Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hit standing water

Driving tired in a place I'm not usually at to walk the dogs and accidentally hit standing water at about 35mph. No immediate problems but there's always the worry about the transmission, hopefully the RX is resilient to such things

17 minutes ago, b4u2 said:

Did you drive through the water or until hit it ?

Shot through it, it was enough to spray out sideways from the car and a little bit came up but didn't swamp the windscreen.  I should have braked but it was dark and I just didn't react quickly enough.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Few inches at most. Car still runs so probably ok

In which case I wouldn't give it a second thought, car's are designed to handle it. In fact yesterday I had a lawn sprinkler blasting water along the underside of mine, to rinse off any dirt and salt.

• Like 1

Hello,

"In fact yesterday I had a lawn sprinkler blasting water along the underside of mine, to rinse off any dirt and salt."

Very good idea, it's better than crawling under the car with a water spray ...

I've waded through stream fords in mine with water to the sills and no adverse effects at all.  They're fine with the underside getting a soaking.  I clean mine off periodically and liberally spray and brush in Lanoguard.  It's kept the worst of the winter road salt at bay and is highly recommended.  One one litre bottle is about £60 but enough for three good treatments so good for 4 or 5 years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Gen 1 year 2000 RX300 is used to water. Where we live roads are always flooded to a foot or two some times and never a problem. Cant be bothered to slow unless there is another car or pedestrian near, then I crawl by!

I have been crossing rivers in Africa with Renault 4, Mercedes 350SE, Peugeot 604 and a couple of other cars with water up to the bottom of the car and nothing ever happened, so why should a Lexus not be able to handle such?

Think about? do electrics and water go together? answer is NO they don't. The Electronics on modern cars these days are the most expensive parts of a car(numerous ecu's, wiring looms etc etc) Your Renault 4, Mercedes 350SE, Peugeot 604 and others were 90% mechanical, so no ecu's for this that and the other, or miles and miles of wiring looms. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scudney said:

Think about? do electrics and water go together? answer is NO they don't. The Electronics on modern cars these days are the most expensive parts of a car(numerous ecu's, wiring looms etc etc) Your Renault 4, Mercedes 350SE, Peugeot 604 and others were 90% mechanical, so no ecu's for this that and the other, or miles and miles of wiring looms. 

I am pretty sure the people constructing the cars are aware of that fact and make sure that the parts that need to be kept dry are just that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links