Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Question - auto high beam

How does the auto high beam work? Does the beam turn off or does it create a non blinding spot for oncoming vehicles? Not sure if I explained it properly. Thanks! 

29 minutes ago, Pm4 said:

How does the auto high beam work? Does the beam turn off or does it create a non blinding spot for oncoming vehicles? Not sure if I explained it properly. Thanks! 

It depends what grade you have. If you have the 450h+ with Premium Plus pack, F Sport or Takumi then you have full adaptive matrix style high beams. If you have the 450h+ with premium pack then you just have standard auto on/off of the high beam.

6 minutes ago, Pm4 said:

Will seem strange not to lower the beam on oncoming traffic! 

You can see the beam move away from the outer right slightly when it detects oncoming traffic, almost like a shadow has appeared to your right.

TBH I don’t think the headlights on main beam are as good as the AHB system we had on our 2018 RX. They seem to lack distance on main beam but are the same as the RX on dipped beam

• Thanks 1

You should be able to tell when you start the car (and it's dark!) as the headlamps will do their little 'dance' as they come on. If you have the simple on/off main beam they will just go up and down. If you have the full matrix style they will also sweep left and right.

Alternatively sign up to lexus-tech.eu and input your VIN for a complete build spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Premium model operates as Colin explained. The switching is slower than I would do manually (mostly) but on-coming cars don't flash me so I guess it's okay. It occasionally gets confused but, overall, it is one of the few automatic aids that I am happy to have switched on. I would describe the main-beam performance as adequate but, like Paul, I have had cars with better and I would like better. Happy with the dipped beam performance though; that is probably an improvement over my previous vehicles.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hintonwood said:

When selecting a title name please include a reference to the subject…. E.g. High Beam Question. 

That way we can be selective in which posts are relevant. Thanks.

Quite right, will do so in the future, cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tried using mine. the auto detect / dip works fine, but the human eye is quicker noticing on coming traffic. Had a few instances where I get inpatient oncoming drivers flashing me like there's a black Friday sale on flashing your lights. 

Alex,

I stopped using it on my 2020 UX for the same reason of being constantly flashed.

After using the 2022 NX version on many occasions I am really impressed and have only been flashed once. I think the latest version is a huge step forward in technology.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dave 2951 said:

I find it very good with once concern that another vehicle may think I am granting them to pull out from side junctions.

I use the Auto High Beam and have no concern Dave because the change in beam is not an instant on/off flash type transition. It is more like a fluid transition gradually changing the shape of the area lit up.

• Like 1

Drove approx 100mls last night on A,B and dual carriageways with the adaptive headlamps on and it wonderful to watch how the shadow moves across the road following approaching cars and how the dipped range reduces as one approaches the car in front. The full beam spread and range alters as one's speed changes as well, very impressed

Didn't get flashed the whole journey 👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the full adaptive high beams and am getting flashed regularly, particularly after overtaking on motorways and dual-carriageways.    One think that I am not sure of:  In complete darkness on country roads, no traffic and no ambient light at all, the full beams seem to light up only 10 - 15 metres ahead, when I pull the headlight stalk towards me, the entire road is illuminated briefly for quite a long distance.   I would have though that the full illumination would be default when driving on a completely dark, empty road?

The system allows for activation at lower speeds, down to 9mph but not in the EU. There are a number of different settings and beam spreads that can be used outside the EU, just that cars coded for UK/EU cannot have them activated, I've asked...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links