K miles.

What was wrong with the battery, had it failed?

Has the new battery made a noticeable difference to performance?

Thanks.

Maurice, The Hybrid Battery Warranty covers 10,000 miles from the annual warranty date,each year for 15 years, notwithstanding the cumulative miles on the odometer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, imgo said:

The dash suddenly came up with a fault (see pic) "Check hybrid system..", car was still driveable using ICE only, took it to my Lexus dealer (Birmingham) where their technician plugged in laptop and diagnosed that one of the cells was at about 10v when it should have been around 12v. Had a courtesy car for a few days while they ordered and fitted new battery, all done under lexus warranty (Would have cost about £3,500 otherwise). I was told that everytime I had it serviced they did a hybrid check and that extended the hybrid battery warranty by another 10,000 miles. I have never missed a service since new, so already have done 20 services every 10k at Lexus Birmingham.

That is the Lexus difference!

Can you imagine one of the German makers doing that.

10 minutes ago, imgo said:

The dash suddenly came up with a fault (see pic) "Check hybrid system..", car was still driveable using ICE only, took it to my Lexus dealer (Birmingham) where their technician plugged in laptop and diagnosed that one of the cells was at about 10v when it should have been around 12v. Had a courtesy car for a few days while they ordered and fitted new battery, all done under lexus warranty (Would have cost about £3,500 otherwise). I was told that everytime I had it serviced they did a hybrid check and that extended the hybrid battery warranty by another 10,000 miles. I have never missed a service since new, so already have done 20 services every 10k at Lexus Birmingham.

Battery performance:- Well I have never driven my car like a boy racer (that was in the '80s) so I don't know if it has improved acceleration or not. However, I have noticed an increase in my mpg. Prior to the battery being replaced I was averaging around 46 to 48 mpg on my 35 mile trip to work. After the new battery my average work trip mpg is around 52 mpg (without really trying) and as high as 59 mpg (if I try hard with a light right foot).

One thing that I have noticed is that it makes no difference if I drive in Eco with heater/ AC / seats all off, OR in Sport mode with heater / AC / heated seats on, I tend to get around the same mpg. I can't remember if that was the case 9 years ago when I had the car from new.

Hope the info helps

Michael

20220706_153940.jpg

In my 10 years of membership this is the first instance of a HB needing to be replaced in a member`s car which he bought new, had serviced annually at Lexus and been the only owner.

Definitely not !

I have owned a Mercedes , worst service ever experienced after purchasing. I will never buy anything else other than a Lexus, just can't beat them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

In my 10 years of membership this is the first instance of a HB needing to be replaced in a member`s car which he bought new, had serviced annually at Lexus and been the only owner.

The sales guy who sold me my IS300h at Lexus Birmingham in 2013 is still there now and he told me that they have only had to replace 4 or 5 HB in total, very rare to fail.

7 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Maurice, The Hybrid Battery Warranty covers 10,000 miles from the annual warranty date,each year for 15 years, notwithstanding the cumulative miles on the odometer.

John, have a look at the Lexus web Site, it is not very clear on that point.

Still a great service but the Web Site is confusing.

1 minute ago, imgo said:

The sales guy who sold me my IS300h at Lexus Birmingham in 2013 is still there now and he told me that they have only had to replace 4 or 5 HB in total, very rare to fail.

Probably not 4 or 5 if I know Salesmen, Michael.

It is arguable in my book whether the end of a 200,000 mile lifetime is a failure or a natural death Sir !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

For hybrid vehicles, the service will include a Hybrid Health Check to extend the hybrid component and Battery warranty cover. If the vehicle is eligible for the hybrid components and Battery cover will be included in the same Lexus Warranty contract until 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever is soonest. You can then independently extend the hybrid component and Battery warranty cover for up to 15 years and unlimited mileage by having a Hybrid Health Check.

In addition to the standard 3 year/ 60,000 mile manufacturer warranty we also offer a 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty for both hybrid components and the hybrid Battery

Clear as mud.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moleman said:

John, have a look at the Lexus web Site, it is not very clear on that point.

Still a great service but the Web Site is confusing.

Thanks Maurice.If the website is not clear there is no point in me looking.The question has been answered relatively recently and I think I have remembered the answer,but I suspect good old Colln B will be along during the day to put us all right.

4 minutes ago, Moleman said:

For hybrid vehicles, the service will include a Hybrid Health Check to extend the hybrid component and battery warranty cover. If the vehicle is eligible for the hybrid components and battery cover will be included in the same Lexus Warranty contract until 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever is soonest. You can then independently extend the hybrid component and battery warranty cover for up to 15 years and unlimited mileage by having a Hybrid Health Check.

In addition to the standard 3 year/ 60,000 mile manufacturer warranty we also offer a 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty for both hybrid components and the hybrid battery. 

Clear as mud.

I agree that it is open to interpretation,so Colin B, where are you ?🤣🤣

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links