Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roadtrip to Germany

13 hours ago, DavidCM said:

A GPS satnav will give you a more accurate reading.Might be better if you had a passenger to read it.

My knuckles were white and my bum tight at an indicated 150 mph on the bowl at Millbrook when I was having my "free" Porsche driving tuition,just before they opened their own track at Silverstone. Unfortunately rain stopped (high speed) play .It takes a lot of faith to take your hands off the wheel at about 125 mph.

Took mine to 150 at Bedford Autodrome, would have gone further but run out of straight. One thing is for sure, both hands on the steering wheel but even so it felt solid, planted, handling the speed very well indeed.

By coincidence I've just been reading an article about the Bugatti Chiron Centodieci.Top speed--305+mph, at which it covers a mile in 12 SECONDS and empties it's 100 litre fuel tank in 7 minutes/35 miles....so no more complaining about RCF fuel consumption.(I think that equates to about 3.8 mpg).

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BillNick said:

Appreciate speedos are always on the fast side but I wonder if it makes it more accurate being a digital tachometer? Guess not as still a mechanical speed sensor feeding the output?

More accurate in that is removes any human error in reading it correctly but the other inaccuracies remain. The speed sensor (ABS sensors) are providing a digital signal but the circumference of the wheel is a preset value that doesn't truly represent reality because of thread wear and tyre pressures. That is then combined with the laws that state it has to read over and within certain limits (in the EU at least) - and Toyota always push towards the max. end of those limits.

Not really applicable for the Fs as they don't have different wheel size options, but for the regular models there is always a percentage or two different in circumference between the options because of set tyre sizes and the speedos aren't calibrated for individual trim levels which leads to more inaccuracy/inconsistency.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

More accurate in that is removes any human error in reading it correctly but the other inaccuracies remain. The speed sensor (ABS sensors) are providing a digital signal but the circumference of the wheel is a preset value that doesn't truly represent reality because of thread wear and tyre pressures. That is then combined with the laws that state it has to read over and within certain limits (in the EU at least) - and Toyota always push towards the max. end of those limits.

Not really applicable for the Fs as they don't have different wheel size options, but for the regular models there is always a percentage or two different in circumference between the options because of set tyre sizes and the speedos aren't calibrated for individual trim levels which leads to more inaccuracy/inconsistency.

Didn’t realise that they use an ABS sensor for speed, thought it was derived from a sensor on the gearbox.  Makes sense I suppose, pulse input from actual would be easy to translate into speed.  

I would bet that RCF would go 200mph / 320kmh on speedometer considering the fact that 2 of my previous cars went like this:

- Audi RS6 2004 auto 4.2 TT stock 450hp went 310km/h

- Audi S6 2001 manual 4.2 NA stock 340hp went 285km/h on speedometer 

My favourite road in Germany was from Hannover to Dresden. Very even, not much traffic in certain hours. About 10-15 years ago anyway I did frequently 300km/h on polish motorways as the highest speeding ticket was 500zl/100GBP so believe me or not I simply didn’t bother to pay that even if cought heh

I still hold sort of unofficial record between friends to get from Krakow to Legnica in 1 hour 41 minutes 🙂 

Just found out my current UK insurance policy only covers me for "minimum cover required by each country" when driving abroad, which means I will be 3rd party only when I leave UK - NO THANK YOU.

I am underwritten by LV via broker Performance Direct who do not offer any comprehensive EU policies.

Has anyone ever taken out a specific EU/Holiday policy? If so please leave recommendations below.

Thanks

Update: Called my broker again to discuss possible new policy. Spoke to a different advisor who wanted to check with my underwriter herself that they wont "upgrade" my current policy.

They agreed to upgrade and not only that, totally free of charge! (Highway/Liverpool Victoria - Modified Car Policy)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you are in the region of Germany near the B500, I would whole heartly recommend you take a look. It's one of the best roads in europe ( for a biker ). We drove a section of it last year on our way back from Switzerland. It was amazing. The road from Freiberg im Breisgau to Treiberg is a highlight....Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany to Triberg, Germany - Google Maps 

• Like 1

Indeed, we are driving the entire B500 on our 3rd day.

We head South from Stuttgart to pickup the bottom of the B500 to start heading North / North West back to the UK over couple more days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Supacool1 said:

If you are in the region of Germany near the B500, I would whole heartly recommend you take a look. It's one of the best roads in europe ( for a biker ). We drove a section of it last year on our way back from Switzerland. It was amazing. The road from Freiberg im Breisgau to Treiberg is a highlight....Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany to Triberg, Germany - Google Maps 

Seconded for the B500, did it a few years ago in the IS300h, highly recommend it; funnily enough we're currently staying in Freiburg and did the route from Triberg today, catching the last of the snow (apologies for posting the RX in the RC-F section 😉).

Enjoy your trip Billy, we visit the region most years and absolutely love it!

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5281.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, wow. What a weekend that was! Never done a driving holiday before always wanted to and boy am I glad I did. Wont be the last for sure.

Will try share pics of the highlights but really great weekend.

The Autobhans are great fun and uber safe! In fact, I found all drivers in EU very disciplined making for an enjoyable and safe journey at all times. As some of you may know its hard to get a full run flat out for top speed owing to traffic (important to respect other road users who are not driving their nuts off) and roadworks etc, but found a nice empty stretch on the last day and topped out at 271kph / 169mph before lifting off for a car that had pulled out way ahead.

I am sure if I got up at 5am and went out on quieter roads she would have gone to 180mph for sure.

Top speed aside, these cars (RCF) are incredible machines. 6/7hrs driving for 4 days straight with some very high speed sprints a lot of the time. Not one complaint or noise or sign of overheating. Loved it.

Did cost me £550 in fuel however hahahaha, but well worth the money.

Neck and neck with my friends RS3 which is stage 2 tuned. He had the edge off the line but once we were over 120mph I always pulled away 😉

Anyone wants any pointers DM me. I will come back shortly with pics and a diary for each day.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BillNick said:

I found all drivers in EU very disciplined making for an enjoyable and safe journey at all times

Its the one's who display "GB or UK"  on the rear of their cars who are the most troublesome

Sadly I would agree. There is loads more discipline on the motorways in Europe, that's for sure!

Negligible around local roads however.

Whilst I did display a UK sticker, I like to think I drove to the local etiquette - plenty of German cars overtaking me driving faster at times too. 

On 6/7/2023 at 3:52 PM, BillNick said:

all drivers in EU very disciplined

Did you drive anywhere in Belgium off the Autoroutes.....

On 6/7/2023 at 3:52 PM, BillNick said:

Well, wow. What a weekend that was! Never done a driving holiday before always wanted to and boy am I glad I did. Wont be the last for sure.

We usually do the Dover-Calais or Dover-Dunkirk crossing* and then drive up the coast road to Belgium, staying a couple of nights in Ostend maybe, or wherever. Then on to somewhere in Germany for a couple of nights and then on to where we spend the majority of our holiday time, Czechia and Poland.

No specific destinations in mind, no hotels booked in advance, just go wherever the wind takes us. Never had to spend a night in the car as there's always hotels somewhere, never been disappointed with any trip or aspect of any trip. Seen some fantastic places and met some wonderful people along the way.

*Could never use the tunnel because previous cars have been LPG. Never understood why camper vans/caravans with their gas bottles are allowed in yet LPG-fuelled cars aren't but hey ho. Oh, and when I say a "driving" holiday I mean a "touring" holiday, not a high-speed one :laugh:

Belgium; lovely people, 2nd best beer in the world, lots of history, especially military...but I found the driving standards terrible, especially on roundabouts 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links