Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2 year/24,000 mile service diff oil change?

Good evening ladies/gents,

Just had my IS300h serviced yesterday, 2 years old & covered 6,800 miles.

It was it's 2 year/24,000miles service & I have a 3 year service plan with them.

I checked the service bill & there was no mention of changing the differential oil even though my Lexus manual mentions it should be changed every 2 years/24,000 miles.

I spoke with the service dept today & they told me it is model specific & mine does not need changing until 60,000 miles.

I am not too concerned as my mileage is so low, but are they just missing it out as I have a service plan & it is money in their pocket by not changing it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

I am not too concerned as my mileage is so low, but are they just missing it out as I have a service plan & it is money in their pocket by not changing it?

I doubt it very much.

That could be a condition of servicing in other countries where it would get more hammer.

• Like 1

If your car is around 5 years old its good practice to have it done. It gets rid of the small metal particles that settled in during the wear in process that usually happens within the 1st 5-10k miles. The drain plug is magnetic & it does grab tiny metal bits.

Since the diff is sealed & the oil does not mix with petrol or go through a burn cycle it has a very easy life. I did mine at 50k /2015 reg to be fair the oil looked fresh, however the drain plug magnetic had black sludge.  After changing it felt alot smoother.

My recommendation on it is get it done once & then forget about it peace of mind more than anything else.

Although looking on youtube owners of older Lexus models have left theirs for 10-15 years especially on the older GS models without any ill effects. 

Focus on the drain plug magnet

20220805_172954.jpg

20220805_173145.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bounce75 said:

I spoke with the service dept today & they told me it is model specific & mine does not need changing until 60,000 miles.

Unless they changed the schedule for the youngest IS300h (which I doubt) he is talking rubbish. The standard service interval for the rear diff oil is every major service (be that every 20k miles for personal use, 25k miles if you are on the extended business schedule or every 30,000 km (18k miles) in Europe).

The diff oil was always changed at a major service on my 300h, and as you say it is clearly written in the schedule that comes with the vehicle.

In Europe they do state every 4 years as a time interval if you aren't doing the mileage:

image.thumb.png.79554cd9317ea42eabf2691e2b268144.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 10:32 AM, rayaans said:

bcdqDex.jpg

Yep - old photo so dont look at the spark plugs. But the rear differential oil definitely appears to need changing every 20k/4 years

Where do I find this @rayaans ? is it in the User Guide?
I'm due for service tomorrow and I would not like them to miss it. I printed the screengrab from @ColinBarber 's post above.

7 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Where do I find this @rayaans ? is it in the User Guide?
I'm due for service tomorrow and I would not like them to miss it. I printed the screengrab from @ColinBarber 's post above.

Its in the service booklet - the one you get stamped

8 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

They kept clinging on to the tune of "oh it says model dependent" without saying what that meant and saying it's ok and due later on.... not happy with them to be honest.

It should be changed every 20k miles / 2 years at the major service according to the Lexus service schedule. If you have been charged the service price as per the Lexus website then you haven't had the service that is included in that price. Personally, I'd be looking to take the car elsewhere next time if the dealer can't follow a written schedule and is now fobbing you off with such a lame excuse and would report this to Lexus UK customer relations.

12 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

They kept clinging on to the tune of "oh it says model dependent" without saying what that meant and saying it's ok and due later on.... not happy with them to be honest.

The service books have items listed that are model dependent because it is a generic list and the CT200h for example doesn't have a rear diff so doesn't apply to that model (but it clearly states that). However the IS300h requires it as per the service book and Lexus service schedule. It was always changed by my Lexus dealer on all major services.

This thread made me check our IS service history, till 3 years old it was under a main dealer 'service pack'. Never really paid any attention to what was done or not done, just assume Lexus main dealer would follow the official  schedule but it appears not based on the official receipt 🙄.

Am not really sure why Lexus thinks the differential oil needs replacing so often, even on much higher performance machines I've never seen such demands for differential servicing, but still bizzar a Lexus main dealer don't follow Lexus official schedule.

