Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

low power from usb and 12V outlet

Hi,

Ever since I bought my '16 luxuxry line nx300h a few months back, this has been bugging me.

I have a 12v/230v inverter that I plug in to the 12V in the middel arm rest. But it keeps shutting down after 10 to 20 seconds. I never experienced this in my last car (mits. Outlander '15). also the one usb port barely charges my phone. using the extra usb port on the inverter works okayish. I installed an aftermarket usb c usb a socket to the right of te (LHD) steering wheel. I tapped in to tthe footwell lighting LED for power. That also seems very underpowered and when in use dims the footwell led's a little. In between clients I like to charge my laptop through the inverter. that charger is rated at about 40 watt which would boil down to about 3,3A draw from the 12V socket. Even just just the samsung fastcharger in the inverter, will make it shut off.

It just feels like by design the factory outlets and other circuitry are very low current. Somewhat easy solution would be installing heavier gauge wiring straight from the Battery with an extra inline fuse, but I like the idea of the car shutting down auxiliary stuff at low Battery which offcourse wouldn't be the case with a direct feed.

Has anyone experienced the same problem with Lexus and found a solution? I can live with the outdated multimedia system as a trade of to the beautiful in and exterior design, but the lack of charging power is unbecoming.

2 hours ago, Moleman said:

Have one like this. Tiny enough not to be noticed. Actually completely hidden.

image.thumb.png.68a64e7f47ef943d17e7a67f2b6e84bd.png

22 hours ago, Herbie said:

The USB sockets usually provide 5V at 500mA.

You need something like this to see what's going on.

That is a great gadget i didn't know existed! 0.5A is just not cutting it. I guess i'm going to have to do some wiring

Would it be easiest to route along the left side door sils, or is there an easier connection somewhere in the dash?

I had a similar problem in my 2007 Prius. If I plugged my phone in at 50% and used it as a Satnav, it would only seem to replace what the phone was using. Unplugged at the end of a journey would still see the phone at 50%, ie no increase. 

Purchasing an uprated cigarette adapter solved the problem, charging the phone to 100% in no time. 

On 11/30/2022 at 10:40 PM, TimNX300h said:

I have a 12v/230v inverter that I plug in to the 12V in the middel arm rest. But it keeps shutting down after 10 to 20 seconds. I never experienced this in my last car (mits. Outlander '15).

There is no current limiting on the 12 V outlet other than the 15 A fuse that protects the wiring. Either your inverter has developed a fault or you aren't getting a good connection with the socket.

Unless you are trying to use this when not in Ready mode? If so your aux Battery is low and you really shouldn't try and use anything in the vehicle without being in Ready as you will discharge the aux Battery very quickly.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links