Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Poor fuel economy 250h

Not sure what’s going on but my 250h has started returning really poor mpg - mid to high 40mpg rather than mid 50’s - similar journeys and no real change in driving style - is it really that temperature sensitive as it’s started getting cooler or is it rubbish fuel? Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Just now, Nelsthebass said:

Not sure what’s going on but my 250h has started returning really poor mpg - mid to high 40mpg rather than mid 50’s - similar journeys and no real change in driving style - is it really that temperature sensitive as it’s started getting cooler or is it rubbish fuel? Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

That's normal for this time of year 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

That's normal for this time of year 

I’ve had many cars over the years and never experienced a 20% drop in fuel economy in winter (unfortunately I’m particularly anal about recording real mpg)

30 minutes ago, Nelsthebass said:

I’ve had many cars over the years and never experienced a 20% drop in fuel economy in winter (unfortunately I’m particularly anal about recording real mpg)

Seems high given it hasn't been that cold yet but hybrids particularly suffer a drop in economy during winter. One of the main reasons is the ICE has to run more often to maintain the coolant temperature to heat the cabin. If you turn off the climate system and use seat heaters/wheel to keep warm and you will see an improvement.

Also, an obvious one, is to check your tyre pressures as they drop in cold temperatures.

I had an NX and a Toyota Camry hybrid and neither of those suffered from this issue - never had to turn heating off in any car before…Tbf I used to bet significantly better mpg from the Camry with a 2.5L engine and as such am a little disappointed with the UX

The general case with any car is that fuel consumption will deteriorate in the winter, heated steering wheel, heated seats, headlights, fall in Battery efficiency and so on. All this energy has to come from somewhere which is ultimately the petrol you buy for a hybrid in this case.

My previous car, a Kia Niro diesel also suffered the same due to above and combustion efficiency also suffers in cold weather.

Bill D

Just returned home after 300 ish mile run, motorway, city traffic, day time, night time, lights heated steering wheel etc at times, total 49.3 mpg, about 7 to 8 down on summer figures but stilll pretty good I reckon for a 2 litre car. (video going round of woman who couldn't understand why with fuel at £1.8 per litre it was costing her over 40 quid to fill up when she only had a two litre car)

Bill D.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Barring one distance run at the end of November, high 40's is all I've managed for months. 

As already mentioned though, I always get poorer economy during the colder/winter months. Especially during any particularly cold snap during my drive to/from work where the lights are on practically all the time, my heated seat is on for most of those drives, plus use of the heated wheel first thing in the morning... 

I would expect to start seeing an improvement as we head into the spring.

I am on my second UX. bought in September 2021, still only done 3,800 miles. Never reset the fuel consumption figure, I am on 48.1 mpg. Always drive in Economy mode as I find it softer and more relaxed around town.
So all short journeys and virtually no motorways. 

You can all blame it on temperature as cold in winter is normal where you are.

What do I blame it on? Temperature at night here is very seldom below 15°C. But here we have mountains.

Pancake flat countries seems to be better for hybrid than a tiny island where up and down is normal.

Around 6.8 – 7L/100km is what we have here in consume, 98 octanes Super SHELL or BP. Car serviced always with Lexus and they tell me that consume is normal.

The 3.8L/100km Lexus claimed the CT would consume can be taken with whichever kind of honesty you consider OK. All factories claim something a bit better than real life show.

We do like the tiny car and it brings us around and all is great. We live with the extra fuel in the CT compared to the Golf 2.0tdi DSG 2005 we had before. 5L/100km diesel. The CT has no black clouds out of the exhaust pipe.

Next car will definitely not be a hybrid if fuel consume is considered.

20230208_172517.thumb.jpg.5557f426a41550566d9f3579cc3c023c.jpg

20230214_134206.thumb.jpg.04a78cf725aab0ff6d46eafa8d461726.jpg

15 hours ago, fourbanks said:

Short distances in the winter, expect to get around 40 MPG long distance 50 MPG long motorway 60 MPG 

Motorway driving just kills the hybrid economy as it rarely runs on Battery unless driven at lower speeds than 60mph (like all the Tesla drivers hypermiling😂) I usually get best mpg on mixed speeds on A and B roads but even though it’s been so mild recently mpg is continuing to fall - it’s due it’s first service in March so will see if they have an answer

F95D9D24-0587-4209-B982-2891DD1A4B38.thumb.png.013f036387cf490f3e2f71766d9b2f4f.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paul  been having a few PC problems hence late reply reply.

Soo I think I have spotted maybe a clue to your question to me having seen your post on new tyre time,  I'm a fairly quick driver' !!!

It has it's consequences Paul.

Bill D.

36 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

Paul  been having a few PC problems hence late reply reply.

Soo I think I have spotted maybe a clue to your question to me having seen your post on new tyre time,  I'm a fairly quick driver' !!!

It has it's consequences Paul.

Bill D.

😂😂😂😂😂👍

• 3 weeks later...

It's been quite a long, drawn out winter. Therefore I do expect poorer consumption. In recent months, going back and forth to work I've been getting anywhere between 48.1mpg and 48.5mpg. You have to account for the use of lights, heated seats and occasional heated steering wheel into that mix - so I don't think it's done too badly at all to be honest. I'm reasonably happy with that. 👍

The only slight disappointing figure I've had over this winter is when I had to head down to Suffolk to visit my brother - so in the region of 230/235 miles from where I am. Whilst it did include some use of heated seats - I'd be surprised if they were used for more than 30 miles in that trip (setting off from home and after our half-hour or so stop...). I'm quite a relaxed driver who'll quite happily sit at 60-65mph. It only scraped above 50mpg. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was something like 50.5 or 50.6mpg. I honestly thought it would be a little better than that - around 53/54mpg given the distance and gentle driving. On the same trip around four months prior to that, it was somewhere in the high fifties so I'm not sure if I just had a bad batch of fuel or this winter in particular was particularly harsh on economy figures. 

I have another distance trip to do on Monday, up into the North East and back again (something I've done four or five times in recent years. It's around a 340 mile round-drip). I'll be resetting my average mpg count and see how well I do, hopefully getting it comfortably above 50mpg given the weather should now hopefully be starting to warm up a little! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links