I've moved to doing the oil change every 2 years on the car now anyways, but next year I'll get the local independent garage to replace the differential oil as we have no plans swapping the IS300H for anything else.

52542563833_a6a78dc3a3_k_d.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ganzoom said:

This thread made me check our IS service history, till 3 years old it was under a main dealer 'service pack'. Never really paid any attention to what was done or not done, just assume Lexus main dealer would follow the official  schedule but it appears not based on the official receipt 🙄.

Am not really sure why Lexus thinks the differential oil needs replacing so often, even on much higher performance machines I've never seen such demands for differential servicing, but still bizzar a Lexus main dealer don't follow Lexus official schedule.

I've moved to doing the oil change every 2 years on the car now anyways, but next year I'll get the local independent garage to replace the differential oil as we have no plans swapping the IS300H for anything else.

52542563833_a6a78dc3a3_k_d.jpg

Other than your oil & filter change the rest of the list are 'inspection' items & majority of it are the mandatory checks on the annual MOT.  Is it really worth paying out so much for a check box? Appreciate with the added benefit of a Lexus service stamp but in truth none of the offerings are benefit to you if the inspection revealed drive shaft boot is torn for example you would have to pay extra at main dealer prices to rectify it & I can only assume wear & tear items are not covered under the Lexus Relax scheme. Interesting to see what people buy into on the Sales front buy X package & we will look after your car for X number of years dissapointing to see main dealer network skimp on certain items.

3 hours ago, IS300FSPORT said:

Interesting to see what people buy into on the Sales front buy X package & we will look after your car for X number of years dissapointing to see main dealer network skimp on certain items.

Luckily (or unluckily) the service pack came 'free' with the car, in addition to a 20%+ reduction on list price for a custom order car, permier spec with 17inch wheels+advanced safety pack.

So the overall the 'deal' was very good. I normally NEVER use main dealers, and this thread is the latest confirmation main dealer are essentially a total waste of time and money.

if I did my job by essentially lying all the time, I would be sacked in under a week, yet committing fraud seems to be how main dealers operate day to day.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 8:23 AM, wharfhouse said:

It should be changed every 20k miles / 2 years at the major service according to the Lexus service schedule. If you have been charged the service price as per the Lexus website then you haven't had the service that is included in that price. Personally, I'd be looking to take the car elsewhere next time if the dealer can't follow a written schedule and is now fobbing you off with such a lame excuse and would report this to Lexus UK customer relations.

Exactly. It was partly my fault: I had quite a few questions and I got derailed after the "model dependent" excuse but they should not have dismissed me to begin with. Needless to say, of course I will be taking my car elsewhere next time. I'm thinking about (as you say) reporting this to Lexus.
The latest episode of this lame series is I called in, told them it needed to be done and the guy on the phone was initially reluctant, and ended up saying "ok we'll do it free of charge this time" and I was like "What? this is something I paid for and you should have done" [I was thinking are you kidding me?]
So that means they KNEW it had not been done, because they didn't even tried to argue that it had.
Long story short, I was booked this morning and I demanded a video of the diff oil change. So it's finally done. It only cost me another trip and wasting half the morning on Satuday.  🤬
They kinda apologised and thanked me for understanding etc.... all bluff because they lost all credibility with me.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:35 AM, ganzoom said:

Luckily (or unluckily) the service pack came 'free' with the car, in addition to a 20%+ reduction on list price for a custom order car, permier spec with 17inch wheels+advanced safety pack.

So the overall the 'deal' was very good. I normally NEVER use main dealers, and this thread is the latest confirmation main dealer are essentially a total waste of time and money.

if I did my job by essentially lying all the time, I would be sacked in under a week, yet committing fraud seems to be how main dealers operate day to day.

I have been thinking and both alternatives are bad: They service cars all the time so:

• if they "didn't know" it means they don't know their own service books.
  • If they did know it is even worse because it means there was ill will.

