Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New 235 55 20 Tyres for Rx450h

Need some direction !

2 x Yokohama Advant Sport - £358.92

2 x Yokohama Geolander - £382.89

2 x Pirelli Scorpion Verde -£383.89

2 Bridgestone Duellers - £426

Missed out on a couple of Michelin Pilots from Costco for £414 last week !

Now unavailable !

TIA

Edited by robpace

You are lucky to have that much choice. This time last year I was looking for  4 replacement tyres and locally I had a choice of Bridgestone Duellers or Bridgestone Duellers so guess what I went for. I would have liked the Geolanders as I think they have better wet road rating. 235/55 x20 seems to be an awkward size, can't get Michelin Cross Climates in that size and the Continental equivalents are expensive.

Whatever you go for if you are only buying 2 make sure the wet road performance rating is the same as the other tyres on the car. With this type of car you don't want to create any "interesting" handling characteristics.

1 hour ago, robpace said:

Need some direction !

2 x Yokohama Advant Sport - £358.92

2 x Yokohama Geolander - £382.89

2 x Pirelli Scorpion Verde -£383.89

2 Bridgestone Duellers - £426

Missed out on a couple of Michelin Pilots from Costco for £414 last week !

Now unavailable !

TIA

My 2021 RX came with Dunlop Sport Maxx as factory fit. They seem fine to me!

I fitted the Geolanders on my 2017 RX and was very happy with them in both summer and the snow and ice of winter.

The new 2022 RX has come with Dunlop Sport Max and I am a little nervous with them at moment as not sure how they are going to handle the snow and ice with being summer tyres.

My Ph3 RX450H came with Duelers so have always replaced with them.  I've been very happy, no problems, but not really driven much in our current conditions so I can't comment on snow performance.  

My RX is still on the factory fitted Bridgestone Duelers. They seem OK to me, but maybe there are better choices out there. I shall be keeping a look out when mine are needing to be changed 🙂

I was a bit sceptical about the Duellers but they are pretty good.  Problem is there is no perfect tyre.  One may have better wet braking where as another is better in the dry.  Handling and aquaplaning also vary and then there is the noise, comfort and rolling resistance.  Its comes down to the climate you drive in and what your priorities are in a tyre. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

I was a bit sceptical about the Duellers but they are pretty good.  Problem is there is no perfect tyre.  One may have better wet braking where as another is better in the dry.  Handling and aquaplaning also vary and then there is the noise, comfort and rolling resistance.  Its comes down to the climate you drive in and what your priorities are in a tyre. 

Exactly, unless one drives at 9/10ths everywhere there really isn't a huge difference between tyres from premium manufacturers. 

just put a set of the new Yokohama Bluearth Winter V906s on the car.  Not my preferred choice but that was the only stock in the UK and I have been looking for 3 months.  Initial thoughts is that they are ok.  Tried on snow, ice and wet roads.

I bought 4 GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymetric 3 SUV from Halfords for £670, it seemed to be the best offer and they seem pretty ok so far, will see how they wear.  I chose them based on my previous experience with GoodYear on a z4 i had and i loved them. 

The tyres size is pretty ridiculous for a 20 inch wheel and not too many options out there. 

I would always chose Michelin but unfortunately it s almost impossible to find them in stock. Cross Climate 2 SUV seem to be a great choice for this car but they don t do the size yet. Second choice would Primacy 4 SUV as everyone says are super comfortable. Not really worth to look for Pilot Sports because the car itself is not made to be very sporty. I had Pilot Sport 4 on my previous gs450h and they lasted for over 30k miles and i was really pushing it, what a car! 

PS : I would avoid Dunlop, had them on 3 cars and they were rubbish, all my friends confirmed. But maybe the newer models are improved, not sure. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm looking to replace all 4 tyres on my 2016 RX450h, currently have Yokohama Geo's (hadn't heard of Yokohama until I bought the RX450h) wondered if the advise above is still valid or would you choose a different brand. Currently split between Michelin Cross Climate 2 and Bridgestones.

Have done some research on the internet, found a few people had put budget tyres on, but not keen on those, plus want to keep the car for a good few years and think budget tyres might be false economy, as I currently do between 7,000 and 10,000 miles per year.

What tyres would you advise on in terms of best value for money, longevity and fuel economy?

I changed the OEM bridgestones duelers to Yokohama Geolandars. The Bridgestones were showing some hairline cracks around the sidewall after 3 years and the threads were at ~3 mm. Can't fault the Geolandars for the price at the time it was around £160 each including fitting. I find them comfortable and didn't notice any change in noise despite the higher db rating. No change in fuel economy 35-37 mpg. Good performance in the wet and worked well over winter (didn't try them on heavy snow). After 5000 miles threads are like new above 7 mm. 

On the other hand, a friend bought an approved used NX late last year with budget tyres (Triangle) all round. No complaints over winter etc..  

I have the Bridgestones on during the summer and they are smooth on faster roads.  Big difference between them and my winters.  Drive the car sensibly and they are fine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links