Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Cap Not Opening

31 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It`s due to my ageing body and poor health, Phil.

Full LSH, 67,000 and without problems.

Will advertise on here after xmas.

NX is much easier to access and egress for me.

Ah OK - will be a shame to see you part with the GS - my wife is starting to struggle getting in and out of my IS 300h as it's very low - I think she would like me to get something like the NX for the same reason. Enjoy your new car.

• Thanks 1

Even stranger, my dealer (Hatfield) is telling me that Lexus are still working on a fix (NX450h+), let alone getting it adjusted now or replacement part.  Flap was frozen shut this morning, and when I went to use the little lever inside the boot panel, it snapped off!!!

First world problem, I know, but to pay this much for a car and the first thing to go wrong is you can’t open the fuel cap… 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just saw this thread and glad to see I’m not alone, hopefully Lexus will work on a solution as it isn’t just an isolated occurrence

i have been told that mine needs a new actuator which has been back ordered and isn’t due in until 24th December so I’m guessing I’m waiting until the new year. Worryingly I was also told that any damage caused will be fixed at the same time! (I should hope so!).

Fortunately we can open the flap as a two-person job with one pressing the button and the other prising the flap so going to the fuel station just needs a bit more planning than normal

1 hour ago, SA1 said:

Just saw this thread and glad to see I’m not alone, hopefully Lexus will work on a solution as it isn’t just an isolated occurrence

i have been told that mine needs a new actuator which has been back ordered and isn’t due in until 24th December so I’m guessing I’m waiting until the new year. Worryingly I was also told that any damage caused will be fixed at the same time! (I should hope so!).

Fortunately we can open the flap as a two-person job with one pressing the button and the other prising the flap so going to the fuel station just needs a bit more planning than normal

Do what my dealer did to effect a temporary repair - place a foam sponge between the tank cap and the flap. It's enough to allow the flap to be pushed open when you hit the button. No longer a two person job!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Do what my dealer did to effect a temporary repair - place a foam sponge between the tank cap and the flap. It's enough to allow the flap to be pushed open when you hit the button. No longer a two person job!

I’ll give that a go, thanks. Fortunately with the EV mode I don’t need to fill up that often 😅

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 9:11 PM, SA1 said:

If this happens again and you are on your own, there is a way of manually releasing the flap from within the boot area, as follows:-

Open the boot - on the same side as the flap you will see a square cut-out in the boot lining (just above the small netted pocket). Carefully remove this cut-out (using a blunt instrument or a trim removal tool). Put your right hand in the hole and feel for a small lever. Gently pull the lever towards you and prise open the flap with the fingers of your left hand at the same time.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

On 12/8/2022 at 10:10 PM, The_Doctor said:

Having experienced this problem myself a couple of weeks ago I had mine at a dealer today and they said the mechanism needs replacing; the part is on order and all they can suggest is to use the internal release (which I also struggled with ...) in the meantime. Part expected by 23 December, I wonder if it's coming on a sleigh?!

Not Coming on The FAST Boat Then..lol

On 12/16/2022 at 10:14 PM, Ken R said:

Never thought of that..Good advice.!!!

• Like 1

I imagine that you know the saga of LC500 fuel flaps. I have had all the modifications offered by Lexus and have resorted to a foam pad to pop open the flap as required.

This works as did the much more simple mechanism on the first generation NX. Why over-engineer things? Do we really need a remote release?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

Do we really need a remote release?

No, I usually forget to press the release button after years of just walking around to the fuel flap and pushing against the spring loaded mechanism.

Now I have to get out of the car & walk to the fuel flap, press it until I realise that I have to release it from inside the car, return to drivers seat, press the release button and go back to fuel flap.

God help me if mine sticks and if you’re in a hurry don’t get behind me at a fuel pump🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marlinleg said:

Dealership this morning they asked if doors are sticking in the freezing weather saying it's the door switch that's freezing 

Doors certainly more difficult to open when the temperatures were 4 or 5 below!

• Like 1

Think it's a good thing I don't have to fuel very often as I'm also very used to just pressing on the flap to release, as that's what I've done on the previous six Lexus!

Just the once so far and I did have to walk back to the driver's seat to press the button, which worked thankfully!

Don't understand why it isn't the same as the charging one?!?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marlinleg said:

Yes I would like to know how you opened it Doc😳

With the lever behind the panel in the boot, but it took some doing even then.

Meanwhile the part is in (allegedly) and booked in again for early January to have it fixed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 9:09 PM, The_Doctor said:

Meanwhile the part is in (allegedly) and booked in again for early January to have it fixed.

Happy new year!

Please keep in touch on how the replacement part goes. At the moment I’m using the “sponge method” but would be interested to see if anything works from the dealer.

On 12/18/2022 at 4:37 PM, RXtoNX said:

No, I usually forget to press the release button after years of just walking around to the fuel flap and pushing against the spring loaded mechanism.

Now I have to get out of the car & walk to the fuel flap, press it until I realise that I have to release it from inside the car, return to drivers seat, press the release button and go back to fuel flap.

God help me if mine sticks and if you’re in a hurry don’t get behind me at a fuel pump🙄

Drive amazing, they used to say !

Losing the plot I feel.

5 hours ago, SA1 said:

Happy new year!

Please keep in touch on how the replacement part goes. At the moment I’m using the “sponge method” but would be interested to see if anything works from the dealer.

It's booked in tomorrow (Friday) so I will report back in due course ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SA1 said:

Happy new year!

My 450h goes in next week for a replacement fuel flap release. The sponge is currently doing sterling service!🙂 Will also let you know the outcome.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

It's booked in tomorrow (Friday) so I will report back in due course ...

Well it has been replaced and the fuel cap release now works again. However they said it might be a temporary fix as they have replaced it with an identical part and they suggested they might be waiting for a "new improved" type of part.

There was also a recall done on the BCM, not sure what that was concerned with.

12 minutes ago, The_Doctor said:

Well it has been replaced and the fuel cap release now works again. However they said it might be a temporary fix as they have replaced it with an identical part and they suggested they might be waiting for a "new improved" type of part.

Let’s hope it works for at least the time it takes to get and improved version

i think when they get in touch with my replacement I may stick with the sponge until it has actually worked

I’m waiting for the LTA recall so may also wait to see if that BCM one comes through too and get them both done together 

oh the joys of a version 1 of a new model 😁

56 minutes ago, The_Doctor said:

Mine was just adjusted with no new parts and has worked perfectly every time since…. And I have filled up quite a lot with a 1000 mile trip and general running around. 🤞

On 1/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, The_Doctor said:

"BCM"? Can't work that one out?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links