Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to remove centre caps without removing the wheels

Hi All, 

Any ideas on how to remove the centre caps without removing the wheels off the car? 

I’ve tried using a small screwdriver, I just can’t get them off. 

The alloys are the multi spoke F-Sport wheels. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Impossible, I'd say without damaging either the cap or the wheel.

Yeap, just what happens at the tyre depot even when they have taken the wheel off 😞

Pushing through with a broom handle or similar is what I do, wheel off obviously 🙂

Thanks for the replies guys. They just won’t budge! I’ll have to try again with the small screwdrivers. Failing that, I guess I’ll have to go to the local tyre shop to get the wheels off 👎

The current ones are all corroded, I’ve got a new set to go on 🙂

Hi Jit. You've just stated you've got new ones to replace the old ones as they are corroded. The centre caps are Plastic. 

Are you replacing the centre caps or the wheel nuts or the wheels? I'm finding it hard to understand a car owner not having a wheel wrench and a jack. Those two items should be in the car at all times except when being used of course. 

Please don't try and lever the caps out from the front ... it won't work satisfactorily and you'll likely damage the wheel facing and that will hack you off big time.

You need to take the wheel off and use a fairly large flat bladed screwdriver to prise carefully at each of the four tabs at the back of the centre cap. Just lever them carefully, inwards and the centre cap will start to move forward as you work your way around at each tab. The tabs are tensioned outwards by a circular metal hoop that you will see in the photo below. The tabs and ring is what prevents easy removal of the centre cap from the front face of the wheel.

IMG_0509.thumb.JPG.246fced8ebffc6ea045950fc8a5714a6.JPG

Some years back I removed the centre caps and the L logo so that I could paint the caps black and then refit and bond the logo back in place.

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.436fbacfd31345972c47d6993671df2f.JPG

IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.379a8ab5693f9742be8c8a2e272a3712.JPG

Hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.

20 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Did I miss the reason why this hasn't been an option all along?

Apart fro the OP wishing to do so without removing the wheels?

The caps will be discarded and new ones fitted, so drive a screw through the old and pull free with pliers. Clean up the recess and push in the new caps... Simples! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links