Anyway, as said BE VIGILANT. I thin some Lexus dealerships ride the wave of the brand name knowing people trust them. And of course these people have disappointed me so much I'm never taking my car there again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Exactly. It was partly my fault: I had quite a few questions and I got derailed after the "model dependent" excuse but they should not have dismissed me to begin with. Needless to say, of course I will be taking my car elsewhere next time. I'm thinking about (as you say) reporting this to Lexus.
The latest episode of this lame series is I called in, told them it needed to be done and the guy on the phone was initially reluctant, and ended up saying "ok we'll do it free of charge this time" and I was like "What? this is something I paid for and you should have done" [I was thinking are you kidding me?]
So that means they KNEW it had not been done, because they didn't even tried to argue that it had.
Long story short, I was booked this morning and I demanded a video of the diff oil change. So it's finally done. It only cost me another trip and wasting half the morning on Satuday.  🤬
They kinda apologised and thanked me for understanding etc.... all bluff because they lost all credibility with me.

I have been thinking and both alternatives are bad: They service cars all the time so:

• if they "didn't know" it means they don't know their own service books.
  • If they did know it is even worse because it means there was ill will.

Anyway, as said BE VIGILANT. I thin some Lexus dealerships ride the wave of the brand name knowing people trust them. And of course these people have disappointed me so much I'm never taking my car there again.

Not good is it, I had my car serviced last year as well 1st service & they didn't bother changing the cabin filter, so I had to take it back to get them to do it.. They still tell me the diff oil change is not due yet as mileage is so low & it is only due at 4 years not 2, I did point out its in the service guide & they said it is a guide for all models in different countries.

Just out of curiosity I see you are from Kent, what dealership do you use? I use Maidstone Lexus.

15 hours ago, Bounce75 said:

Not good is it, I had my car serviced last year as well 1st service & they didn't bother changing the cabin filter, so I had to take it back to get them to do it.. They still tell me the diff oil change is not due yet as mileage is so low & it is only due at 4 years not 2, I did point out its in the service guide & they said it is a guide for all models in different countries.

Just out of curiosity I see you are from Kent, what dealership do you use? I use Maidstone Lexus.

It was Maidstone lexus

Also, what's your mileage? Because it's funny they told you it wasn't due until the 4th year, but my car has just had it's 4th bday and it's about to hit 20K miles. The IS300h service book says it's at 20k miles or 4 years, whatever comes first.

P.S. I'm going to check if they changed the cabin filter tomorrow. Too cold today to even step outside 🥶

Hi, Just to add, I think the Lexus documentation is all over the place and uses conflicting wording/descriptions in "Diff"erent places. The service booklet does indeed say 20K/2Yrs However, the service sheet for the guy who's going to work on your vehicles it says at 20K check Rear diff levels top up if required/ change 4th year, which would roughly be 50K if on Business User.  

I have been driving now for 40 years and have always done exceptionally high milages, mainly in RWD cars and 60K has always been the norm for a diff change. 

9 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

It was Maidstone lexus

Also, what's your mileage? Because it's funny they told you it wasn't due until the 4th year, but my car has just had it's 4th bday and it's about to hit 20K miles. The IS300h service book says it's at 20k miles or 4 years, whatever comes first.

P.S. I'm going to check if they changed the cabin filter tomorrow. Too cold today to even step outside 🥶

Mine has only covered 7,000 miles, that's why they said not necessary.

16 hours ago, JackIS said:

Hi, Just to add, I think the Lexus documentation is all over the place and uses conflicting wording/descriptions in "Diff"erent places. The service booklet does indeed say 20K/2Yrs However, the service sheet for the guy who's going to work on your vehicles it says at 20K check Rear diff levels top up if required/ change 4th year, which would roughly be 50K if on Business User.  

I have been driving now for 40 years and have always done exceptionally high milages, mainly in RWD cars and 60K has always been the norm for a diff change. 

That's good to know, thank you @JackIS .

Maybe the brand should do a better job of wording things clearly and be more transparent when it comes to this. Not only on written materials but above all on the car infotainment system: the use of language is sometimes vague, sometimes misleading. Anyway, I digress. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links