Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent replacement of 2008 GS450h

My car was written off last week (other party has accepted fullliability, insurance has settled). I've been trying to source a replacement for my 2008, 56k miles previously great condition GS450h. Just come back to Wigan from a trip to Leicester where I found the car I went to see (very nice red exterior with cream over black interior) wasn't comparable spec. On the way back, I called at a garage in Manchester who have, I think, just what I'm looking for (except for exterior colour). It was dark and raining so I'll go back tomorrow, but the only thing I'm concerned about is that the car was originally from Jersey. I have no idea whether this fact is relevant (on a 2012 car). Also advert has no mention of service history.

Any comments, advice?

I think you have to pay to move a car to Jersey and have a proper inspection, far more involved than mot (from me selling an XJR to a chap in Jersey years ago) but not sure on coming back. However so long as they have the v5c showing UK DVLa registered etc, I wouldn't expect any issues more so than with a UK car (I'd expect it to be in better condition if their checks more detailed than UK, unless sent to UK as failed over there 🤔)

I say treat the same as a UK car and can't go to far wrong, just make sure they have papers from DVLA, don't want an import fee when you try to get your v5c (its a PITA!)

Good luck 🤞

47 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Sandro, do you till drive your Ls400 ?

Malc

Sadly no. It had to go to scrap. It had been left on the drive too long, damp had got in and mould appeared on the leather. That plus all the other things wrong with it meant it was a no-hoper 😞

• Sad 1

Thanks, Robert.

In the end, I called a local dealer to see how they would react to a car being ex-Jersey and they didn't seem worried. I went back to see the GS450h in daylight, but the seller unfortunately hadn't had the time (inclination?) to prepare (scrape the mud off, empty the boot and passenger footwell!) the car and wouldn't budge on a price I thought was too high so I left it. 

Still looking, but beginning to think I may be being too closed-minded and might have to look at alternatives 😞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malc1 said:

ah ha !!  maybe an Ls400 then  😁

Malc

Funnily, where I looked at the GS450h in Manchester - the dealer had imported a Celsior (~ 1999 LS400) but was expecting £7k!!! Not a very appealing (to me) colour scheme either - white over grey.

• 4 weeks later...

@steve2006 - just seen your post - yup, that's the one I saw.

I'm still really struggling to find a replacement for my dearly departed GS450h - any which are remotely attractive are 200 miles away and being offered by outfits which have apparently less-then-stellar reputations.

What would the panel suggest as an alternative marque / model. I'm looking for Hybrid petrol, same size, sub 6 second, pale leather interior, super quiet and transmission as seamless as the GS.

I'm tentatively considering an IS300h (too small, too slow) or an RX450h (too big, too agricultural in comparison to the GS).

Alternatively, anyone considering selling their GS450h (fourth generation) ??

• 2 months later...

Hi, folks,

Just an update: I hve put a deposit on a 2014 F-Sport GS450h, <40k miles.

https://www.globalautomobiles.co.uk/used-lexus-gs-blackburn-lancashire-4932965

on condition it goes for service to Lexus and gets the Hybrid Health check / warranty.

Wish me luck - it's quite a bit over the budget I'd set myself.

My New Car.jpg

My New Car 2.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

so how much is this delight costing you  ?

Malc

Just shy of £21k 😥  It'll have to do me for a few years - but I'm used to that, I've had only three cars in 31 years and over 1/2 million miles.

56 minutes ago, Werewolf1976 said:

Curious about the Sport+ mode -report back when you can

Will do. However, given the state of today's roads, traffic and legal restrictions, I doubt I'll be able to provide any meaningful info 🤣

In my previous GS450h, I failed to notice any difference between normal and sports modes - maybe they were faulty or maybe I just didn't "work" the car enough to bring the difference to the fore.

9 hours ago, Initial P said:

Sports + is AVS it hardens up the suspension & makes for a harsh ride on the 19" F Sports tyres.

Indeed. But it does make the car feel a lot more agile when going fast through a series of bends and the ride isn't too bad on 18" wheels. Reduces roll, too. It also stiffens up the steering, but not in any useful way. It just feels as if there is more friction in the steering column

On 2/26/2023 at 9:38 AM, hazelnut said:

oo Nice shade of red. I note on eBay the GS450h MK4 inverters are selling for much less than the MK3 inverters. I interpret this as the MK4 inverter is much more reliable than the MK3.  

GS4 was probably the last great Toyota saloon ever made with the hybrid being perfected by then.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links