Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cracked Rib

Mr Vlad

19 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Well it's been a short while. Saw my doctor today and got another sick note for another 3 weeks. I'm now getting full nights sleep because I can now, was able about a week ago, lay on my right side and on my left,where the crack was/is, side and that is a massive relief. Still got a niggling discomfort but no pain.

My work involves pulling 0.5 and 0.75 ton pallets. It's the pulling I'm not ready for as it involves the latimus dorsi muscles (the ones on the side muscles) which are the main ones used in pulling. 

So it's more watching YouTube videos lol. Oh my breathing is back to normal. I'm going on 2 and 3 mile walks. It's just brain numbing not being at work. Oh well such fun being 60 lol.

Make sure you are well before returning to work Vlad!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update time. Ok it's Wednesday today But I went back to work on Monday. Feeling 99% there with no twinges if I do any lifting of any sort. Thanks all who have posted. 👍

• Like 5

Certainly not David. In 1985 I was knocked off my motorbike ending up with a cracked hip socket. 6 weeks in traction (which was brilliant time because of 16 bed ward 13 of us were bikers lol) and 2-3 weeks on crutches then back to work. 1982 misjudged a right hander and backwards into a fence. Dislocated arm. 4 weeks later back in work. Had many more bike prangs lol that's where I got the name Mad Vlad lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Update time. Ok it's Wednesday today But I went back to work on Monday. Feeling 99% there with no twinges if I do any lifting of any sort. Thanks all who have posted. 👍

Glad to hear you're, 'mending and bending''.

Be well. 

And safe.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

We here's an update concerning compensation due to the negligence of the service station. 

I got an email on Thursday making a full and final offer. I told them where they can go. £7900. Yes a paltry offer. That's equivalent of the salary I'd have got in the time I was off.

Nothing in that offer to compensate for the pain and discomfort etc.

I wrote back stating that. I'm now waiting for their response. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 11:39 AM, Mr Vlad said:

Great advice and info Kieran. I was a bit dubious about the Naproxen and then being recommended to take paracetamol to counteract the effects that Naproxen have with the stomach lining. Actually had a chat about Ibuprofen and that I don't take paracetamol as its not as good as Ibuprofen but the doctor said not to use Ibuprofen with the Naproxen. Strange. I'll give Naproxen a few days just to see then I'll stick with Ibuprofen which I know works for me. 

I would have said see your GP who could have prescribed a high dosage of Co-Codamol. As you might guess because it is by prescription it's a stronger painkiller than those being mentioned. Then to keep the edge off you could have taken mid cycle Parrotseatemall or even aspirin.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

We here's an update concerning compensation due to the negligence of the service station. 

I got an email on Thursday making a full and final offer. I told them where they can go. £7900. Yes a paltry offer. That's equivalent of the salary I'd have got in the time I was off.

Nothing in that offer to compensate for the pain and discomfort etc.

I wrote back stating that. I'm now waiting for their response. 

2 years on, these things are slow. Imagine you have a fat file of correspondence by now? Have you sought any legal assistance and have you checked your household insurance to see if that covers you for the cost of any legal assistance in a case like this? No win no fee is a last resort, because I think you will find the fee is implicitly higher to account for the uncertainty over the outcome of the case. Although I will say yours sounds relatively straightforward from the information given.

My fall happened on a Welcome Break site. Their insurance is through QBE and its their Leeds office who are dealing with my claim.

I will However take advice from a local solicitor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

My fall happened on a Welcome Break site. Their insurance is through QBE and its their Leeds office who are dealing with my claim.

Vlad before you consult a local solicitor have you had a look at your household insurance to see if they can can cover this sort of issue?

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Very wise, Vladimir.  Let someone else stress over it!  As we all know, the initial offer is just to test the waters and see how ‘difficult’ you’re going to be.

If your solicitor can marshal any comparable cases that will obviously strengthen yours.  Hopefully, you’re now pretty much back to full mobility and looking to enjoy a less dramatic Christmas!

