Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another surprise from Lexus that is not known to many

On 10/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, royoftherovers said:

Demise of the V6 for the RX.

Thanks for  posting that John. I hope whoever buys my V6 Takumi sees it ! Maybe it will help the older models keep their price ?

I was surprised he thought so much of the CVT but he seems to know what he's talking about. 

40 minutes ago, stringbender said:

Thanks for  posting that John. I hope whoever buys my V6 Takumi sees it ! Maybe it will help the older models keep their price ?

I was surprised he thought so much of the CVT but he seems to know what he's talking about. 

Do you have alink to your RX Alan, I am contemplating a possible change ?

He is well aware that Toyota/Lexus have the E-CVT which is not an ordinary cvt and never breaks down.

He is full of knowledge re Toyotas/Lexus and I watch him all of the time as I do Matt Goodwin of High Peak Autos. 

8 minutes ago, serbarry said:

Are you thinking of replacing your GS?

Possibly Sergio.The RX however might be too big for me and certainly more expensive  to run. I NEED TO THINK VERY DEEPLY

The GS is now warranted until 2025 and should only need servicing for the next 3 years so would be relatively cheap to keep.

If I had a clue what to replace her with I might be tempted to sell sooner rather than later. I've been in an RX since 2004 and like the guy says it's a very nice place to be. I think I've come to take it for granted? I preferred the older gearbox ( even though it wasn't brilliant ) but I can be doing 70 mph and only just over 1,000 rpm ! Also 36 mpg rather than 22.5 !

I wonder how Les is getting on with his Subaru ?

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed one of the last remaining V6s on the used market that was almost new.

Never had anything above 2.0L and this was a one off opportunity to get one.  

Not a big fan of CVTs but this car is ok, you don't really notice it wafting along.  The other thing I like are real buttons and not touch buttons on a screen so

it ticked the boxes for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

I grabbed one of the last remaining V6s on the used market that was almost new.

Never had anything above 2.0L and this was a one off opportunity to get one.  

Not a big fan of CVTs but this car is ok, you don't really notice it wafting along.  The other thing I like are real buttons and not touch buttons on a screen so

it ticked the boxes for me.

Had my V6 for 10 years Dan and it is brilliant.

It is not a CVT as such, it is an e-CVT made by Toyota and unlike any so called CVT on the market. 

The e-CVT is thoroughly reliable and that cannot be said of any other transmission produced by anyone else.

Continue to enjoy yours.

• Like 2

It took a bit of getting used to.  I still like the conventional auto transmission but with the V6 the car does pick up speed nicely.  I think if it was on a smaller engine it would be noticeably worse.

2 hours ago, Sybaris said:

It took a bit of getting used to.  I still like the conventional auto transmission but with the V6 the car does pick up speed nicely.  I think if it was on a smaller engine it would be noticeably worse.

The eCVT does require a different style of driving to a conventional automatic. I’m now on my third Lexus with eCVT (two NX and my current RX) and ‘wafting’ describes it well. You need to be much more progressive with the right foot - initially I was trying to ‘kick down’ and all that happens is the revs rise.

With awareness of how it works, and driving to get the best out of it, I can safely say I’d be loathed to go back to either;

- a traditional torque converter automatic with four or five gears where you need to kick down (with associated jerkiness and noise), or;

- one of those hateful DSG gearboxes with the relentless ‘hunting’ for the right gear, delays and power loss when slowing down and then needing to speed up (as when approaching a roundabout)…and I certainly don’t miss the frequent repairs and inconvenience  when the stupid thing went wrong!

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links