Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Valley plate issues on GSF’s

The valley plate issue affects pretty much all Toyota UR series engines not just the ISF or even just F cars, it's just the issue is much more common in North America than in Europe, due to their climate and the fact many mass produced UR cars (like the GX460) weren't sold here.

On the plus side the GSF should be immune to the 2UR-GSE's cam guide design flaw as that was fixed for the 2016 model year when the GSF debuted.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, k80 said:

Can you elaborate? Not in that FB group!

have a look here - 10:50 mins in you can see the issue:

some people are speculating that the pink coolant that Toyota are using is causing a failure of the sealant. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

some people are speculating that the pink coolant that Toyota are using is causing a failure of the sealant. 

This has LED some people to even switch to red coolant retroactively. I think the best thing to do is stick to pink coolant, but just change it more often. Every 5 years/50k.

2 hours ago, ubersonic said:

On the plus side the GSF should be immune to the 2UR-GSE's cam guide design flaw as that was fixed for the 2016 model year when the GSF debuted.

@ubersonic I've never heard of the cam guide design flaw ? Would you be able to provide more information about it and a link to any reading material ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4969_LXS said:

@ubersonic I've never heard of the cam guide design flaw ? Would you be able to provide more information about it and a link to any reading material ?

The 2UR-GSE engine had a design flaw with the left side (if you're sitting in the car not standing in front of it) cam chain tensioner, it was rectified for the 2016 model year when Lexus replaced that part with an updated one.

Essentially the issue is that with high mileage (it usually arises some point past 100K) the tensioner will stop working properly until the engine oil is up to temp and the chain will run slack, so until you hit operating temp you will get an intermittent noise that sounds like a train clattering through a split in the tracks.  This is pretty loud, I found out my car had developed it because my friend was behind me at a junction with his window down and heard it (in his fully decatted GTR, lol).

Sadly it's one of those cases where by the time you hear it it's already time to get the cheque book out, and it's not a cheap repair as in addition to fitting the new spec tensioner any reputable garage will also want to replace the chains/etc (as the malfunctioning tensioner could have caused excess damage/wear) and probably the water pump if it's due so it takes a few hours, especially as if they're doing it by the book this is an engine out job.

On the "plus" side, while the noise is super annoying and can be worrisome, there are Americans who have literally lived with it for hundreds of thousands of miles so it doesn't appear to be dangerous if you don't get it fixed.

Lexus EU released a Service Bulletin to help dealers rectify the issue (attached) but no recall was ever issued.

EG-0031L-0516.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, k80 said:

What useful information!! My car is on 70k, so glad to know about this. Thank you for sharing.

It's one of those things that you almost wish will occur before 10 years/100k miles so you can get it fixed under Relax warranty.

Ahh yes I've read about the tensioner, the locking mechanism inside failed causing it to move around. An ISF owner in America has done this repair at his home on axle stands, I think there name is lil Evo from memory. 

https://youtu.be/QnEjU8QtjA8

My car has the 'ISF tick' due to the high pressure fuel pump, the exhaust manifold was done under warranty. I've never noticed any issues with it and everyone says its normal when I've read around. The cam design for the HPFP only has 2 lobes rather than the more common design of 3, so could be a contributing factor. 

If/when the valley plate goes on mine I think I'll go DIY, take my time and pray an Injector clip doesn't break 🤣.

I haven't seen an LC500 suffer this fate yet. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links