Stephen I don't think my house insurance covers such things. It's a fully comprehensive policy new for old and accidental damage one.

Len I've been fully recovered for about 6 months. The solicitor email did pee me off massively but I'm over that now.

• Like 1

Might I suggest you call your Home/ House insurers Help Line just to float these circumstances across their furrowed and professional brow ……. and when and if rejected take a next step …… 

Are you a member of the AA or RAC etc ……. their Help Lines too 

Exhaust the freebies first ……

Malc  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Stephen I don't think my house insurance covers such things. It's a fully comprehensive policy new for old and accidental damage one.

Len I've been fully recovered for about 6 months. The solicitor email did pee me off massively but I'm over that now.

The question is whether you’ve taken out additional legal insurance (or it’s included as a freebie - often is) with your household or car insurance. Do check - especially if you have a very good policy, more likely you have it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I am talking about any section that covers "Legal Assistance" for example for civil contracts etc. Often offered for matters not related to your home ,but up to a specified figure oft £100k.

In addition, Vlad cam you offer factual evidence as to exactly what your loss of earnings was? If so, that part there should be no real argument about. The matter of pain etc is where it get's contentious so look for similar cases and awards. On the latter of course solicitors who deal specifically with personal injuries will already have a very clear idea on this as a 'broken rib' will be fairly common. Had one just once playing Rugby.

• Like 2

Well I've done some research and on a couple of insurance claims companies sites were calculators where you input criteria. 

WTF. The offer I got was just about what would be put forward by the claims companies. 

Geez. I got more than that 35 years ago when I got knocked off my motorbike. And I was back in action sooner than with my rib injury. 

Nothing in my house insurance for legal aid etc.

Many years ago I was filling up my company car at a petrol station and when getting back into the car I slipped on some diesel spillage which resulted in me hitting the right side of my chest on the edge of the open door.

My immediate thought was “ouch that hurt a bit how stupid of me” before getting in the car. A few days later no pain or external signs of injury. Life went on.

Fast forward maybe a year or so and while out working I suddenly had trouble breathing with severe pain when doing so and difficulty talking.

I was around 10 miles from home and found that by taking a deep breath and holding it the pain subsided enough to enable me to drive home.

Being summer my wife at the time was outside the house as I pulled up and I asked her to phone an ambulance.

Blue lighted to the hospital, checked over again, x-rayed to be told I had a Pneumothorax (collapsed lung).

Not a very nice process to get it re-inflated twice after it collapsed again after a week.

Even when the hospital staff asked if I had suffered any trauma injuries I said no. It was only decades later that I realised the cause was due to that slip on the diesel in that petrol station.

These days my biggest concern is falling and breaking a hip or wrist. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Many years ago I was filling up my company car at a petrol station and when getting back into the car I slipped on some diesel spillage which resulted in me hitting the right side of my chest on the edge of the open door.

My immediate thought was “ouch that hurt a bit how stupid of me” before getting in the car. A few days later no pain or external signs of injury. Life went on.

Fast forward maybe a year or so and while out working I suddenly had trouble breathing with severe pain when doing so and difficulty talking.

I was around 10 miles from home and found that by taking a deep breath and holding it the pain subsided enough to enable me to drive home.

Being summer my wife at the time was outside the house as I pulled up and I asked her to phone an ambulance.

Blue lighted to the hospital, checked over again, x-rayed to be told I had a Pneumothorax (collapsed lung).

Not a very nice process to get it re-inflated twice after it collapsed again after a week.

Even when the hospital staff asked if I had suffered any trauma injuries I said no. It was only decades later that I realised the cause was due to that slip on the diesel in that petrol station.

These days my biggest concern is falling and breaking a hip or wrist. 

Did you enjoy blowing into the machine to lift the the little ball ? Get a bypass and you can double down on your enjoyment by collapsing both lungs.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links