Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at maybe buying an NX

We are looking at possibly changing our car this year (2023).

We've had our  IS300h coming up to 5 years and will be 8 yrs old this year. There's nothing wrong with it (touch wood), but we'd like a change.

I want something with a more few bells and whistles, like reversing camera and auto folding mirrors, as well as Android Auto, which our Yaris has.

I'd like something about three years old, so have been looking at the NX 300h.  What sort of MPG do people get from theirs, and do they recommend

them ? We'd get another IS, but they no longer seem to be available, not with the specs I want anyway.

38 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Go for the NX 300h Alan You won,t Be disappointed..Mpg around 37MPG Its an Amazing Car..R

Alan. I agree with everything that Ronnie says. I ran an NX300H for 4 years and it was a brilliant car. Petrol consumption varies with the season but overall I achieved in excess of 40mpg. Go for the NX300h with Luxury pack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken R said:

Alan. I agree with everything that Ronnie says. I ran an NX300H for 4 years and it was a brilliant car. Petrol consumption varies with the season but overall I achieved in excess of 40mpg. Go for the NX300h with Luxury pack.

Do the 3 year cars have Android Auto? 

The NX300h is a superb car, the higher specced ones have all the toys, are quiet, comfortable and relaxing places to be.

We’ve had ours for nearly 5 years from new and have been very happy with it. The only place it’s a little out of it’s element is at speed on the motorway - fuel consumption isn’t fantastic here, and up long inclines, the engine can get a little thrashy. Luckily for us, this kind of usage happens rarely. 

We average about 40mpg in summer, and about 35 during winter for mixed-urban driving. Cruising at 80+mph (where allowed) seems to deliver 30mpg, possibly slightly less.

3 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize the NX was quite so thirsty. Especially after getting 50+ mpg from

our IS300h.

Have you thought about a newer Is 300H? Is you want to change and improve what you have.

Having read that so many want Android Auto it made me curious. Searched for it on Google and found this

https://www.androidpolice.com/things-i-hate-about-android-auto/

If need navigation (sucks in Lexus cars) I would start smartphone and use navigation there.

Always want music, Lexus have excellent audio system in ML, so either have a DVD with more than sufficient music in 512kbps (m4a), good enough quality to listen to while driving, better is unfortunately not possible without having audio player connected to car vis line-in.

Phone calls can be accepted on steering wheel and looking around in the car to press different places to get entertained is not what I find correct while driving.

So decided that I do not want Android Auto or anything to get concentration away from driving the car as safe as I can.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize the NX was quite so thirsty. Especially after getting 50+ mpg from

our IS300h.

It is a heavier car with less power and aerodynamics of a brick in comparison to the IS so yes consumption will be increased. 

Having said that, 37-40mpg compared to 50mpg is basically £340 if counting a fuel price of £1.50/l and doing 10k miles per year which is not that much in the grand scheme of things

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Having read that so many want Android Auto it made me curious. Searched for it on Google and found this

https://www.androidpolice.com/things-i-hate-about-android-auto/

I have Android Auto on our Toyota Yaris.  It's great for navigation with voice control.

2 hours ago, Moleman said:

Have you thought about a newer Is 300H? Is you want to change and improve what you have.

I've been looking through various adds for used IS300h models , but the specs don't mention the

features I am after.  Maybe I need to move over to the IS300 section  ?

Something I didn't take into account was that my IS300h  fits nicely in my garage, most of the other cars are longer and wider.

The NX is shorter and only a fraction wider, but might be too tall...So many things to ponder 🤔

• Like 1

I changed from an IS300 to an NX300 mostly because I found the seat height too low. I looked at the ES at the same time but went with the NX because it was in stock. 
Differences between the NX and IS include much wider turning circle and the fuel consumption was down around 42 Mph compared to 48 in the IS. And it was slower. 
The ES is a great car, didn’t find any issues with the seat height or comfort or speed but the back seats don’t fold down.  Whichever you pick it will still be a great car. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 11:05 PM, Hadrian said:

Something I didn't take into account was that my IS300h  fits nicely in my garage, most of the other cars are longer and wider.

The NX is shorter and only a fraction wider, but might be too tall...So many things to ponder 🤔

How tall are you?
I ask as I have the same situation. Will it fit in the garage.
I'm 5'10" and can walk into my garage with a couple of inches clearance from the garage door above my head. 
The NX is not as tall as me and I can see over the roof rails, so knew it would fit where my EVO-X used to be.

As to length, remember that the NX has a fairly square back, depending on your garage door it may not clear the roof line when closing it.

I had a tilt up and retractable door originally which only cleared the roof line by an inch and a half. So, I was very weary as it wobbles it could potentially catch the car if I wasn't paying attention. Changed the door for a sectional up and over door. My thought was spending £2k on a door was worth it so it wouldn't potentially catch a £47k car resulting in a repair bill.

4 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

How tall are you?
I ask as I have the same situation. Will it fit in the garage.
I'm 5'10" and can walk into my garage with a couple of inches clearance from the garage door above my head. 
The NX is not as tall as me and I can see over the roof rails, so knew it would fit where my EVO-X used to be.

As to length, remember that the NX has a fairly square back, depending on your garage door it may not clear the roof line when closing it.

I had a tilt up and retractable door originally which only cleared the roof line by an inch and a half. So, I was very weary as it wobbles it could potentially catch the car if I wasn't paying attention. Changed the door for a sectional up and over door. My thought was spending £2k on a door was worth it so it wouldn't potentially catch a £47k car resulting in a repair bill.

Would reversing into the garage not have been a cheaper solution? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've done all of the measurements, and the NX wouldn't be a problem.

I always back into my garage, and most other parking places.

I'm having second thoughts now, and am now looking at the (Used) ES

Its a fraction longer and wider than the IS, but would still go in my garage

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 11:05 AM, Hadrian said:

I've done all of the measurements, and the NX wouldn't be a problem.

I always back into my garage, and most other parking places.

I'm having second thoughts now, and am now looking at the (Used) ES

Its a fraction longer and wider than the IS, but would still go in my garage

I had an NX 300h Luxury for a year up until last November, nice car but decided SUV is not for me. We were on holiday in September & travelled all around Spain in it, average MPG was 35  

I bought an ES 300h with premium pack (69 plate so last before the 2010 price rise and so even with premium paint (mesa red) just under the £40k price new so no higher rate VED.

Obviously less boot space & no folding seats but it’s adequate for me  I also purchased the modified boot tray to fit a space saver spare wheel (separate post in this forum). There is less wind noise than the NX but obviously access is more tricky with the lower seating position. Mine is almost Takumi spec with heated & ventilated seats with memory, extended seat cushion (electric), rear sun blinds, BSM etc. On a run last week to Ipswich & back (320 miles) I averaged 48mpg. I also had the apple Car Play upgrade done.

Horses for courses, I would test drive both. I absolutely love the ES but that’s my personal preference to suit my lifestyle  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links