Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just needs a little TLC, maybe not!

Just spotted this on Fleabay, £2500 for a 1997 LS400 MOT failure which the bit of a car dealer seller describes as needing a few brake pipes!

https://tinyurl.com/yc2w75bd

Let’s have a look at the MOT failures and the “honest” description.

As usual my MIG welder is available to any potential buyers 😀

38CE96B0-E987-4431-9ED9-DCE143D36708.png

9755365B-EBBA-4A24-8A5A-8EB52CE37071.png

• Like 2

Probably not a car you would be interested in.

Our CT just passed with everything perfect. Like expected. 2 weeks after big service with transmission oil and new plugs plus all the normal. 80.147km and they called it a 90K km service.

1 minute ago, Tinonline said:

Classic! Fails even non trade description requirements.

Value scrap.

👍🧐

I should add my 2000 LS 400 passed MOT.

Tester said just change the rear tyres for next year. That’s all.

And on advisories: well clean the steering rack of a bit of oil seepage.  (Doesn’t need top up) and wire brush top rear spring and suspension mounts and apply some Q rust.

I was gutted…🧐🤣

The discription is aimed at someone who as just arrived from another planet and does not know anything about any vehicle defects that might occur on a twenty five year  old Lexus LS400.

This car as the same rust problems I had on my Mark 1 and that virtually consigned it to the scrap yard.

It also says a lot about the general care and maintenance this example as recieved because the rust problems were virtually illiminated by the time the mark 4 was introduced.

• Like 2

this is a Mk3 and at that low mileage I'm a little surprised at the rust issues tbh .......... she must have lain somewhere unused by the coast and under high tide from time to time !

Might be the vendor is just being over cautious so's no one can come back and sue for misrepresentation AND it might be that the MOT Tester had a bit of a downer that day too

previous owner since 2008, some 14 years and he's changed the amber lenses so at some stage he's probably cared for the car ............. maybe even changed the cambelt etc at 100k miles too ............. . I can't see the label telling all BUT I can see a proper Toyota Yuasa Battery !

At half that price I'd maybe take a punt and get a fresh MOT Tester involved and with Steve's help and his mig welder ( or some one else's ) one might have a very fine car 

Be a pity to see another Mk3 go to the scrapper for what could be a relatively tiny investment 

Malc

• Like 2

I see it as not so much a “tiny” job Malc.

Wheel arch rot, sill rot, suspension mounting rot, by the time you have cut back to good steel you will be faced with hours of fabrication, welding, grinding and painting.

There was a post a few years ago where a member did a similar repair on an IS200 faced with multilayer sills and arch repairs. Ended up weeks of DIY work but imagine the cost if done by a professional.

By coincidence brake hoses were on Rockauto clearance last week for a few $$$, the oil leaks mentioned are probably seals and rocker cover gaskets but getting hold of OEM springs has become a challenge.

• Like 2

My understanding is that cars have to be roadworthy in order to be sold as "used".

Without a valid MOT, and all the failures, then surely it should only be able to sold as "for spares or repair".

With both near and offside sills and wheels arches corroeded to the point of failure, I imagine it would be quite an expensive project.

• Like 2

going on about this one ..........  a rare Mk3 with not bad looking bodywork ........ the rust repairs might be a chore BUT think what you'd have to pay to get a luxo barge V8 in " sound " nick these days .......  especially a Lexus

Pleased I'm not in the market for one ( yet, touch wood ) otherwise methinks I'd be looking at it with a view to some economic " just needed " restoration to get it thru the MOT 

cars are consumables and to restore at much cost £££ and not to use the car is a bit criminal to my mind ........... and then you're in the real world of more dings and dents and simple knocks that insurers write them off for 

I don't know !   ..  £1500 maybe 🤔

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Pleased I'm not in the market for one ( yet, touch wood ) otherwise methinks I'd be looking at it with a view to some economic " just needed " restoration to get it thru the MOT 

I've done the "just needed" touch ups on a previous car, and it only resulted in the same issues recurring a year or so down the road.

There's also the possibility of further issues that weren't picked up as part of the MOT. The front carpets look as though they might have been soaked at some point, and there's quite few rusty bits in the engine bay. My car's a 2009 and cosmetically looks almost new in comparison. It really doesn't look like a well looked after car.

I suppose someone with time and acccess to the right equipment might be able to make it a viable proposition, but for anyone else it could just be a long term money pit. Which is the opposite of what most people look for in a Lexus.

• Like 4

On 10/28/2022 at 9:40 AM, PCM said:

But..."it looks and drives really well", [ without an MOT? ] so what could possibly go wrong?!

Well sounds like it might drive well, but possibly not stop quite so well

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links